Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > dumb question?

dumb question?

PJ6

Are there any plans for broswers to support a real language client-side, and
not just "cripple script"? Will we ever have the luxury of programming using
Framework classes client-side some day?

Paul

=?Utf-8?B?Q3VydF9DIFtNVlBd?=

Sure... it's called WinForms.
Seriously though, the security risk is so great that most would never allow
it to be installed.

--
Curt Christianson
site: http://www.darkfalz.com

"PJ6" wrote:

> Are there any plans for broswers to support a real language client-side, and
> not just "cripple script"? Will we ever have the luxury of programming using
> Framework classes client-side some day?
>
> Paul

sreejith.ram@gmail.com

The reason, for client side langauges having restricted features, is
security concerns. Seeing the frequency viruses/hacks are being
announced, I belive it will only become even more restricted in the
future

Oliver Wong

"PJ6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any plans for broswers to support a real language client-side,
> and not just "cripple script"? Will we ever have the luxury of programming
> using Framework classes client-side some day?

I think your best bet for a "real" programming language that runs on the
client side is Java (note that this is distinct from "JavaScript").

- Oliver

darrel

> Are there any plans for broswers to support a real language client-side,
and
> not just "cripple script"? Will we ever have the luxury of programming

using
> Framework classes client-side some day?

If you're using a real language and wanting to make applications, then why
bother with the browser in the first place?

-Darrel

John MacIntyre

"PJ6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are there any plans for broswers to support a real language client-side,
> and not just "cripple script"? Will we ever have the luxury of programming
> using Framework classes client-side some day?

I'd be happy with cripple script and a consistent API.

While IE may have almost the entire markets share, it would still be nice to
have your client script run on every browser.

PJ6

"darrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you're using a real language and wanting to make applications, then why
> bother with the browser in the first place?
>
> -Darrel

You're preaching to the choir, man. But everyone's all web this, web that. I
avoided it as long as I could.

Paul

PJ6

I just don't see a necessary correlation between the power of a language and
it's ability to do damage - proper design should separate object
creation/execution and whatever else the language allows at runtime from
direct system access. Java has this whole "virtual machine" thing (which I
admit I know very little about), it would seem to me not an overly difficult
(if labor-intensive) concept to apply security restrictions to the Framework
as a whole, to allow WinForms-style functionality over the web. The
Framework has been compiled for Linux, I think it would be an excellent
candidate for a new web UI standard. Screw this clunky HTML/Java crap. To me
it all looks like just a hack to get around a system that was never intended
to do what it does now.

If you're next response is "you don't know what you're talking about", then
fine; I admit I'm a newbie. This is just how I see the state of web
application development at the moment. I come from years of real application
development, its ugliness frustrates and surprises me.

Paul

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> The reason, for client side langauges having restricted features, is
> security concerns. Seeing the frequency viruses/hacks are being
> announced, I belive it will only become even more restricted in the
> future

John MacIntyre

"PJ6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[snip]
> Framework has been compiled for Linux, I think it would be an excellent
> candidate for a new web UI standard. Screw this clunky HTML/Java crap. To
> me it all looks like just a hack to get around a system that was never
> intended to do what it does now.

[snip]

Theres a paradigm shift moving from Windows apps to web-apps. You lose the
ability to quickly respond to user actions. IMHO; trying to compensate for
that with applets or smartclient is not the way to go. Don't get me wrong,
applets & smartclients have thier place, but I don't think compensating for
the limitations of HTML qualifies.

Why do you want a client heavy UI functionality? Why don't you do all the
real application work on the server & deliver standard HTML to the client,
with as little client side script as possible?

There are good ways to handle this; ASP.NET and Java are both great. If you
prefer Java, look into MVC architecture and STRUTS.
http://struts.apache.org/

If you REALLY WANT an app with immediate response functionality similar to a
windows application and pages refresh; it is possible .. I've done it.
Keep in mind that the more browsers & browser versions you try to support,
the more problems you will have. But if you insist on doing it that way,
build your application in client side script and have a 0x0 iframe which
submits and recieves data.

That's my 2 cents FWIW, I hope it helps.

--
Regards,
John MacIntyre

John MacIntyre

woops .. typo

> If you REALLY WANT an app with immediate response functionality similar to
> a windows application and pages refresh; it is possible .. I've done it.

that line should be "and NO page refresh"

Dumb, Dumb Vista Au79 Computer Support 4 02-11-2007 03:40 PM
Probably a dumb s/// question. Mark Healey Perl 2 03-16-2005 04:51 PM
Dumb, dumb dumb Qestion David Napierkowski Digital Photography 6 10-31-2004 11:14 PM
Re: Dumb question Walter Roberson Cisco 1 07-23-2003 01:05 PM

Advertisments