Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Book reccomendations please

Book reccomendations please

Owen

Hi

I haven't done any "serious" dot net development in over six months, but I
am about to start a new job where I will be doing it every day.

I want to get myself a couple of good books to arm myself with when I enter
the new job. My level is "experienced" but certainly not "expert". I need
something which serves as a good "reference" type book, for working with,
but also explains some of the basics in a plain english way.

The emphasis would be on VB.NET and ASP.NET

Any suggestions / reccomendations ?

Cheers
Owen
PS. replies cc'd via email appreciated

Damien

Owen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I haven't done any "serious" dot net development in over six months, but I
> am about to start a new job where I will be doing it every day.
>
> I want to get myself a couple of good books to arm myself with when I enter
> the new job. My level is "experienced" but certainly not "expert". I need
> something which serves as a good "reference" type book, for working with,
> but also explains some of the basics in a plain english way.
>
> The emphasis would be on VB.NET and ASP.NET
>
> Any suggestions / reccomendations ?
>

> Cheers
> Owen
> PS. replies cc'd via email appreciated
> (E-Mail Removed)

I've found "Programming Visual Basic .NET" from Microsoft Press quite
useful for dipping into. I've got a couple of Wrox books (ASP.NET
programmers reference and ADO.NET programmers reference) that I've used
from time to time.

I'd recommend "Writing Secure Code", again from Microsoft Press to
anyone (even though it's not in the scope of your original request),
since I believe that everyone should have an understanding of what they
should and shouldn't do in this day and age (change "recommend" to
"must read" if your ASP.NET is Internet facing rather than just
intranet).

Damien

Owen

"Damien" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Owen wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I haven't done any "serious" dot net development in over six months, but
>> am about to start a new job where I will be doing it every day.
>>
>> I want to get myself a couple of good books to arm myself with when I
>> enter
>> the new job. My level is "experienced" but certainly not "expert". I
>> need
>> something which serves as a good "reference" type book, for working with,
>> but also explains some of the basics in a plain english way.
>>
>> The emphasis would be on VB.NET and ASP.NET
>>
>> Any suggestions / reccomendations ?
>>

>> Cheers
>> Owen
>> PS. replies cc'd via email appreciated
>> (E-Mail Removed)

> I've found "Programming Visual Basic .NET" from Microsoft Press quite
> useful for dipping into. I've got a couple of Wrox books (ASP.NET
> programmers reference and ADO.NET programmers reference) that I've used
> from time to time.

Thanks Damien, I've just hopped over to Amazon and got myself tooled up.
Got a couple of those 'In a Nutshell' books, too.

Cheers,
Owen

hashimisayed@gmail.com

If you are going to be building web applications, then at some point,
you may have to write a smart client too. Smart clients are the best of
thin clients and thick clients (and more). If you haven't done so
already, read up on them and consider buying the book at the following
link:

http://www.bookpool.com/.x/SSSSSS_C333/sm/1590595513

Photo book publishing - reccomendations? Kulvinder Singh Matharu Digital Photography 2 06-03-2008 06:03 PM
Book Reccomendations? Geoff Coope HTML 0 03-27-2006 11:49 AM
Book reccomendations please - developing Web Services Owen ASP .Net 2 09-14-2005 12:05 PM
Colour printer reccomendations please Mr Bond NZ Computing 18 10-22-2004 10:40 AM
OT: Shopping cart reccomendations John ASP .Net 1 11-07-2003 05:16 PM

Advertisments