Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Any Suggestions?

Any Suggestions?

Lee

I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
__numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.

Any tips or suggestions?

Lee

Doug G

Lee wrote:
> I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
> rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
> __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
> deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
> with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
> the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
>
> Any tips or suggestions?
>
> Lee

Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

Moz Champion

Doug G wrote:
> Lee wrote:
>
>> I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
>> rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
>> __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
>> deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
>> with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
>> the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
>>
>> Any tips or suggestions?
>>
>> Lee

> Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

unsubscribe to the newsgroups in question

Lee

Doug G wrote:
> Lee wrote:
>
>> I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
>> rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
>> __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
>> deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
>> with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
>> the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
>>
>> Any tips or suggestions?
>>
>> Lee

> Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

I checked and none of them are marked read only! Main reason for
worrying about it is that the scan for files keeps getting bigger and
bigger. I am talking about the numerics at the bottom of Thunderbird
when it is scanning ng's for new messages. I even have it set to
compact the files due to this. I just don't understand why w98se works
OK and XP home does not. Thanks

Lee

Lee

Moz Champion wrote:
> Doug G wrote:
>
>> Lee wrote:
>>
>>> I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot
>>> get rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking
>>> newsgroup
>>> __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
>>> deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
>>> with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I
>>> have the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
>>>
>>> Any tips or suggestions?
>>>
>>> Lee

>> Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

> unsubscribe to the newsgroups in question

Hi Moz

I have tried but they just keep coming back! I have deleted from
Thunderbird, I have deleted with explorer, I have even gone into
Thunderbird prooperties and deleted them there! No other problems but
the count at the bottom of the page just keeps building as if it does
not clear those ng's that have been read.

Thanks

Lee

Doug G

Lee wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>> Doug G wrote:

>>> Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

>> unsubscribe to the newsgroups in question

> Hi Moz
>
> I have tried but they just keep coming back! I have deleted from
> Thunderbird, I have deleted with explorer, I have even gone into
> Thunderbird prooperties and deleted them there! No other problems but
> the count at the bottom of the page just keeps building as if it does
> not clear those ng's that have been read.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee

While Thunderbird is closed, try deleting the line that contains the
newsgroup name and the numbers after it in the news.server.name.rc file
in your profile's News folder. Open the *.rc file in a text editor like
Notepad.

The contents of a *.rc file looks something like this:

alt.netscape: 1-54293,54295,54299,54300,54305
netscape.public.general: 1-74801
alt.fan.mozilla: 1-18971
news.newusers.questions: 1-598673
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage: 1-300239

Moz Champion

Lee wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Doug G wrote:

>>> Are any of the files in your profile's News folder marked read-only?

>> unsubscribe to the newsgroups in question

> Hi Moz
>
> I have tried but they just keep coming back! I have deleted from
> Thunderbird, I have deleted with explorer, I have even gone into
> Thunderbird prooperties and deleted them there! No other problems but
> the count at the bottom of the page just keeps building as if it does
> not clear those ng's that have been read.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lee

No, dont go into the properities, unsubscribe!

Bring up the server in question, look at the groups and uncheck them

Lee

Moz Champion wrote:

> No, dont go into the properities, unsubscribe!
>
> Bring up the server in question, look at the groups and uncheck them

Hi Moz

I tried this and it did not work, fact is I tried it several time with
no luck!

Thanks

Lee

Lee wrote:
> I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
> rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
> __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
> deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
> with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
> the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
>
> Any tips or suggestions?

You could try to remove the News acct and then recreate it.

The One

"Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Rwy9e.111748$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I am using Thunderbird 1.02 on WXP Home. For some reason I cannot get
> rid of the newsgroup count. It reads at the bottom "checking newsgroup
> __numbers_of 1589 on newsgroup Bellsouth for New Messages. I have
> deleted the msf files. I have tried to delete a couple of newsgroups
> with zero success. They just keep coming back. Funny thing is I have
> the same settings on my w98SE and it works perfectly.
>
> Any tips or suggestions?
>
> Lee

Oh dear you use TB for newsgroups....... oh dear!