Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird - check for email periodically

Thunderbird - check for email periodically

Jive Dadson

How does one configure Thunderbird to check for email periodically?
I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't find a setting for it.

Thankee.

Doug G

Jive Dadson wrote:
> How does one configure Thunderbird to check for email periodically?
> I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't find a setting for it.
>
> Thankee.

Tools -> Account Settings -> <account name> -> Server Settings, "Check
for new messages every ___ minutes."

Jive Dadson

"Doug G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jive Dadson wrote:
> > How does one configure Thunderbird to check for email

periodically?
> > I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't find a setting for

it.

> > Thankee.

> Tools -> Account Settings -> <account name> -> Server Settings,

"Check
> for new messages every ___ minutes."

I've got that set to ever "1" minutes. I also checked the box to
download mail from the server. But it is not automatically fetching
the mail. When I do it "by hand", it works fine. Any ideas?

Doug G

Jive Dadson wrote:
> "Doug G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jive Dadson wrote:
>>> How does one configure Thunderbird to check for email
>>> periodically? I've poked around quite a bit, but I can't find a
>>> setting for it.
>>>
>>> Thankee.

>> Tools -> Account Settings -> <account name> -> Server Settings,
>> "Check for new messages every ___ minutes."

> I've got that set to ever "1" minutes. I also checked the box to
> download mail from the server. But it is not automatically fetching
> the mail. When I do it "by hand", it works fine. Any ideas?

Try changing it to every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes is the default.

Moz Champion

Doug G wrote:
> Jive Dadson wrote:
>
>> "Doug G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Tools -> Account Settings -> <account name> -> Server Settings,
>>> "Check for new messages every ___ minutes."

>> I've got that set to ever "1" minutes. I also checked the box to
>> download mail from the server. But it is not automatically fetching
>> the mail. When I do it "by hand", it works fine. Any ideas?
>>

> Try changing it to every 5 minutes, every 10 minutes is the default.

Setting mail checks to a low value is not recommended.
If the second check is begun before the first check is completed, the
program wont check anything at all
for example, if you have messages in your mail box (on the server), and
they take over a minute to download, the second check begins before the
first is complete and computers dont do two things at the same time well
<g> Appearances notwithstanding, most computers do one thing at a time,
they simply are so quick and can switch back and forth so quickly that
it appears they are doing multiple jobs at the same time.

The messages will still be there on your server, so 5 minutes is fine
for most people. If you are expecting an urgent email you can always
use the manual get mail to check earlier.

Since you most likely DONT answer an email the moment it is received
anyway, why the rush to get it on your system? Set mail check time to 5
minutes or more.

v3r5u5 v3r5u5 is offline
Junior Member

In order for thunderbird to check your mail every one period of time you have to keep it running. This means that you must MINIMIZE not close thunderbird. I would not recommend it though since it utilizes plenty of memory.

If you still want to do it there is a tool that can minimize thunderbird as a tray icon. http://sniperbeamer.de/tbtray/

cheers
Yiannis

OH OH OH OH is offline
Junior Member

I also found this information very useful and accurate.
Thank you!