Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Symantec Express Cleanup or alternative

Symantec Express Cleanup or alternative

Ron P

Currently, my PC uses Norton Systemworks express clean up, a utility in
systemworks pro 2005, to clean internet cache, files and cookies. The thing
I like about this is that you can mark cookies as protected so they are not
deleted (i.e. Custom portals such as my yahoo). Is there something that I
can use to

1. Change the temporary file location and cookie storage location so it
mirrors IE
2. Change how the Norton utility works so it works with firefox
3. A different utility to do the same function while allowing you to mark
certain items protected so they don't get deleted.

Thanks!

Ed Mullen

Ron P wrote:

> Currently, my PC uses Norton Systemworks express clean up, a utility in
> systemworks pro 2005, to clean internet cache, files and cookies. The thing
> I like about this is that you can mark cookies as protected so they are not
> deleted (i.e. Custom portals such as my yahoo). Is there something that I
> can use to
>
> 1. Change the temporary file location and cookie storage location so it
> mirrors IE

Not really. Cookies are stored in different forms by IE and FF. In IE
cookies are individual text files on disk, usually at C:\Documents and
Settings\[username]\Cookies. FF stores all cookies in one text file,
cookies.txt, in your FF profile.

> 2. Change how the Norton utility works so it works with firefox

Not that I know of.

> 3. A different utility to do the same function while allowing you to mark
> certain items protected so they don't get deleted.
>
> Thanks!

Well, since NSW isn't cleaning your Firefox cookies there's no need to
protect them. However, you should back up your entire profile regularly
so you can restore important things like cookies, bookmarks, passwords,
forms, etc. in the event of a problem.
http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_profile.html

What you should look at is taking advantage of Firefox's cookie
management in Tools - Options - Privacy - Cookies. Set it to ask you
for permission every time and your system won't pick up a bunch of
cookies you need to delete.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Splibbilla

Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What you should look at is taking advantage of Firefox's cookie
> management in Tools - Options - Privacy - Cookies. Set it to ask you
> for permission every time and your system won't pick up a bunch of
> cookies you need to delete.

prefbar xpi has various CLear" buttons in standard install.

also ff has cookie lists edits in optoins, privacy tab

--
All Gecko/1.7.7: 2005041417
1 WinXP + Ff 1.0.3 + GoogleBar(XPI-rimental), Sage, PrefBar, Tabbrowser Preferences, CopyURL, IEView,