Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla : 'the document contains no data' error

Mozilla : 'the document contains no data' error

C. Tobini

Hello,

I have a little problem with Mozilla 1.7.3 for Mac OS X : when I try to
link a file (50 MB) with my gmail account (online not with a mail
software) I have a 'the document contains no data' message error.

Have someone an explanation about this problem ?

Thanks.

C. Tobini

Moz Champion

C. Tobini wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a little problem with Mozilla 1.7.3 for Mac OS X : when I try to
> link a file (50 MB) with my gmail account (online not with a mail
> software) I have a 'the document contains no data' message error.
>
> Have someone an explanation about this problem ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> C. Tobini

?? A 50 MEGABYTE mail file?

Well, heres your problem!
With Gmail, you can send and receive messages up to 10 megabytes (MB) in
size. However, the precise amount allowable will depend on the attachment.

When you add an attachment, the size of a file may increase because
transport encodings are automatically added. (Transport encodings are
the information that allows your message to be safely sent and read.)

This means that in some cases, attachments that are 6 to 10MB in size
may push the total message size above 10MB. When this happens, Gmail
displays a warning that your message exceeds the 10MB limit.

The message exceeds the gmail limit of 10mb per message. it probably
doesnt contain any data, because gmail refused to accept it.

C. Tobini

Hello Moz Champion and thanks for your answer,

Moz Champion wrote:
> ?? A 50 MEGABYTE mail file?
>
> Well, heres your problem!
> With Gmail, you can send and receive messages up to 10 megabytes (MB) in
> size []

OK, that's not a Mozilla problem, I didn't know that attachments were
size limited with gmail. Do you know I there is a technical limitation
or to avoid sending music or movie file ?

C. Tobini

Moz Champion

C. Tobini wrote:
> Hello Moz Champion and thanks for your answer,
>
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> ?? A 50 MEGABYTE mail file?
>>
>> Well, heres your problem!
>> With Gmail, you can send and receive messages up to 10 megabytes (MB)
>> in size []

> OK, that's not a Mozilla problem, I didn't know that attachments were
> size limited with gmail. Do you know I there is a technical limitation
> or to avoid sending music or movie file ?
>
> C. Tobini

The limitation is from
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/about.html

Simply reading that will give one an idea of what gmail was designed
around, a method of storing messages a person has received in one
place, (so they can be searched effectively). Since prior to gmail
most mail was limited to 10mb TOTAL mail box space, one can presume it
never occurred to Google that a message would exceed that! And since
Google Gmail was designed concurrent with the current efforts to reduce
copyright violations, I am sure that such a limitation was meant to
discourage it from becomiing a forum for exchange of programs/music/movies.

There wouldnt neccessarily be a technical limitation, it is an
arbritrary limit set by Google AFAIK

C. Tobini

Moz Champion wrote:
I am sure that such a limitation was meant to
> discourage it from becomiing a forum for exchange of programs/music/movies []

It's a pity, that would have been great for legal exchange (family),
more simple for basic users.

C. Tobini

Big Will

C. Tobini wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
> I am sure that such a limitation was meant to
>
>> discourage it from becomiing a forum for exchange of
>> programs/music/movies []

> It's a pity, that would have been great for legal exchange (family),
> more simple for basic users.
>
> C. Tobini

Well, in OE (boo! OE), you could tell it to break apart messages over
/x/ kb. It would be nice if there was an extension for this
functionality in Moz. Thunderbird (or Moz. Suite?). A quick google
didn't turn up anything.
Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

=?iso-8859-1?B?/vOh/y3e9SH9IG1A8Q==?=

I get that all the time with moz1.7.6/win98se. Not necessarliy with
gmail, though.

poly-p man

C. Tobini

Big Will wrote:
> Well, in OE (boo! OE), you could tell it to break apart messages over
> /x/ kb.

Hello Big Will and thanks for your answer. I think I will force my
friends to use a FTP software, that will be more simple for me

C. Tobini

Ed Mullen

Big Will wrote:

> C. Tobini wrote:
>
>> Moz Champion wrote:
>> I am sure that such a limitation was meant to
>>
>>> discourage it from becomiing a forum for exchange of
>>> programs/music/movies []

>> It's a pity, that would have been great for legal exchange (family),
>> more simple for basic users.
>>
>> C. Tobini

> Well, in OE (boo! OE), you could tell it to break apart messages over
> /x/ kb. It would be nice if there was an extension for this
> functionality in Moz. Thunderbird (or Moz. Suite?). A quick google
> didn't turn up anything.
> ------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------
> Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
> customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
> web gateway!
> -- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

Combine and decode at: http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_combine.html

The utilities mentioned will also encode and break a file into smaller
chunks. Granted, it's not an extension, it isn't a one-step operation,
but it does work.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net