Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox 1.0.2 Extensions Problem

Firefox 1.0.2 Extensions Problem

John Coxon

Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
(1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
and no extension appears.

With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.

One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it.

Thanks.
--
John Coxon

A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

Doug G

John Coxon wrote:

> Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
> released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
> extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
> (1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
> and no extension appears.
>
> With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
> versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
> folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
> have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
>
> One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
> working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
> Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
> people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it.
>
> Thanks.

To install a downloaded extension, I use the browser's File > Open File
or I drag the xpi file from Windows Explorer and drop it on the browser
window.

The only time I use the Extensions window to install an extension is
when I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird.

John Coxon

In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Doug G's voice said the
following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
low as to make a man weep:

> John Coxon wrote:
>
>>Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
>>released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
>>extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
>>(1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
>>and no extension appears.
>>
>>With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
>>versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
>>folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
>>have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
>>
>>One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
>>working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
>>Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
>>people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it.
>>
>>Thanks.

> To install a downloaded extension, I use the browser's File > Open File
> or I drag the xpi file from Windows Explorer and drop it on the browser
> window.
>
> The only time I use the Extensions window to install an extension is
> when I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird.

Dragging the xpi just onto the browser window also does not work, and File >
Open File doesn't either. Both make the "Install (2)... Install (1)...
Install" window come up, both then load the Extensions window after I click
"Install", and both don't show the extension or any sign that it's
installing at all.

Any other possible solutions?

--

John Coxon wrote:
> In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Doug G's voice said the
> following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
> low as to make a man weep:
>
>> John Coxon wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
>>>released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
>>>extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
>>>(1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
>>>and no extension appears.
>>>
>>>With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
>>>versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
>>>folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
>>>have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
>>>
>>>One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
>>>working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
>>>Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
>>>people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it.
>>>
>>>Thanks.

>> To install a downloaded extension, I use the browser's File > Open File
>> or I drag the xpi file from Windows Explorer and drop it on the browser
>> window.
>>
>> The only time I use the Extensions window to install an extension is
>> when I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird.

> Dragging the xpi just onto the browser window also does not work, and File >
> Open File doesn't either. Both make the "Install (2)... Install (1)...
> Install" window come up, both then load the Extensions window after I click
> "Install", and both don't show the extension or any sign that it's
> installing at all.
>
> Any other possible solutions?

Do you have Javascript enabled?

John Coxon

In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Doug G's voice said the
following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
low as to make a man weep:

> John Coxon wrote:
>
>>In the two thousand and fifth year of Bob, Doug G's voice said the
>>following, in wonderful perfect quadrophonic sound with distortion levels so
>>low as to make a man weep:

>>>To install a downloaded extension, I use the browser's File > Open File
>>>or I drag the xpi file from Windows Explorer and drop it on the browser
>>>window.
>>>
>>>The only time I use the Extensions window to install an extension is
>>>when I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird.

>>Dragging the xpi just onto the browser window also does not work, and File >
>>Open File doesn't either. Both make the "Install (2)... Install (1)...
>>Install" window come up, both then load the Extensions window after I click
>>"Install", and both don't show the extension or any sign that it's
>>installing at all.
>>
>>Any other possible solutions?

> Do you have Javascript enabled?

Yes (I'm assuming you mean the option in Web Features > Enable Javascript).

--
John Coxon

A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.

Email: john[dot]coxon[at]gmail[dot]com
Website: http://alphacentauri.8k.com
Missing footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemowiki.pl?ISFN
ZZ9 - the official HHGG appreciation society: http://www.zz9.org/

John Thompson

On 2005-04-16, John Coxon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Dragging the xpi just onto the browser window also does not work, and File >
>>>Open File doesn't either. Both make the "Install (2)... Install (1)...
>>>Install" window come up, both then load the Extensions window after I click
>>>"Install", and both don't show the extension or any sign that it's
>>>installing at all.
>>>
>>>Any other possible solutions?

Do you have sotware updates eneabled in the Preferences...Advanced
section?

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Arne

Once upon a time *John Coxon* wrote:
> Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
> released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
> extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
> (1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
> and no extension appears.
>
> With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
> versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
> folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
> have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
>
> One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
> working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
> Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
> people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it.
>
> Thanks.

To see the plugins you have, look at aboutlugins
When you install a new plugin it should be find there.

Find more information about browser plug-ins at Netscape.com
Help for installing plug-ins is available from plugindoc.mozdev.org

--
/Arne

are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
quote signatures, thank you.

Dennis J. Tuchler

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:49:24 +0200, Arne wrote:

> Once upon a time *John Coxon* wrote:
>> Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
>> released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
>> extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
>> (1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
>> and no extension appears.
>>
>> With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
>> versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
>> folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
>> have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
>>
>> One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
>> working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
>> Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
>> people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it.

I have the same problem. I tried to load and install extensions by using
the automatic feature under Preferences/Advanced. The updates were
downloaded but could not be installed. The reason given was: "Qute 3
(Install script not found). I have extensions I loaded under ver 1.0 and
1.0.1. Is there a cure for this problem?

dj tuchler

Big Will

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:49:24 +0200, Arne wrote:
>

>>Once upon a time *John Coxon* wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, I've been trying to install extensions to Firefox since version 1.0 was
>>>released. I open the Extensions window, and then drag my downloaded
>>>extension into the window. The window with the Install (2)... Install
>>>(1)... Install prompt comes up, and I click on Install, but nothing happens
>>>and no extension appears.
>>>
>>>With some extensions (I am given to believe that they were built for older
>>>versions of Firefox) I would be asked to click OK to install to the program
>>>folder or Cancel to install to the profiles folder on 1.0/1.0.1, but now I
>>>have 1.0.2 even that does not happen.
>>>
>>>One of the favourite features of Firefox is the extensions, and they're not
>>>working. Does anybody know of a way to fix this, please? I'm running
>>>Windows ME and Firefox 1.0.2 en-GB. I can supply any other information
>>>people need to help me if they tell me where to look to find it.
>>>

> I have the same problem. I tried to load and install extensions by using
> the automatic feature under Preferences/Advanced. The updates were
> downloaded but could not be installed. The reason given was: "Qute 3
> (Install script not found). I have extensions I loaded under ver 1.0 and
> 1.0.1. Is there a cure for this problem?
>
> dj tuchler

What extensions are you trying to load? Does it say that they're
compatible with your release of FF? What happens when you try loading a
plugin using a different profile (firefox.exe -p; on Windoze it's
"c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p)?

Regards,

Will

Dennis J. Tuchler

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:48:06 -0700, Big Will wrote:

>> I have the same problem. I tried to load and install extensions by using
>> the automatic feature under Preferences/Advanced. The updates were
>> downloaded but could not be installed. The reason given was: "Qute 3
>> (Install script not found). I have extensions I loaded under ver 1.0 and
>> 1.0.1. Is there a cure for this problem?
>>
>> dj tuchler

> What extensions are you trying to load? Does it say that they're
> compatible with your release of FF? What happens when you try loading a
> plugin using a different profile (firefox.exe -p; on Windoze it's
> "c:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p)?

I am operating under Linux (SuSE 9.2)

I've tried to get two extensions: One enabling chat and
one enabling multiple-file downloads. The only indication of why
they can't be installed (they download fine, according to the download
indicator) is that either a script is missing or they simply can't be
installed.

I haven't tried installing any plug-ins other than extensions.