Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > deploy asp.net application with sql server express database

Reply
Thread Tools

deploy asp.net application with sql server express database

 
 
Loane Sharp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2005
Hi there

I had no luck in getting the following question answered in the SQL Server
newsgroups. Please point me in the right direction.

Background: I am using the "System.Data.SqlClient" namespace and a
SqlConnection() object to connect to a local SQL Server 2005 Express
database from within VB code contained in <SCRIPT /> tags in an ASP.NET
page. I use Windows authentication (ie. "Integrated Security=SSPI;") to
connect to the database, and Windows then uses the (local)\ASPNET account to
make a connection.

Problem: Every week there is a new database to attach. Making use of the
XCopy functionality with AutoClose enabled, I simply delete the old .mdf
file, copy the new .mdf file to that directory, and then let the
"AttachDBFilename=..." part of the connection string attach the database.
The problem is, the database file I want to attach is created on a different
SQL Server, and as such does not contain login and permissions for the local
machine's ASPNET user account. At present I am manually adding the login
(exec sp_grantlogin '(local)\ASPNET') and user (exec sp_grantdbaccess
'(local)\ASPNET') each time I attach a new database. Surely there must be an
automatic way?! I can but I'd prefer not to give the ASPNET account login
and database access from the SQL Server that I use to create the databases,
since that would mean keeping track of the various user, machine and network
names, which would be a nightmare.

Please help!

Best regards
Loane




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jéjé
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2005
if your aspnet account is a "system administrator" then this account should
access all databases.


"Loane Sharp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there
>
> I had no luck in getting the following question answered in the SQL Server
> newsgroups. Please point me in the right direction.
>
> Background: I am using the "System.Data.SqlClient" namespace and a
> SqlConnection() object to connect to a local SQL Server 2005 Express
> database from within VB code contained in <SCRIPT /> tags in an ASP.NET
> page. I use Windows authentication (ie. "Integrated Security=SSPI;") to
> connect to the database, and Windows then uses the (local)\ASPNET account
> to
> make a connection.
>
> Problem: Every week there is a new database to attach. Making use of the
> XCopy functionality with AutoClose enabled, I simply delete the old .mdf
> file, copy the new .mdf file to that directory, and then let the
> "AttachDBFilename=..." part of the connection string attach the database.
> The problem is, the database file I want to attach is created on a
> different
> SQL Server, and as such does not contain login and permissions for the
> local
> machine's ASPNET user account. At present I am manually adding the login
> (exec sp_grantlogin '(local)\ASPNET') and user (exec sp_grantdbaccess
> '(local)\ASPNET') each time I attach a new database. Surely there must be
> an
> automatic way?! I can but I'd prefer not to give the ASPNET account login
> and database access from the SQL Server that I use to create the
> databases,
> since that would mean keeping track of the various user, machine and
> network
> names, which would be a nightmare.
>
> Please help!
>
> Best regards
> Loane
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Loane Sharp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2005
isn't that a bit dangerous?


> if your aspnet account is a "system administrator" then this account
> should access all databases.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jéjé
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-24-2005
yeap...
the only other solution is to restore the access to the user like you do it


"Loane Sharp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> isn't that a bit dangerous?
>
>
>> if your aspnet account is a "system administrator" then this account
>> should access all databases.

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Botha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-25-2005
How about impersonation? If you are not familiar with it, the declaration
comes in the web.config file inside the <system.web> section and to
impersonate the connecting user, use
<identity impersonate="true"/>
or to impersonate a specific user, use
<identity impersonate="true" userName="domain\UserName"
password="whatever"/>


"Loane Sharp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there
>
> I had no luck in getting the following question answered in the SQL Server
> newsgroups. Please point me in the right direction.
>
> Background: I am using the "System.Data.SqlClient" namespace and a
> SqlConnection() object to connect to a local SQL Server 2005 Express
> database from within VB code contained in <SCRIPT /> tags in an ASP.NET
> page. I use Windows authentication (ie. "Integrated Security=SSPI;") to
> connect to the database, and Windows then uses the (local)\ASPNET account
> to
> make a connection.
>
> Problem: Every week there is a new database to attach. Making use of the
> XCopy functionality with AutoClose enabled, I simply delete the old .mdf
> file, copy the new .mdf file to that directory, and then let the
> "AttachDBFilename=..." part of the connection string attach the database.
> The problem is, the database file I want to attach is created on a
> different
> SQL Server, and as such does not contain login and permissions for the
> local
> machine's ASPNET user account. At present I am manually adding the login
> (exec sp_grantlogin '(local)\ASPNET') and user (exec sp_grantdbaccess
> '(local)\ASPNET') each time I attach a new database. Surely there must be
> an
> automatic way?! I can but I'd prefer not to give the ASPNET account login
> and database access from the SQL Server that I use to create the
> databases,
> since that would mean keeping track of the various user, machine and
> network
> names, which would be a nightmare.
>
> Please help!
>
> Best regards
> Loane
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Loane Sharp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-25-2005
thanks very much Chris, Jeje, all worked perfectly. Best regards Loane


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Add new SQL Database to App_Data need SQL Server Express installed? Michael ASP .Net 2 07-19-2009 03:09 PM
Copy SQL SERVER 2008 database to sql Express 2008 AAaron123 ASP .Net 6 10-28-2008 03:39 PM
What do I need to run a asp.net 2.0 app with sql server express database on a web server? Nick ASP .Net 5 02-16-2007 05:29 PM
How to reference a membership database that is not in App_Data SQL Server Express database? Keith ASP .Net 1 07-03-2006 07:42 AM
attaching SQL Server 2005 Express database in ASP.NET web application Loane Sharp ASP .Net 2 10-17-2005 10:44 PM



Advertisments