Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Session state IDs mixed between users

Session state IDs mixed between users

Mr Newbie

One long shot.

One possibility is that there is an issue with caching, I was wondering if
increasing the servers memory has any effect. I Know this is not good
science, but sometimes its worth a try.

Mr N.

"Lauri Kotilainen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qzgYe.27171$D%(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
>
> Bruce Barker wrote:
>
>> this is almost always a coding error of storing data in a c# static,
>> a vb public shared, or public variables in a vb module. in all cases
>> the data is shared between all requests. so naturally users see each
>> others data as there is only one copy.

> I tried to post a question about this to you on .NET 247 but the
> browser swallowed it -- if it's *almost* always, then what are the the
> other possibilities?
>
> I have a log file that says people's *session IDs* are changing -- not
> the contents of the variables. The logging code dumps all session
> variables along with the request URL and session ID, and with absolutely
> no exception the variables are consistent (ie. all logged requests that
> have the same session ID also have the same values for the variables if
> that makes any sense to you), so I can say fairly certainly that the
> issue is not storing data in a static variable.
>
> In short, for some reason two or more people are in fact getting the
> same session ID. I'm by no means ruling out coding errors though, that
> could very well be the cause. I just need to *locate* the problem
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> -Lauri

Lauri Kotilainen

Hi again,

Mr Newbie wrote:

> One possibility is that there is an issue with caching, I was
> wondering if increasing the servers memory has any effect. I Know
> this is not good science, but sometimes its worth a try.

Would that be an issue if I'm not using caching? The server is in a
hosted environment (I'm working blind and with a lot of limitations
here), so I can't just drop in another memory stick

-Lauri

Mr Newbie

The server is using caching regardless of if you asked it to. I realise your
plight and Ive been in similar positions before. All you can do is map your
approach and offer management alternatives against cost/potential.

A memory stick worth 50 may or may not cure the problem, but how much has
it cost you so far in time ?

"Lauri Kotilainen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CghYe.27198$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi again,
>
> Mr Newbie wrote:
>
>> One possibility is that there is an issue with caching, I was
>> wondering if increasing the servers memory has any effect. I Know
>> this is not good science, but sometimes its worth a try.

> Would that be an issue if I'm not using caching? The server is in a
> hosted environment (I'm working blind and with a lot of limitations
> here), so I can't just drop in another memory stick
>
> -Lauri

Lauri Kotilainen

Mr Newbie wrote:

> The server is using caching regardless of if you asked it to. I
> realise your plight and Ive been in similar positions before. All you
> can do is map your approach and offer management alternatives
> against cost/potential.

Am doing that just now, and I appreciate your input. Still hoping to
code my way out of this though.

I assume the caching you're talking about is not ASP.NET caching,
because I should be able to control that behavior?

The idea that caching would effectively change the URL the user is
requesting -- remember we're talking cookieless sessions here, where the
SID is a part of the URL -- is very weird to say the least.

As the SID is not a query string variable, but rather a part of the
path to the page, I would assume that any normal caching scheme would
consider two URLs with distinctly different SIDs to be completely
different pages (unless the caching is done by ASP.NET in which case the
runtime would know that it's actually the same page with different
variables).

-Lauri

Mr Newbie

Well, Im interested to know how this develops ( No Pun Intended ! ). Let
me know.

Cheers - Mr N

"Lauri Kotilainen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vgiYe.27230$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Mr Newbie wrote:
>
>> The server is using caching regardless of if you asked it to. I realise
>> your plight and Ive been in similar positions before. All you
>> can do is map your approach and offer management alternatives
>> against cost/potential.

> Am doing that just now, and I appreciate your input. Still hoping to
> code my way out of this though.
>
> I assume the caching you're talking about is not ASP.NET caching,
> because I should be able to control that behavior?
>
> The idea that caching would effectively change the URL the user is
> requesting -- remember we're talking cookieless sessions here, where the
> SID is a part of the URL -- is very weird to say the least.
>
> As the SID is not a query string variable, but rather a part of the
> path to the page, I would assume that any normal caching scheme would
> consider two URLs with distinctly different SIDs to be completely
> different pages (unless the caching is done by ASP.NET in which case the
> runtime would know that it's actually the same page with different
> variables).
>
> -Lauri

Pennidren Pennidren is offline
Junior Member

Lauri! Please oh please tell me you figured out what the problem was...!

I believe I am having the same issue; no statics/shared data in the entire application.