Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > IIS6 and Windows Authentication

IIS6 and Windows Authentication

=?Utf-8?B?U2Ft?=

We have a small ASP.Net app that serves only a specific department. We would
like to use windows authentication and only allow the dept folks access the
web app.
Use IIS6, Windows 2003, a member server of AD domain. Now, we dont want to
use IP address based auth. The dept has a group created in local machine as
well as in the AD. we dont want anyone besides that group (department) access
the app.

What is the best way to get authentication working for the above ASP.Net app?

Any recommendation or advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sam

Patrick.O.Ige

If you want to use windows Auth with ASP.NET
Go to IIS right click on the site u are interested in and select Properties
> Directory Security >

Anonymous Access >Edit and uncheck Anonymous access
that will give you Windows Auth and you will now be prompted to logon to the
webpage
Now it will depend if you would like to authorize the user using AD or the
group in the local machine.
But if its in a DOMAIN environment you can set this easily in the Web.Config
Check :-
http://www.dotnetbips.com/238AE9FE-A....aspx?articlei
d=117
or my blog at if interested in AD :-