Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can't send email.

Reply
Thread Tools

Can't send email.

 
 
ap2tek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2005
Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Z
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2005
ap2tek wrote:
> Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
> as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
> computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!


.... smtp.bellsouth.net, not stmp...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Moz Champion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2005
Z wrote:
> ap2tek wrote:
>
>> Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
>> as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
>> computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!

>
>
> ... smtp.bellsouth.net, not stmp...



Are you sure its smtp.bellsouth.net?
this implies its mail.bellsouth.net
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...391541033.aspx
and this implies that as well
http://www.thedomainworks.com/smtp_settings.php

Talk to Bellsouth to see what they say it should be (looks like it
should be mail.bellsouth.net to me)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Z
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2005
Moz Champion wrote:
>>> Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
>>> as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
>>> computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!


>> ... smtp.bellsouth.net, not stmp...


> Are you sure its smtp.bellsouth.net?
> this implies its mail.bellsouth.net
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...391541033.aspx
> and this implies that as well
> http://www.thedomainworks.com/smtp_settings.php
>
> Talk to Bellsouth to see what they say it should be (looks like it
> should be mail.bellsouth.net to me)


All I'm sure of is that it's not stmp.

I suspect the poster mistyped it when he setup his acct after his
computer went down.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2005
On 2005-04-27, Moz Champion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Z wrote:
>> ap2tek wrote:
>>
>>> Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
>>> as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
>>> computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!

>>
>>
>> ... smtp.bellsouth.net, not stmp...

>
>
> Are you sure its smtp.bellsouth.net?
> this implies its mail.bellsouth.net
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...391541033.aspx
> and this implies that as well
> http://www.thedomainworks.com/smtp_settings.php
>
> Talk to Bellsouth to see what they say it should be (looks like it
> should be mail.bellsouth.net to me)


Easy enough to find out:

[john@vector john]$ ping smtp.bellsouth.net
ping: unknown host smtp.bellsouth.net
[john@vector john]$ ping mail.bellsouth.net
PING mail.bellsouth.net (205.152.59.16) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from mail00.mail.bellsouth.net (205.152.59.16): icmp_seq=1
ttl=239 time=91.8 ms


--

John ((E-Mail Removed))
 
Reply With Quote
 
Moz Champion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2005
John Thompson wrote:
> On 2005-04-27, Moz Champion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Z wrote:
>>
>>>ap2tek wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>Using Bellsouth.net as my outgoing mail server. Set up
>>>>as"stmp.bellsouth.net" to send email but it always fails. Before
>>>>computer went down it worked fine. Help!!!
>>>
>>>
>>>... smtp.bellsouth.net, not stmp...

>>
>>
>>Are you sure its smtp.bellsouth.net?
>>this implies its mail.bellsouth.net
>>http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...391541033.aspx
>>and this implies that as well
>>http://www.thedomainworks.com/smtp_settings.php
>>
>>Talk to Bellsouth to see what they say it should be (looks like it
>>should be mail.bellsouth.net to me)

>
>
> Easy enough to find out:
>
> [john@vector john]$ ping smtp.bellsouth.net
> ping: unknown host smtp.bellsouth.net
> [john@vector john]$ ping mail.bellsouth.net
> PING mail.bellsouth.net (205.152.59.16) 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from mail00.mail.bellsouth.net (205.152.59.16): icmp_seq=1
> ttl=239 time=91.8 ms
>
>


doesnt neccessary indicate its the correct outbound server tho.
mail.bellsouth.net is the incoming as well, so should ping

For example
smtp.sympatico.ca returns unknown host (as it should)
because the proper outbound is
smtp1.sympatico.ca <g>

Your test does prove that smtp.bellsouth.net is not the correct one tho,
good idea

The user should still contact Bellsouth to get the proper outbound server
 
Reply With Quote
 
ap2tek
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2005
Thanks to all. I mistyped in my post but not when setting up email. The
problem was solved when I used "mail.bellsouth.net".
Again thanks to all that helped me.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Socket send functions only allow you to send strings? Ryan Parmeter Ruby 4 09-05-2007 03:29 AM
Mail.SmtpMail.Send won't send to one of my addresses Nathan Sokalski ASP .Net 3 11-23-2005 09:25 PM
Pre-Send Request Headers, Pre-Send Request Content =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gQnVydG9u?= ASP .Net 0 12-31-2004 06:29 PM
Send command around network =?Utf-8?B?UG9wZXll?= Wireless Networking 0 08-18-2004 07:13 AM
Does Socket.send send all bytes? Chris Reay Ruby 2 11-04-2003 08:22 PM



Advertisments