Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > (site) could not be found..pls check the name and try again

Reply
Thread Tools

(site) could not be found..pls check the name and try again

 
 
Lisa Hetherington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2005
I understand some sites are not available to FF.
What rae the parameters/criteria for FF to display a website??
I was getting so much spyeware and adware, that's why I switched to FF.
I'm afraid if I open IE to view this iste, then all h*** will break lose
again.

....Lisa
using FF 1.03, win xp home SP2


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Moz Champion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2005
Lisa Hetherington wrote:
> I understand some sites are not available to FF.
> What rae the parameters/criteria for FF to display a website??
> I was getting so much spyeware and adware, that's why I switched to FF.
> I'm afraid if I open IE to view this iste, then all h*** will break lose
> again.
>
> ...Lisa
> using FF 1.03, win xp home SP2
>
>


The only sites not available to Firefox are those sites exclusively
designed for IE.

The parameters for a page to be available to Firefox are web standards,
which makes the page available to any browser as well.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2005
On 2005-04-20, Lisa Hetherington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I understand some sites are not available to FF.


No, all sites available to IE are also available to FF, but if the site
does not use W3C standards compliant code, it may not render properly. In
addition, some sites, notably the Windows Update site, use proprietary
IE-only features like Active-X (which, BTW, can be a significant security
concern).

> What rae the parameters/criteria for FF to display a website??


Merely compliance with the accepted W3C consortium standards.

> I was getting so much spyeware and adware, that's why I switched to FF.
> I'm afraid if I open IE to view this iste, then all h*** will break lose
> again.


Which site is that? If you are getting an error message like that in your
Subject line ("(site) could not be found") that is not a browser error,
but a name resolution error. It means that whatever site you are using for
your domain name server (DNS) cannot resolve the address you want. Make
sure your network DNS settings are correct, or try a different DNS server.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lisa Hetherington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2005
the site is www.scrapnsisters.com

I don't know how to check my network DNS settings or try a different DNS
server.
Is this site OK for you??

....Lisa

"John Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org...
> On 2005-04-20, Lisa Hetherington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I understand some sites are not available to FF.

>
> No, all sites available to IE are also available to FF, but if the site
> does not use W3C standards compliant code, it may not render properly. In
> addition, some sites, notably the Windows Update site, use proprietary
> IE-only features like Active-X (which, BTW, can be a significant security
> concern).
>
>> What rae the parameters/criteria for FF to display a website??

>
> Merely compliance with the accepted W3C consortium standards.
>
>> I was getting so much spyeware and adware, that's why I switched to FF.
>> I'm afraid if I open IE to view this iste, then all h*** will break lose
>> again.

>
> Which site is that? If you are getting an error message like that in your
> Subject line ("(site) could not be found") that is not a browser error,
> but a name resolution error. It means that whatever site you are using for
> your domain name server (DNS) cannot resolve the address you want. Make
> sure your network DNS settings are correct, or try a different DNS server.
>
> --
>
> John ((E-Mail Removed))



 
Reply With Quote
 
Moz Champion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2005
Lisa Hetherington wrote:
> the site is www.scrapnsisters.com
>
> I don't know how to check my network DNS settings or try a different DNS
> server.
> Is this site OK for you??
>
> ...Lisa
>
> "John Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org...
>
>>On 2005-04-20, Lisa Hetherington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I understand some sites are not available to FF.

>>
>>No, all sites available to IE are also available to FF, but if the site
>>does not use W3C standards compliant code, it may not render properly. In
>>addition, some sites, notably the Windows Update site, use proprietary
>>IE-only features like Active-X (which, BTW, can be a significant security
>>concern).
>>
>>
>>>What rae the parameters/criteria for FF to display a website??

>>
>>Merely compliance with the accepted W3C consortium standards.
>>
>>
>>>I was getting so much spyeware and adware, that's why I switched to FF.
>>>I'm afraid if I open IE to view this iste, then all h*** will break lose
>>>again.

>>
>>Which site is that? If you are getting an error message like that in your
>>Subject line ("(site) could not be found") that is not a browser error,
>>but a name resolution error. It means that whatever site you are using for
>>your domain name server (DNS) cannot resolve the address you want. Make
>>sure your network DNS settings are correct, or try a different DNS server.
>>
>>--
>>
>>John ((E-Mail Removed))

>
>
>


Displays here in Firefox

tho the 'New Items' and "Layout of the Month" images are not shown
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lisa Hetherington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2005
It's working now for me too!! I swear it wasn't earlier!! Why would it be
OK sometimes and other times not??

