Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Firefox doPostBack (LinkButton) not working

Firefox doPostBack (LinkButton) not working

Mark Olbert

The doPostBack javascript functioning is not submitting the page when called by linkbuttons (or an
autopostback checkbox, for that matter).

I'm aware of a problem with Netscape browsers and the postback code, but I have a workaround for
that installed (and it looks like the code generated by ASP.NET when it renders the page does the
same thing, namely, setting document<[formname> = document.forms["<formname>"]). However, the
problem still exists under firefox.

Has anyone come up with a workaround for this incompatibility?

- Mark

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mark,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
As for the ASP.NET generated autopostback scripting problem on firefox,
based on my research, for the __doPostBack script, it should works on both
IE and other popular browser in clude Mozilla or the new firefox. And I've
tested on my local environment through the latest firefox 1.7, here is the
ASP.NET page generated script for __doPostBack function:

=================
<!--
function __doPostBack(eventTarget, eventArgument) {
var theform;
if (window.navigator.appName.toLowerCase().indexOf("m icrosoft") > -1) {
theform = document.Form1;
}
else {
theform = document.forms["Form1"];
}
theform.__EVENTTARGET.value = eventTarget.split("$").join(":");
theform.__EVENTARGUMENT.value = eventArgument;
theform.submit();
}
// -->
</script>
==================

And the script can correctly postback (submit the form) from my local test
environment(also tested through a Mozilla 1.6 client). Is it identical to
the ones on your side? Have you also tested on some other machine or client
to see whether you also encounter the same problem?

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: Mark Olbert <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| Subject: Firefox doPostBack (LinkButton) not working
| Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:11:32 -0700
|
| The doPostBack javascript functioning is not submitting the page when
called by linkbuttons (or an
| autopostback checkbox, for that matter).
|
| I'm aware of a problem with Netscape browsers and the postback code, but
I have a workaround for
| that installed (and it looks like the code generated by ASP.NET when it
renders the page does the
| same thing, namely, setting document<[formname> =
document.forms["<formname>"]). However, the
| problem still exists under firefox.
|
| Has anyone come up with a workaround for this incompatibility?
|
| - Mark

KMA

Mark,

I presume that you haven't got scripting turned off in Firefox security tab?

"Mark Olbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The doPostBack javascript functioning is not submitting the page when

called by linkbuttons (or an
> autopostback checkbox, for that matter).
>
> I'm aware of a problem with Netscape browsers and the postback code, but I

have a workaround for
> that installed (and it looks like the code generated by ASP.NET when it

renders the page does the
> same thing, namely, setting document<[formname> =

document.forms["<formname>"]). However, the
> problem still exists under firefox.
>
> Has anyone come up with a workaround for this incompatibility?
>
> - Mark

Mark Olbert

Nope, it's running.

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:56:46 +0200, "KMA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mark,
>
>I presume that you haven't got scripting turned off in Firefox security tab?

Mark Olbert

The only difference between the javascript functions is that the one on my page uses 'private'
instead of 'Form1'.

I checked the javascript console under Firefox when I'm on te problem page, and it turns out Firefox
does >>not<< like having properties named 'private'. Changing the name of the form element solved
the problem.

I'm not sure how the form element got named private. I can't recall ever naming a form element; I
just accept whatever default gets used when I create a page, or add one to a project.

- Mark

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:10:32 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT]) wrote:

>Hi Mark,
>
>Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
>As for the ASP.NET generated autopostback scripting problem on firefox,
>based on my research, for the __doPostBack script, it should works on both
>IE and other popular browser in clude Mozilla or the new firefox. And I've
>tested on my local environment through the latest firefox 1.7, here is the
>ASP.NET page generated script for __doPostBack function:
>
>=================
><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
><!--
> function __doPostBack(eventTarget, eventArgument) {
> var theform;
> if (window.navigator.appName.toLowerCase().indexOf("m icrosoft") > -1) {
> theform = document.Form1;
> }
> else {
> theform = document.forms["Form1"];
> }
> theform.__EVENTTARGET.value = eventTarget.split("$").join(":");
> theform.__EVENTARGUMENT.value = eventArgument;
> theform.submit();
> }
>// -->
></script>
>==================
>
>And the script can correctly postback (submit the form) from my local test
>environment(also tested through a Mozilla 1.6 client). Is it identical to
>the ones on your side? Have you also tested on some other machine or client
>to see whether you also encounter the same problem?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steven Cheng
>Microsoft Online Support
>
>Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
>(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
>rights.)
>
>--------------------
>| From: Mark Olbert <(E-Mail Removed)>
>| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
>| Subject: Firefox doPostBack (LinkButton) not working
>| Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:11:32 -0700
>|
>| The doPostBack javascript functioning is not submitting the page when
>called by linkbuttons (or an
>| autopostback checkbox, for that matter).
>|
>| I'm aware of a problem with Netscape browsers and the postback code, but
>I have a workaround for
>| that installed (and it looks like the code generated by ASP.NET when it
>renders the page does the
>| same thing, namely, setting document<[formname> =
>document.forms["<formname>"]). However, the
>| problem still exists under firefox.
>|
>| Has anyone come up with a workaround for this incompatibility?
>|
>| - Mark

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

So it's just a naming issue due to browser specific rules. Anyway, glad
that you've figured it out.
If there're any further issues we can help, please feel free to post here.

