Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Secure Server - What Does It Take?

Secure Server - What Does It Take?

Jeremy S.

What does it take to make a Web server a "secure server"?

I need to serve some images from my IIS6 server and they must be accessible
via https.

I have never set up a server to work with https.

How can I accomplish this? Where do I start?

Thanks

Web Team @ Borough of Poole

Hi Jeremy,

Its quite a simple process, detailed here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...re/iisslsc.htm

You need to purchase a certificate at some point, I recently used
Verisign:
http://www.verisign.com/products-ser...ssl/index.html
(There are other vendors out there).

Verigisn offer a trial certificate for free - Good if you want to have
a play:
http://www.verisign.com/products-ser...es/free-trial/

Once you've got the certificate installed, simply link to the content
which needs to transported via SSL by using HTTPS// instead of HTTP://

You may want to configure the server to ensure that the content is ONLY
accessible via SSL. I'm pretty sure this is possible, although I've
never tried it myself.

HTH!

Simon.

Jeremy S.