....Lisa
"Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%yA9e.96245$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lisa Hetherington wrote:
>> the site is www.scrapnsisters.com
>>
>> I don't know how to check my network DNS settings or try a different DNS
>> server.
>> Is this site OK for you??
>>
>> ...Lisa
>>
>> "John Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org...
>>
>>>On 2005-04-20, Lisa Hetherington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>I understand some sites are not available to FF.
>>>
>>>No, all sites available to IE are also available to FF, but if the site
>>>does not use W3C standards compliant code, it may not render properly. In
>>>addition, some sites, notably the Windows Update site, use proprietary
>>>IE-only features like Active-X (which, BTW, can be a significant security
>>>concern).
>>>
>>>
>>>>What rae the parameters/criteria for FF to display a website??
>>>
>>>Merely compliance with the accepted W3C consortium standards.
>>>
>>>
>>>>I was getting so much spyeware and adware, that's why I switched to FF.
>>>>I'm afraid if I open IE to view this iste, then all h*** will break lose
>>>>again.
>>>
>>>Which site is that? If you are getting an error message like that in your
>>>Subject line ("(site) could not be found") that is not a browser error,
>>>but a name resolution error. It means that whatever site you are using
>>>for
>>>your domain name server (DNS) cannot resolve the address you want. Make
>>>sure your network DNS settings are correct, or try a different DNS
>>>server.
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>John ((E-Mail Removed))

>>
>>
>>

>
> Displays here in Firefox
>
> tho the 'New Items' and "Layout of the Month" images are not shown



 
Reply With Quote
 
Moz Champion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2005
Lisa Hetherington wrote:
> It's working now for me too!! I swear it wasn't earlier!! Why would it be
> OK sometimes and other times not??
>
> ...Lisa
> "Moz Champion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%yA9e.96245$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Lisa Hetherington wrote:
>>
>>>the site is www.scrapnsisters.com
>>>
>>>I don't know how to check my network DNS settings or try a different DNS
>>>server.
>>>Is this site OK for you??
>>>
>>>...Lisa
>>>
>>>"John Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org.. .
>>>
>>>
>>>>On 2005-04-20, Lisa Hetherington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I understand some sites are not available to FF.
>>>>
>>>>No, all sites available to IE are also available to FF, but if the site
>>>>does not use W3C standards compliant code, it may not render properly. In
>>>>addition, some sites, notably the Windows Update site, use proprietary
>>>>IE-only features like Active-X (which, BTW, can be a significant security
>>>>concern).
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>What rae the parameters/criteria for FF to display a website??
>>>>
>>>>Merely compliance with the accepted W3C consortium standards.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I was getting so much spyeware and adware, that's why I switched to FF.
>>>>>I'm afraid if I open IE to view this iste, then all h*** will break lose
>>>>>again.
>>>>
>>>>Which site is that? If you are getting an error message like that in your
>>>>Subject line ("(site) could not be found") that is not a browser error,
>>>>but a name resolution error. It means that whatever site you are using
>>>>for
>>>>your domain name server (DNS) cannot resolve the address you want. Make
>>>>sure your network DNS settings are correct, or try a different DNS
>>>>server.
>>>>
>>>>--
>>>>
>>>>John ((E-Mail Removed))
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>Displays here in Firefox
>>
>>tho the 'New Items' and "Layout of the Month" images are not shown

>
>
>


Your local connection? Your local DNS server? Hard to say. If it
happens again, then please advise.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2005
On 2005-04-20, Lisa Hetherington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> the site is www.scrapnsisters.com
>
> I don't know how to check my network DNS settings or try a different DNS
> server.
> Is this site OK for you??


Yes, it worked fine for me. See if "http://65.61.237.112/" will work for
you; that's the actual IP address of the site. If you can get through that
way, then you can be quite certain that the problem is with DNS.

To check how DNS is configured on your computer, go to Control
Panel...Network" and on the "Configuration" page, click TCP/IP, and then
properties. One of the tabs should be "DNS Configuration" -- if it is
disabled you ar probably getting your DNS setting from your service
provider via DHCP. In that case, under the "IP Address" tab it should have
"obtain an IP address automatically" selected. If this all checks out, and
it still doesn't work, then you will likely need to contact your service
provider for help in setting up DNS properly.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2005
On 2005-04-20, Lisa Hetherington <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's working now for me too!! I swear it wasn't earlier!! Why would it be
> OK sometimes and other times not??


You may have just hit them at a time when their DNS was being updated.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
server not found, try again over and over again- help Bill Penney Firefox 1 07-31-2011 08:10 AM
Re: Try... except....Try again? MRAB Python 4 07-18-2009 02:53 PM
REXML::Document could not parse UTF-8 "<name>\302</name>" Jesse P. Ruby 0 01-04-2008 05:37 PM
When to TRY and not to TRY =?Utf-8?B?QUo=?= ASP .Net 2 10-17-2007 03:24 AM
Try, Try, Try, again... Rick12N4@netscape.net Computer Support 3 01-29-2005 04:02 PM



Advertisments