Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox 1.0.2 Extensions Problem

Firefox 1.0.2 Extensions Problem

John Coxon

In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Arne's voice said the following,
in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so low as to
make a man weep:

> Once upon a time *John Coxon* wrote:
>
>>Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
>>released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
>>extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
>>(1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
>>and no extension appears.
>>
>>With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
>>versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
>>folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
>>have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
>>
>>One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
>>working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
>>Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
>>people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it.
>>
>>Thanks.

> To see the plugins you have, look at aboutlugins
> When you install a new plugin it should be find there.

It won't let me install them, therefore they are not there. I looked when
you posted. Nothing except a bunch of QuickTime plugins, Flash plugins et
cetera which I suspect were there when I downloaded Firefox as I don't
remember installing them.

> Find more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com
> Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org

I think that you're mistaking my problem, as the help installing plug-ins
webpage helped none at all. I don't want to know how to make Acrobat Reader
or Windows Media Player work, I want to know how to install extensions -
which I was able to do before 1.0 was released, and have been unable to do
thus far.

Extensions as in the .xpi files available from
https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/ .

--
John Coxon

A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

John Coxon

In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, John Thompson's voice said the
following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
low as to make a man weep:

> Do you have sotware updates eneabled in the Preferences...Advanced
> section?

I cannot find a preferences menu in Firefox. Where can I find it?

--
John Coxon

A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

John Coxon

In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, John Coxon's voice said the
following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
low as to make a man weep:

> In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, John Thompson's voice said
> the following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion
> levels so low as to make a man weep:

>> Do you have sotware updates eneabled in the Preferences...Advanced
>> section?

> I cannot find a preferences menu in Firefox. Where can I find it?

Ah, I take it you mean options. I've located the Advanced section but I
cannot find a way to enable software updates. I can find a way of
automatically checking for them, but no way to enable them.

--
John Coxon

A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

Deputy Dog

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:55:29 +0100, John Coxon wrote:

>> Find more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com
>> Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org

> I think that you're mistaking my problem, as the help installing plug-ins
> webpage helped none at all. I don't want to know how to make Acrobat Reader
> or Windows Media Player work, I want to know how to install extensions -
> which I was able to do before 1.0 was released, and have been unable to do
> thus far.
>
> Extensions as in the .xpi files available from
> https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/ .

Tools/Options/Web Features/Allow web sites to install software

Do you have this checked? It needs to be checked even if the extension is
on your own computer.

Billb
--
Reply To: works

Big Will

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:48:06 -0700, Big Will wrote:
>

>>>I have the same problem. I tried to load and install extensions by using
>>>the automatic feature under Preferences/Advanced. The updates were
>>>downloaded but could not be installed. The reason given was: "Qute 3
>>>(Install script not found). I have extensions I loaded under ver 1.0 and
>>>1.0.1. Is there a cure for this problem?
>>>
>>>dj tuchler

>>What extensions are you trying to load? Does it say that they're
>>compatible with your release of FF? What happens when you try loading a
>>plugin using a different profile (firefox.exe -p; on Windoze it's
>>"c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p)?
>>

> I am operating under Linux (SuSE 9.2)
>
> I've tried to get two extensions: One enabling chat and
> one enabling multiple-file downloads. The only indication of why
> they can't be installed (they download fine, according to the download
> indicator) is that either a script is missing or they simply can't be
> installed.
>
> I haven't tried installing any plug-ins other than extensions.

Follow the instructions at
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile to create a new profile.
Then, see if it'll let you install extensions under the new one. If
so, then there's some extension or theme in your old profile that's
preventing you from installing the extensions you want/need. I had a
similar problem when ff 1.0.1 was released and creating a new profile
worked great for me.

John Coxon

In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Deputy Dog's voice said the
following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
low as to make a man weep:

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:55:29 +0100, John Coxon wrote:
>
>>>Find more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com
>>>Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org

>>I think that you're mistaking my problem, as the help installing plug-ins
>>webpage helped none at all. I don't want to know how to make Acrobat Reader
>>or Windows Media Player work, I want to know how to install extensions -
>>which I was able to do before 1.0 was released, and have been unable to do
>>thus far.
>>
>>Extensions as in the .xpi files available from
>>https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/ .

> Tools/Options/Web Features/Allow web sites to install software
>
> Do you have this checked? It needs to be checked even if the extension is
> on your own computer.

Yes, it is checked, it was already checked when I looked at it to see. That
can't be the problem.

--
John Coxon

A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

John Thompson

On 2005-04-17, John Coxon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Extensions as in the .xpi files available from
>>>https://addons.update.mozilla.org/extensions/ .

>> Tools/Options/Web Features/Allow web sites to install software
>>
>> Do you have this checked? It needs to be checked even if the extension is
>> on your own computer.

> Yes, it is checked, it was already checked when I looked at it to see. That
> can't be the problem.

Another thing to check if you're on linux is to make sure the permissions
are set properly in your profile directory. You may want to do a "chown -R
[username]:[groupname] ~/.mozilla/*" just to make sure.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

John Coxon

In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, John Thompson's voice said the
following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
low as to make a man weep:

>>>Tools/Options/Web Features/Allow web sites to install software
>>>
>>>Do you have this checked? It needs to be checked even if the extension is
>>>on your own computer.

>>Yes, it is checked, it was already checked when I looked at it to see. That
>>can't be the problem.

> Another thing to check if you're on linux is to make sure the permissions
> are set properly in your profile directory. You may want to do a "chown -R
> [username]:[groupname] ~/.mozilla/*" just to make sure.

I stated in the original I was on Windows ME. So that won't help, sorry.

--
John Coxon

A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

vishwesh vishwesh is offline
Junior Member

Doing clean install of firefox will solve this problem. use following url to know how to perform clean install