Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox isn't good enough yet

Firefox isn't good enough yet

The One

I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
unavailable.

However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what
so ever.

Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
tweeking to be a competative browser.

With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the better
option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open but
is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe it
was designed for use under Windows ME.

The One

"The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
> but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
> minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is

supposedly
> unavailable.
>
> However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems

what
> so ever.
>
> Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
> tweeking to be a competative browser.
>
> With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the

better
> option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
> unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open

but
> is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe

it
> was designed for use under Windows ME.

IE is also faster.

David Harrison

On 4/15/2005 11:55 AM, The One said:
> I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
> but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
> minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
> unavailable.
>
> However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what
> so ever.
>
> Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
> tweeking to be a competative browser.
>
> With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the better
> option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
> unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open but
> is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe it
> was designed for use under Windows ME.

I doubt these problems are down to Firefox being a naff browser. It's
likelier that the webmasters of the sites you mention just can't be
arsed to create cross-browser code.

As for the "system" problems, it might help to specify which version of
Windows, and what else you're running (ie *which* firewall), and so on.
Have you checked that your firewall rules allow Firefox to connect to
external sites? If not, that might explain the very long wait.

cheers,

David H

Bryan Harrison

The One wrote:
> I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
> but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
> minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
> unavailable.

You wait 20 minutes before you realise that a page isn't going to load?
It would take me a minute to:
try a page
realise it doesn't load
try it in IE
realise that IE works
work out that because so many people use Firefox it can't be that bad,
so the problem is more likely to be with the setup of my computer.

Or I could try your route
try a page
wait 20 minutes then think that Firefox is useless and the 100000s of
users must be stupid. Why else would they be happy with a browser that
doesn't load pages.

If you prefer IE, then go with it and good luck (you'll need it)
If you want to just bad mouth Firefox, then you are wasting your breath.
We know how good it is
If you want help with your setup to make Firefox work, then ask for
flippin help.

--
Bryan

Reclaim Your Browser!
http://www.getfirefox.com

Arne

Once upon a time *The One* wrote:

> "The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
>> but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
>> minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is

> supposedly
>> unavailable.
>>
>> However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems

> what
>> so ever.
>>
>> Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
>> tweeking to be a competative browser.
>>
>> With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the

> better
>> option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
>> unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open

> but
>> is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe

> it
>> was designed for use under Windows ME.
>>

> IE is also faster.

I doubt that. It takes one sec to load my start page (my own website)
with Mozilla, and approx 5 sec with IE. Maybe that's because the page
is well done (cross browser friendly and validates)?

--
/Arne

are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
quote signatures, thank you.

John

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:55:04 +0100, "The One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
>but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
>minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
>unavailable.
>
>However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what
>so ever.
>
>Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
>tweeking to be a competative browser.
>
>With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the better
>option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
>unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open but
>is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe it
>was designed for use under Windows ME.

I'm not enough of an expert to even suggest what may be wrong with your
computer, or the web pages you are trying to load.
Better people than myself will have to help you there.
However, if you don't have at least W98SE, perhaps it is time for an upgrade . .
I've used Firefox for a long time on a 800 mzh W98SE computer (with 384 meg of
RAM) and it works like a charm.
My AV is McAfee, and I use the firewall built into my D-Link DI-604 router.
Fast, dependable, no problems, no attacks.

Cheers! (and good luck if you stick with MS IE.)

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

Skratz

The One wrote:
> I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
> but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
> minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
> unavailable.

20 minutes?? i didn't know there were still people who had so much time
to wait for a webpage.
Webpage? what webpage, where is the link. Why do you come here ranting
about your problem without even providing something that can be used to
help you solve your problem?

> However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what so ever.

IE is not a standards complient webbrowser, it is some pile of code that
just processes anything you throw at it, including malware, spyware and
other crap you never wanted it to process.

> Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic tweeking to be a competative browser.

It already is a excellent standards complient webbrowser.

> With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the better
> option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
> unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open but
> is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe it
> was designed for use under Windows ME.

So you want to use a OS that has been known to be the worst OS made by
MS and then complain you can't get software to run on it propperly.
Even though you don't even know that that is the problem.
You also like it much more to install 15 programmes to have the illusion
of being safe, rather than installing yust one program that does exactly
the same than half the programmes you installed and prevents what the
other half is needed to clean out.

--
No one looks weird at somebody who asks things he doesn't know, but most
people will look weird and ignore people who rant about things they have

John Thompson

On 2005-04-15, The One <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
> but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
> minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
> unavailable.
>
> However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what
> so ever.

What sites, specifically? I've been using Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox for a
couple years already and the only sites that have given me problems are
ones that insist on using non-standards compliant HTML. That is hardly
Firefox's problem.

> Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
> tweeking to be a competative browser.

Hmm. "While Internet Explorer is potentially an excellent browser, it
still needs drastic tweaking to be a competative, secure, and
standards-compliant browser."

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Big Will

The One wrote:
> I've used Firefox for a few months now, I know its more secure than IE
> but...... frustrating isn't the word, I've been sitting here for about 20
> minutes now and it wont allow me to load up any web page as it is supposedly
> unavailable.
>
> However the web pages can happily be viewed in IE without any problems what
> so ever.
>
> Where Firefox is potentially an excellent browser, it still needs drastic
> tweeking to be a competative browser.
>
> With relevent spyware blockers and a decent firewall, IE is still the better
> option as there as too many problems within Firefox such as sudden
> unavailability of any web pages, on startup the browser screen wont open but
> is running under processes in the background just to name a couple. Maybe it
> was designed for use under Windows ME.

how about letting us know what pages you're trying to load, so that we
could verify if it's the browser or maybe something screwy on your computer.

Regards,

Will

The One

> Hmm. "While Internet Explorer is potentially an excellent browser, it
> still needs drastic tweaking to be a competative, secure, and
> standards-compliant browser."

Hmmm it is still better than Firefox whatevers wrong with it.