Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Limit Thunderbird to only one instance running at a time?

Limit Thunderbird to only one instance running at a time?

Is there any way to limit Thunderbird (1.0.3) to only run one instance
of itself?

In other words, what I want is: if I have TB already running and try to
start it again - either by dbl clicking on the icon or Start > Programs
> ... or by dbl clicking on the account in the left-hand pane, a new

instance of it won't start.

Can this be done?

I sometimes dbl click on the newsgroup name underneath the nntp acct and
this starts a new instance TB and a new connection to my ISP's nntp
server - which then causes me to exceed my ISP's max connections. Once
that happens, I have to wait about an hour for the connection at the
nntp server end to time out and let me reconnect.

If I could configure TB to not start a new instance of itself, that
problem would go away.

Z wrote:
> Is there any way to limit Thunderbird (1.0.3) to only run one instance
> of itself?
>
> In other words, what I want is: if I have TB already running and try to
> start it again - either by dbl clicking on the icon or Start > Programs
> > ... or by dbl clicking on the account in the left-hand pane, a new

> instance of it won't start.
>
> Can this be done?
>
> I sometimes dbl click on the newsgroup name underneath the nntp acct and
> this starts a new instance TB and a new connection to my ISP's nntp
> server - which then causes me to exceed my ISP's max connections. Once
> that happens, I have to wait about an hour for the connection at the
> nntp server end to time out and let me reconnect.
>
> If I could configure TB to not start a new instance of itself, that
> problem would go away.

No ideas at all?

Peng

On 04/22/05 11:52, Z wrote:
> Is there any way to limit Thunderbird (1.0.3) to only run one instance
> of itself?
>
> In other words, what I want is: if I have TB already running and try to
> start it again - either by dbl clicking on the icon or Start > Programs
> > ... or by dbl clicking on the account in the left-hand pane, a new

> instance of it won't start.
>
> Can this be done?
>
> I sometimes dbl click on the newsgroup name underneath the nntp acct and
> this starts a new instance TB and a new connection to my ISP's nntp
> server - which then causes me to exceed my ISP's max connections. Once
> that happens, I have to wait about an hour for the connection at the
> nntp server end to time out and let me reconnect.
>
> If I could configure TB to not start a new instance of itself, that
> problem would go away.

I'm not sure if it'll work, but try the No New Window on Double Click
extension.

<URL:http://www.chuonthis.com/extensions/nnwodc.php>