Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > compacting error

Reply
Thread Tools

compacting error

 
 
Dennis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2005
When I try to compact my mail folder I get the following error: The
folder 'Inbox' cannot be compacted because another operation is in
progress. Please try again later.

This seems to only happen after I have deleted mail and emptied the
trash folder. If I close Mozilla and restart, it will compact properly
until the next time the trash is deleted.

I have tried removing the inbox.msf file but it doesn't seem to help.
It never used to do this but I don't know what could have changed.
Anyone have any thoughts? Using Mozilla 1.7.3.

Dennis
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Moz Champion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2005
Dennis wrote:
> When I try to compact my mail folder I get the following error: The
> folder 'Inbox' cannot be compacted because another operation is in
> progress. Please try again later.
>
> This seems to only happen after I have deleted mail and emptied the
> trash folder. If I close Mozilla and restart, it will compact properly
> until the next time the trash is deleted.
>
> I have tried removing the inbox.msf file but it doesn't seem to help.
> It never used to do this but I don't know what could have changed.
> Anyone have any thoughts? Using Mozilla 1.7.3.
>
> Dennis


When you delete mail and empty the trash folder, a compact operation is
already scheduled to be performed on the inbox. There is no need to
compact the folders manually (or via the command) at that point.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dennis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2005
Moz Champion wrote:

> Dennis wrote:
>> When I try to compact my mail folder I get the following error:
>> The folder 'Inbox' cannot be compacted because another operation
>> is in progress. Please try again later.
>>
>> This seems to only happen after I have deleted mail and emptied
>> the trash folder. If I close Mozilla and restart, it will
>> compact properly until the next time the trash is deleted.
>>
>> I have tried removing the inbox.msf file but it doesn't seem to
>> help. It never used to do this but I don't know what could have
>> changed. Anyone have any thoughts? Using Mozilla 1.7.3.
>>
>> Dennis

>
> When you delete mail and empty the trash folder, a compact
> operation is already scheduled to be performed on the inbox. There
> is no need to compact the folders manually (or via the command) at
> that point.


I didn't know that. Strange that I never noticed the error before
though When 'trash' is deleted, are all the other folders (sent,
drafts,templates) also compacted at the same time? If so, what is
the function of the 'compact folders' menu selection? Is it just to
clean up after messages have been manualy moved around? Thank you
very much for your input.

Dennis

 
Reply With Quote
 
Moz Champion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2005
Dennis wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>
>>Dennis wrote:
>>
>>>When I try to compact my mail folder I get the following error:
>>>The folder 'Inbox' cannot be compacted because another operation
>>>is in progress. Please try again later.
>>>
>>>This seems to only happen after I have deleted mail and emptied
>>>the trash folder. If I close Mozilla and restart, it will
>>>compact properly until the next time the trash is deleted.
>>>
>>>I have tried removing the inbox.msf file but it doesn't seem to
>>>help. It never used to do this but I don't know what could have
>>>changed. Anyone have any thoughts? Using Mozilla 1.7.3.
>>>
>>>Dennis

>>
>>When you delete mail and empty the trash folder, a compact
>>operation is already scheduled to be performed on the inbox. There
>>is no need to compact the folders manually (or via the command) at
>>that point.

>
>
> I didn't know that. Strange that I never noticed the error before
> though When 'trash' is deleted, are all the other folders (sent,
> drafts,templates) also compacted at the same time? If so, what is
> the function of the 'compact folders' menu selection? Is it just to
> clean up after messages have been manualy moved around? Thank you
> very much for your input.
>
> Dennis
>


It all depends on your settings in
Offline Settings Disk Space - the limit you have set before
compaction takes place

for example: If you have 100 K set in Disk Space, and you delete 120K of
messages from the inbox, then its slated for compaction

I didnt explain it properly previously, sorry.

The compact folders allows you to compact the folders regardless if your
limit in Disk Space

Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->Offline & Connection Settings <Offline
Settings> Disk Space

are reached or not.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dennis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2005
Moz Champion wrote:

> Dennis wrote:
>> Moz Champion wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Dennis wrote:
>>>
>>>>When I try to compact my mail folder I get the following error:
>>>>The folder 'Inbox' cannot be compacted because another operation
>>>>is in progress. Please try again later.
>>>>
>>>>This seems to only happen after I have deleted mail and emptied
>>>>the trash folder. If I close Mozilla and restart, it will
>>>>compact properly until the next time the trash is deleted.
>>>>
>>>>I have tried removing the inbox.msf file but it doesn't seem to
>>>>help. It never used to do this but I don't know what could have
>>>>changed. Anyone have any thoughts? Using Mozilla 1.7.3.
>>>>
>>>>Dennis
>>>
>>>When you delete mail and empty the trash folder, a compact
>>>operation is already scheduled to be performed on the inbox.
>>>There is no need to compact the folders manually (or via the
>>>command) at that point.

>>
>>
>> I didn't know that. Strange that I never noticed the error
>> before though When 'trash' is deleted, are all the other
>> folders (sent, drafts,templates) also compacted at the same time?
>> If so, what is the function of the 'compact folders' menu
>> selection? Is it just to clean up after messages have been
>> manualy moved around? Thank you very much for your input.
>>
>> Dennis
>>

>
> It all depends on your settings in
> Offline Settings Disk Space - the limit you have set before
> compaction takes place
>
> for example: If you have 100 K set in Disk Space, and you delete
> 120K of messages from the inbox, then its slated for compaction
>
> I didnt explain it properly previously, sorry.
>
> The compact folders allows you to compact the folders regardless
> if your limit in Disk Space
>
> Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->Offline & Connection Settings
> <Offline Settings> Disk Space
>
> are reached or not.



Thanks for that information. I found the settings you mentioned
under Edit-->Preferences-->Mail & Newsgroups-->Offline & Disk Space.
That setting of 100kb wasn't checked before but it is now. From what
I understand this should now compact the folders as necessary and I
should have no need for the manual compacting anymore. Thanks again
for your help.

Dennis
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
compacting folders in OE Paul Burdett Computer Support 3 12-16-2005 05:47 PM
Compacting Outlook Express Paul IOW Computer Support 7 08-19-2005 04:37 PM
Wise compacting help needed Yamamoto Computer Support 6 09-24-2004 05:27 PM
Compacting an MSAccess Database with ADO.NET code (C#) Timothy ASP .Net 1 01-02-2004 01:42 PM
compacting similar nested for loops SplaTTer C++ 2 07-02-2003 09:16 PM



Advertisments