Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > button attributes disable validation

button attributes disable validation

Tim Meagher

I am trying to use both validation controls and to add submit button
attributes, but when I add the button attributes, the javascript fpr the
validation controls is no longer created for the page. How can I use both?

Thank you,

Tim Meagher

Peter Blum

Hi Tim,

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to add javascript to the
submit button and it breaks client-side validation. If that's the case, see
this article: http://aspalliance.com/699 in the topic "Messageboxes and
Validation". While it shows how to add a confirm prompt, you can use the
technique shown to add any javascript to a button.

--- Peter Blum
www.PeterBlum.com
http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx

"Tim Meagher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Oa%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to use both validation controls and to add submit button
> attributes, but when I add the button attributes, the javascript fpr the
> validation controls is no longer created for the page. How can I use
> both?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Tim Meagher

Tim Meagher

Peter,

Thank you for this information. It has shown me how to invoke the
validation objects when the submit button is pressed as part of the server
side event handler - and it appears that the validation should be added to
server-side handling especially for browsers that cannot handle client-side
validation.

I would still be interested in knowing how to run the client-side validation
in conjunction with the confirm feature that I added to my submit button to
avoid a postback.

Regards,

Tim

"Peter Blum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Tim,
>
> If I understand you correctly, you are trying to add javascript to the
> submit button and it breaks client-side validation. If that's the case,

see
> this article: http://aspalliance.com/699 in the topic "Messageboxes and
> Validation". While it shows how to add a confirm prompt, you can use the
> technique shown to add any javascript to a button.
>
> --- Peter Blum
> www.PeterBlum.com
> Email: (E-Mail Removed)
> Creator of "Professional Validation And More" at
> http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx
>
> "Tim Meagher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Oa%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am trying to use both validation controls and to add submit button
> > attributes, but when I add the button attributes, the javascript fpr the
> > validation controls is no longer created for the page. How can I use
> > both?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Tim Meagher

Tim Meagher

Hi Peter,

I also found out that one can selectively enable and disable client side
validation merely by setting the enable flag of the validation control to
true or false. I was able to take advantage of that in my code to simplify
validation for all my validation controls by creating the two following
methods:

// Returns true if validation succeeds for the given validation control, or,

// if the control is not enabled (in which case no validation should occur)

private bool IsValidControl(BaseValidator control)

{

if (!control.Enabled)

{

return true;

}

control.Validate();

return (control.IsValid);

}

private bool IsValidForm()

{

bool valid = true;

valid &= IsValidControl(ReqValUserID);

valid &= IsValidControl(RegexUserID);

valid &= IsValidControl(ReqValFirstName);

valid &= IsValidControl(RegexFirstName);

valid &= IsValidControl(RegexMiddleInitial);

valid &= IsValidControl(ReqValLastName);

valid &= IsValidControl(RegexLastName);

valid &= IsValidControl(ReqValEmail);

valid &= IsValidControl(RegexEmail);

valid &= IsValidControl(ReqValPhone);

valid &= IsValidControl(RegexPhone);

valid &= IsValidControl(ReqValNotes);

valid &= IsValidControl(ReqValReject);

return valid;

}

Finally, I invoked the IsValidForm() method in my submit button onclick
handler as follows:

if (!IsValidForm())

{

return;

}

Tim

"Peter Blum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Tim,
>
> If I understand you correctly, you are trying to add javascript to the
> submit button and it breaks client-side validation. If that's the case,

see
> this article: http://aspalliance.com/699 in the topic "Messageboxes and
> Validation". While it shows how to add a confirm prompt, you can use the
> technique shown to add any javascript to a button.
>
> --- Peter Blum
> www.PeterBlum.com
> Email: (E-Mail Removed)
> Creator of "Professional Validation And More" at
> http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx
>
> "Tim Meagher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Oa%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am trying to use both validation controls and to add submit button
> > attributes, but when I add the button attributes, the javascript fpr the
> > validation controls is no longer created for the page. How can I use
> > both?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Tim Meagher

Peter Blum

Hi Tim,

You wrote:
> I would still be interested in knowing how to run the client-side
> validation
> in conjunction with the confirm feature that I added to my submit button
> avoid a postback.

I'm confused by this. I pointed you to a portion of my article that
specifically handles client-side confirm that either permits or blocks
submitting the page.

FYI: This is easier in my Professional Validation And More. I give you
properties to create confirm messages and run the confirm either before or
after page validation runs on the client side. I also give you a hook to add
any other javascript you want into the page validation process so you can
stop the page from submitting for your own reasons.

--- Peter Blum
www.PeterBlum.com
Email: (E-Mail Removed)