Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Password problems with Firefox

Password problems with Firefox

Arthur Beales

Some sites that require a password to get past the front (login) page do
not allow me to login with Firefox 1.0.2. I enter the correct password
& press "enter" as per usual but I get thrown back to the login page;
sometimes with a message about incorrect password but often with no
indication as to why I am back there. These sites load OK in IE!
Is there a known problem with Firefox and passwords?
I am using XP Home with SP2 and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (with
Firefox "permitted") & VET AV with MS AntiSpyware.
Most sites are OK - including banking sites (which should be the hardest
to get into) but some just do not like Firefox.
Any ideas where to look?

Doug G

Arthur Beales wrote:
> Some sites that require a password to get past the front (login) page do
> not allow me to login with Firefox 1.0.2. I enter the correct password
> & press "enter" as per usual but I get thrown back to the login page;
> sometimes with a message about incorrect password but often with no
> indication as to why I am back there. These sites load OK in IE!
> Is there a known problem with Firefox and passwords?
> I am using XP Home with SP2 and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (with
> Firefox "permitted") & VET AV with MS AntiSpyware.
> Most sites are OK - including banking sites (which should be the hardest
> to get into) but some just do not like Firefox.
> Any ideas where to look?

Retry the sites after deleting their cookies.

Arthur Beales

Sorry but I have been there; anyway both of these sites insist on
setting cookies to get in!

Doug G wrote:
> Arthur Beales wrote:
>
>> Some sites that require a password to get past the front (login) page do
>> not allow me to login with Firefox 1.0.2. I enter the correct password
>> & press "enter" as per usual but I get thrown back to the login page;
>> sometimes with a message about incorrect password but often with no
>> indication as to why I am back there. These sites load OK in IE!
>> Is there a known problem with Firefox and passwords?
>> I am using XP Home with SP2 and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (with
>> Firefox "permitted") & VET AV with MS AntiSpyware.
>> Most sites are OK - including banking sites (which should be the hardest
>> to get into) but some just do not like Firefox.
>> Any ideas where to look?

> Retry the sites after deleting their cookies.

David Harrison

On 4/22/2005 8:46 AM, Arthur Beales said:

> Doug G wrote:
>
>> Arthur Beales wrote:
>>
>>> Some sites that require a password to get past the front (login) page do
>>> not allow me to login with Firefox 1.0.2. I enter the correct password
>>> & press "enter" as per usual but I get thrown back to the login page;
>>> sometimes with a message about incorrect password but often with no
>>> indication as to why I am back there. These sites load OK in IE!
>>> Is there a known problem with Firefox and passwords?
>>> I am using XP Home with SP2 and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (with
>>> Firefox "permitted") & VET AV with MS AntiSpyware.
>>> Most sites are OK - including banking sites (which should be the hardest
>>> to get into) but some just do not like Firefox.
>>> Any ideas where to look?

>> Retry the sites after deleting their cookies.

> Sorry but I have been there; anyway both of these sites insist on
> setting cookies to get in!

Deleting the cookies won't stop you logging back in -- new cookies will
be baked on the spot. *Blocking* cookies from those sites is what will
cause you problems.

cheers,

David H

The One

"Arthur Beales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6XW9e.19254$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some sites that require a password to get past the front (login) page do
> not allow me to login with Firefox 1.0.2. I enter the correct password
> & press "enter" as per usual but I get thrown back to the login page;
> sometimes with a message about incorrect password but often with no
> indication as to why I am back there. These sites load OK in IE!
> Is there a known problem with Firefox and passwords?
> I am using XP Home with SP2 and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (with
> Firefox "permitted") & VET AV with MS AntiSpyware.
> Most sites are OK - including banking sites (which should be the hardest
> to get into) but some just do not like Firefox.
> Any ideas where to look?

Oh look yet another problem!

Arthur Beales

David Harrison wrote:
> On 4/22/2005 8:46 AM, Arthur Beales said:
>
>> Doug G wrote:

>>> Retry the sites after deleting their cookies.

> > Sorry but I have been there; anyway both of these sites insist on
> > setting cookies to get in!

> Deleting the cookies won't stop you logging back in -- new cookies will
> be baked on the spot. *Blocking* cookies from those sites is what will
> cause you problems.
>
> cheers,
>
> David H

Even with all cookies enabled makes no difference.

David Harrison

On 4/23/2005 9:26 AM, Arthur Beales said:
> David Harrison wrote:

>> > Sorry but I have been there; anyway both of these sites insist on
>> > setting cookies to get in!

>> Deleting the cookies won't stop you logging back in -- new cookies
>> will be baked on the spot. *Blocking* cookies from those sites is what
>> will cause you problems.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> David H

> Even with all cookies enabled makes no difference.

Wasn't what I meant! Yes, for sure, have cookies enabled. But once
you've done that, use the cookie manager to *delete specific cookies for
the sites in question, then look again*.

Sorry for any confusion.

David H

--

"When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
reply address

Arthur Beales

David Harrison wrote:
> On 4/23/2005 9:26 AM, Arthur Beales said:
>
>> David Harrison wrote:

>>> Deleting the cookies won't stop you logging back in -- new cookies
>>> will be baked on the spot. *Blocking* cookies from those sites is
>>> what will cause you problems.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>>
>>> David H

>> Even with all cookies enabled makes no difference.

> Wasn't what I meant! Yes, for sure, have cookies enabled. But once
> you've done that, use the cookie manager to *delete specific cookies for
> the sites in question, then look again*.
>
> Sorry for any confusion.
>
> David H

I do not seem to get far enough into the site to collect cookies: the
only ONE I have got listed is from Mozillazine!
BTW I have upgraded to FF1.0.3 but still no difference; looks as though
I will just have to wear it .. damn!
AB

David Harrison

On 4/23/2005 2:43 PM, Arthur Beales said:

<snip -- conversation longer than War and Peace!>

> I do not seem to get far enough into the site to collect cookies: the
> only ONE I have got listed is from Mozillazine!
> BTW I have upgraded to FF1.0.3 but still no difference; looks as though
> I will just have to wear it .. damn!
> AB

Hum. Do these sites log you into the same window, or into a popup? IIRC
when I bet on the Boat Race, the bookie's site does all its business in
a large popup! If you have popup blocking set on sites like that, you
might have authenticated properly, but the logged-in window is quashed.
Try clearing these sites in the popup manager and see if it helps?

cheers,

David H

Arthur Beales

David Harrison wrote:
> On 4/23/2005 2:43 PM, Arthur Beales said:
>
> Hum. Do these sites log you into the same window, or into a popup? IIRC
> when I bet on the Boat Race, the bookie's site does all its business in
> a large popup! If you have popup blocking set on sites like that, you
> might have authenticated properly, but the logged-in window is quashed.
> Try clearing these sites in the popup manager and see if it helps?

The main site that refuses entry (www.assa.org.au) opens a new window
for "members"; can't see any popups. I have allowed it to set popups but
no change.
grrr!
Arthur