Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Password problems with Firefox

Password problems with Firefox

Moz Champion

The One wrote:
> "Arthur Beales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:6XW9e.19254$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Some sites that require a password to get past the front (login) page do
>>not allow me to login with Firefox 1.0.2. I enter the correct password
>>& press "enter" as per usual but I get thrown back to the login page;
>>sometimes with a message about incorrect password but often with no
>>indication as to why I am back there. These sites load OK in IE!
>>Is there a known problem with Firefox and passwords?
>>I am using XP Home with SP2 and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (with
>>Firefox "permitted") & VET AV with MS AntiSpyware.
>>Most sites are OK - including banking sites (which should be the hardest
>>to get into) but some just do not like Firefox.
>>Any ideas where to look?

> Oh look yet another problem!

One that, if you cared to read, was resolved.

Go to your MS newsgroups and see the hundreds of problems posted in a
day that are NEVER resolved!

Arthur Beales

Moz Champion wrote:
> The One wrote:
>
>> "Arthur Beales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:6XW9e.19254$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Some sites that require a password to get past the front (login) page do
>>> not allow me to login with Firefox 1.0.2. I enter the correct password
>>> & press "enter" as per usual but I get thrown back to the login page;
>>> sometimes with a message about incorrect password but often with no
>>> indication as to why I am back there. These sites load OK in IE!
>>> Is there a known problem with Firefox and passwords?
>>> I am using XP Home with SP2 and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro (with
>>> Firefox "permitted") & VET AV with MS AntiSpyware.
>>> Most sites are OK - including banking sites (which should be the hardest
>>> to get into) but some just do not like Firefox.
>>> Any ideas where to look?

>> Oh look yet another problem!
>>

> One that, if you cared to read, was resolved.
>
> Go to your MS newsgroups and see the hundreds of problems posted in a
> day that are NEVER resolved!

Actually .. not quite resolved! .. though I suspect it may not
necessarily be a Firefox problem. I have a Toshiba Notebook with an
identical setup (except that the Notebook has XP Pro instead of Home)
and it will access all the sites quite happily. I now have FF 1.0.3 on
both & the status is still the same. The recalcitrant sites work on the
Notebook but not on the Desktop. So what I guess I am asking is can
someone suggest where to look for the problem (AND solution) on the
Desktop - which is the beast I normally prefer to use for this type of job?

Moz Champion

Arthur Beales wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> The One wrote:
>>
>>> "Arthur Beales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:6XW9e.19254$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Oh look yet another problem!
>>>

>> One that, if you cared to read, was resolved.
>>
>> Go to your MS newsgroups and see the hundreds of problems posted in a
>> day that are NEVER resolved!

> Actually .. not quite resolved! .. though I suspect it may not
> necessarily be a Firefox problem. I have a Toshiba Notebook with an
> identical setup (except that the Notebook has XP Pro instead of Home)
> and it will access all the sites quite happily. I now have FF 1.0.3 on
> both & the status is still the same. The recalcitrant sites work on the
> Notebook but not on the Desktop. So what I guess I am asking is can
> someone suggest where to look for the problem (AND solution) on the
> Desktop - which is the beast I normally prefer to use for this type of job?

You have a hosts file on the desktop?

Arthur Beales

Moz Champion wrote:
> Arthur Beales wrote:
>
>> Actually .. not quite resolved! .. though I suspect it may not
>> necessarily be a Firefox problem. I have a Toshiba Notebook with an
>> identical setup (except that the Notebook has XP Pro instead of Home)
>> and it will access all the sites quite happily. I now have FF 1.0.3 on
>> both & the status is still the same. The recalcitrant sites work on
>> the Notebook but not on the Desktop. So what I guess I am asking is
>> can someone suggest where to look for the problem (AND solution) on
>> the Desktop - which is the beast I normally prefer to use for this
>> type of job?

> You have a hosts file on the desktop?

I don't think so .. what is a hosts file??

Moz Champion

Arthur Beales wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Arthur Beales wrote:
>>
>>> Actually .. not quite resolved! .. though I suspect it may not
>>> necessarily be a Firefox problem. I have a Toshiba Notebook with an
>>> identical setup (except that the Notebook has XP Pro instead of Home)
>>> and it will access all the sites quite happily. I now have FF 1.0.3
>>> on both & the status is still the same. The recalcitrant sites work
>>> on the Notebook but not on the Desktop. So what I guess I am asking
>>> is can someone suggest where to look for the problem (AND solution)
>>> on the Desktop - which is the beast I normally prefer to use for this
>>> type of job?

>> You have a hosts file on the desktop?

> I don't think so .. what is a hosts file??

A hosts file is a file which lists or delimits what domains can be contacted

You will have to ask others here on how to ascertain if you have one,
and if so, how to view it

Arthur Beales

Moz Champion wrote:
> Arthur Beales wrote:
>
>> Moz Champion wrote:

>>> You have a hosts file on the desktop?

>> I don't think so .. what is a hosts file??