Thanks & Regards,

Cheng[MSFT]) wrote:

| >Hi Mark,
| >
| >Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| >As for the ASP.NET generated autopostback scripting problem on firefox,
| >based on my research, for the __doPostBack script, it should works on
both
| >IE and other popular browser in clude Mozilla or the new firefox. And
I've
| >tested on my local environment through the latest firefox 1.7, here is
the
| >ASP.NET page generated script for __doPostBack function:
| >
| >=================
| ><script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
| ><!--
| > function __doPostBack(eventTarget, eventArgument) {
| > var theform;
| > if (window.navigator.appName.toLowerCase().indexOf("m icrosoft") > -1) {
| > theform = document.Form1;
| > }
| > else {
| > theform = document.forms["Form1"];
| > }
| > theform.__EVENTTARGET.value = eventTarget.split("$").join(":");
| > theform.__EVENTARGUMENT.value = eventArgument;
| > theform.submit();
| > }
| >// -->
| ></script>
| >==================
| >
| >And the script can correctly postback (submit the form) from my local
test
| >environment(also tested through a Mozilla 1.6 client). Is it identical
| >the ones on your side? Have you also tested on some other machine or
client
| >to see whether you also encounter the same problem?
| >
| >Thanks,
| >
| >Steven Cheng
| >Microsoft Online Support
| >
| >Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| >(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| >rights.)
| >
| >--------------------
| >| From: Mark Olbert <(E-Mail Removed)>
| >| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| >| Subject: Firefox doPostBack (LinkButton) not working
| >| Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 08:11:32 -0700
>sv3-VZODfTr23qFJeEe4lNHKZg2IFBOUm6pzkDOvHROXEuK2qDPZM5 fpL7hT9PlSPDW8Jk/MGdx

>o00dBYS!DVvgqilOBH/ZuVYwLkplgXmQCMGZpRuEkAXk08QMxxppuizKi72hcOCknbhC0/97/O0

| >kA==
>TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfe ed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onl

>ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp. dca.giganews.com!nntp.giga

>ews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!news.gigane ws.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

| >|
| >| The doPostBack javascript functioning is not submitting the page when
| >called by linkbuttons (or an
| >| autopostback checkbox, for that matter).
| >|
| >| I'm aware of a problem with Netscape browsers and the postback code,
but
| >I have a workaround for
| >| that installed (and it looks like the code generated by ASP.NET when
it
| >renders the page does the
| >| same thing, namely, setting document<[formname> =
| >document.forms["<formname>"]). However, the
| >| problem still exists under firefox.
| >|
| >| Has anyone come up with a workaround for this incompatibility?
| >|
| >| - Mark
| >|

cooplarsh

I had Firefox 1.0.x working fine with my ASP.NET 1.1 app, but then
upgraded to 2.0, changed all of my pages to Master Pages that are XHTM
1.1 transitional compliant, and upgraded Firefox to 1.5.x all at th
same time. And now, although Opera and Netscape (using IE rendering a
default instead of Firefox) work fine, I'm running into a problem wit
any link buttons that do a postback on Firefox where nothing happen
when I click

I don't have an private variables variables, so I can't fix it tha
easily. And the javascript I'm seeing generated to handle the postbac
is a little different than the example you gave, e.g. mine is (se
below). So I was wondering if you had any suggestions.

theForm = document.forms['aspnetForm'];
if (!theForm) {
theForm = document.aspnetForm;
}
function __doPostBack(eventTarget, eventArgument) {
if (!theForm.onsubmit || (theForm.onsubmit() != false)) {
theForm.__EVENTTARGET.value = eventTarget;
theForm.__EVENTARGUMENT.value = eventArgument;
theForm.submit();
}
}
// --

-
cooplars

adyh adyh is offline
Junior Member

Thank God I found an usefull post in order to solve this issue in ASP.Net 2.0 and I want to share it with you.

BE SURE that you have the form tag inside the body tag. That will solve the problem.

d.mohana d.mohana is offline
Junior Member
Location: Bangalore

I am also having __doPostback problem in mozilla.
Trying to invoke __doPostBack from popup page using window.opener.__doPostBack("ControlID", ''), but the parent page is not rendrering properly i.e its not displaying latest date, if refresh the page then it will show updated data. Entire thing is working fine in IE, please help me out to make this to work in mozilla.

Chris Date Chris Date is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.mohana
I am also having __doPostback problem in mozilla.
Trying to invoke __doPostBack from popup page using window.opener.__doPostBack("ControlID", ''), but the parent page is not rendrering properly i.e its not displaying latest date, if refresh the page then it will show updated data. Entire thing is working fine in IE, please help me out to make this to work in mozilla.
Ive got the same Problem...
Having a WeekPlanner.aspx and this open a PopUp Window ( DatePicker.aspx ) but after picking a Date in the asp:Calendar ( changeDate Event ) the window doesnt close and doesnt DoPostBack in FireFox...
IE works fine!