Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Secure sites

Secure sites

John A. Merullo

Hi everyone! I've been a Firefox user for several months now and,
overall, I'm very pleased with it. I've never cared for Internet
Exploder--I used Netscape at work until I was essentially ordered not to.

One problem I've been having is accessing secure sites. Whenever I try
to get to one I get a message that the connection has unexpectedly been
terminated.

I tried one (that does not involve money) on Internet Exploder and it
worked fine, so it must be Firefox.

What do I do?

Thanks,
John in Houston

Nigel Stapley

John A. Merullo wrote:
> Hi everyone! I've been a Firefox user for several months now and,
> overall, I'm very pleased with it. I've never cared for Internet
> Exploder--I used Netscape at work until I was essentially ordered not to.
>
> One problem I've been having is accessing secure sites. Whenever I try
> to get to one I get a message that the connection has unexpectedly been
> terminated.
>
> I tried one (that does not involve money) on Internet Exploder and it
> worked fine, so it must be Firefox.
>
> What do I do?

Not necessarily a Firefox problem - quite possibly the site is only
configured for Infernal Exploiter. There are still a lot of these.

You could try e-mailing the webmaster(s) and asking them. Tell them in
passing that more people are using non-IE browsers now, and it would be
in their interests to make their site compatible with some of them.

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

mike555

=== you might try the extension called "User Agent Switcher", it can be
set to lie to the website and tell it your using IE , in some cases it
works ===

Moz Champion

John A. Merullo wrote:
> Hi everyone! I've been a Firefox user for several months now and,
> overall, I'm very pleased with it. I've never cared for Internet
> Exploder--I used Netscape at work until I was essentially ordered not to.
>
> One problem I've been having is accessing secure sites. Whenever I try
> to get to one I get a message that the connection has unexpectedly been
> terminated.
>
> I tried one (that does not involve money) on Internet Exploder and it
> worked fine, so it must be Firefox.
>
> What do I do?
>
> Thanks,
> John in Houston

Do you use a proxy for accessing the web? Your access server may not be
configured to allow FF to secure sites.

John A. Merullo

Moz Champion wrote:
> John A. Merullo wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone! I've been a Firefox user for several months now and,
>> overall, I'm very pleased with it. I've never cared for Internet
>> Exploder--I used Netscape at work until I was essentially ordered not to.
>>
>> One problem I've been having is accessing secure sites. Whenever I try
>> to get to one I get a message that the connection has unexpectedly
>> been terminated.
>>
>> I tried one (that does not involve money) on Internet Exploder and it
>> worked fine, so it must be Firefox.
>>
>> What do I do?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John in Houston

> Do you use a proxy for accessing the web? Your access server may not be
> configured to allow FF to secure sites.

I think that was it! I changed to "auto-detect" and I got through!

Thanks!
John