> A hosts file is a file which lists or delimits what domains can be
> contacted
>
> You will have to ask others here on how to ascertain if you have one,
> and if so, how to view it

I have not knowingly set up anything of the sort & am not part of any
network; thus I doubt that I have anything in the way of a hosts file!
Anyway I used to be able to access these sites but, without knowingly
changing anything, I now find that I cannot. So I suspect something in
Windows has gone pear-shaped .. the question is what & where?

Big Will

Arthur Beales wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Arthur Beales wrote:

>>> I don't think so .. what is a hosts file??

>> A hosts file is a file which lists or delimits what domains can be
>> contacted
>>
>> You will have to ask others here on how to ascertain if you have one,
>> and if so, how to view it

> I have not knowingly set up anything of the sort & am not part of any
> network; thus I doubt that I have anything in the way of a hosts file!
> Anyway I used to be able to access these sites but, without knowingly
> changing anything, I now find that I cannot. So I suspect something in
> Windows has gone pear-shaped .. the question is what & where?

if you're interested in seeing what's in your hosts file, type in a run
dialogue box: notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and it
should pull it right up. If you see anything other then the 127.0.0.1
localhost line (excluding the descriptiong of a hosts file) that
you know you didn't put their yourself (and didn't have Spybod s&d put
it there for you) then delete it.

Regards,

Will

Arthur Beales

Big Will wrote:

>>> A hosts file is a file which lists or delimits what domains can be
>>> contacted
>>>
>>> You will have to ask others here on how to ascertain if you have one,
>>> and if so, how to view it

> if you're interested in seeing what's in your hosts file, type in a run
> dialogue box: notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and it
> should pull it right up. If you see anything other then the 127.0.0.1
> localhost line (excluding the descriptiong of a hosts file) that you
> know you didn't put their yourself (and didn't have Spybod s&d put it
> there for you) then delete it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Will

Thanks for that Will; I will tuck it away into the memory cells for
future use. However I have finally resolved the issue of sites not
allowing logins after a lot of head-scratching .. and swearing!
.. and without using IE!
The problem was, indeed, with cookies .. though not as simple as had
been hoped/thought.
Initially I had cookies disallowed, but on advice from the local
webmaster, I enabled them ... BUT, this did not work retrospectively.
FireFox had previously recorded that cookies were disallowed for all
sites .. and it remembered this for all sites I had visited until I
changed it to allow them. So, with the (local)ASSA site being one of
these, it continued to disallow them at ASSA. I eventually hunted
through the Tools/Options/Privacy/Cookies/Exceptions setup and changed
"Block" to "Allow" for the ASSA site .. and Bingo - all is OK!
So it was not specifically a FireFox issue.
Hope this may be of some use to anyone else who has similar strife.
Thanks to all who have replied
Arthur

J.E.

On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:45:43 GMT, Arthur Beales
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The problem was, indeed, with cookies .. though not as simple as had
>been hoped/thought.
>Initially I had cookies disallowed, but on advice from the local
>webmaster, I enabled them ... BUT, this did not work retrospectively.
>FireFox had previously recorded that cookies were disallowed for all
>sites .. and it remembered this for all sites I had visited until I
>changed it to allow them. So, with the (local)ASSA site being one of
>these, it continued to disallow them at ASSA. I eventually hunted
>through the Tools/Options/Privacy/Cookies/Exceptions setup and changed
>"Block" to "Allow" for the ASSA site .. and Bingo - all is OK!
>So it was not specifically a FireFox issue.
>Hope this may be of some use to anyone else who has similar strife.
>Thanks to all who have replied
>Arthur

I used to get Firefox 1.0.2 remembering passwords with the help of
little extension "Always Remember Password"

Now after updating to Firefox 1.0.3 this password function does not
work with YahooMail and Hotmail although it does with most of other
URLs.

Does anybody know how to get it working also with Yahoo and Hotmail?

Big Will

J.E. wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2005 12:45:43 GMT, Arthur Beales
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>The problem was, indeed, with cookies .. though not as simple as had
>>been hoped/thought.
>>Initially I had cookies disallowed, but on advice from the local
>>webmaster, I enabled them ... BUT, this did not work retrospectively.
>>FireFox had previously recorded that cookies were disallowed for all
>>sites .. and it remembered this for all sites I had visited until I
>>changed it to allow them. So, with the (local)ASSA site being one of
>>these, it continued to disallow them at ASSA. I eventually hunted
>>through the Tools/Options/Privacy/Cookies/Exceptions setup and changed
>>"Block" to "Allow" for the ASSA site .. and Bingo - all is OK!
>>So it was not specifically a FireFox issue.
>>Hope this may be of some use to anyone else who has similar strife.
>>Thanks to all who have replied
>>Arthur

> I used to get Firefox 1.0.2 remembering passwords with the help of
> little extension "Always Remember Password"
>
> Now after updating to Firefox 1.0.3 this password function does not
> work with YahooMail and Hotmail although it does with most of other
> URLs.
>
> Does anybody know how to get it working also with Yahoo and Hotmail?

extension? I just use the FF password manager. I'd check the settings
in your PW manager (or extension, if that's what you ment) to see if you
have it set to nevewr allow passwords on hotmal and yahoo.

Regards,

Will