Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > logging into a website on an external server

logging into a website on an external server

MotorcycleIke

I tried using WebRequest, but I am unable to simply
redirect to an external aspx site and supply the userid and password and
press their login button.

I got the webrequest to populate a webresponse and copy the website onto
our server. That doesn't do any good.
What I need to do is get the viewstate, add the login information and
postback to the external site. The password needs to be encrypted or
hidden.

I haven't had any luck.

I spent an hour at Barnes & Noble looking for a book that could help.
No luck.

This sounds so easy to do, but I am totally clueless.

Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks,

Bruce Barker

you are confusing two concepts.

redirects tell the client browser to go to a new url. if you are trying to
redirect to another site and supply login, that site need to supply a url
for this (usually thru a query string). has this has become a popular
security hack, this feature should disappear (like popups), as you can get
security plugin to prevent it now.

web client is used by the server to access content from another site. if you
are trying to do this, its called html screen scraping, google and you will
finds lots of info.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"MotorcycleIke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried using WebRequest, but I am unable to simply
> redirect to an external aspx site and supply the userid and password and
> press their login button.
>
> I got the webrequest to populate a webresponse and copy the website onto
> our server. That doesn't do any good.
> What I need to do is get the viewstate, add the login information and
> postback to the external site. The password needs to be encrypted or
> hidden.
>
> I haven't had any luck.
>
> I spent an hour at Barnes & Noble looking for a book that could help. No
> luck.
>
> This sounds so easy to do, but I am totally clueless.
>
> Anyone have suggestions?
> Thanks,

MotorcycleIke

Thanks Bruce.