Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > V1.0.2 upgrade problem

V1.0.2 upgrade problem

MikeS

I upgraded to above version. Previous V. had been working fine.
It appears that both Firefox and Firefox (safe mode) were downloaded
as both titles appear on the applications menu.

Problem: In the browser page, when an URL address (any address) is
entered, an error message comes up " (the URL address) could not be
found..."

THis message comes up in both both browser pages, firefox & firefox
(safe mode).
I tried a right click on desktop Firefox, selected Properties to see
if there was anything in the command line after firefox.exe, the
purpose being to delete anything after /.exe, but that was all clear.

Grateful for any suggestions.

MIkeS

Leonidas Jones

MikeS wrote:
> I upgraded to above version. Previous V. had been working fine.
> It appears that both Firefox and Firefox (safe mode) were downloaded
> as both titles appear on the applications menu.
>
> Problem: In the browser page, when an URL address (any address) is
> entered, an error message comes up " (the URL address) could not be
> found..."
>
> THis message comes up in both both browser pages, firefox & firefox
> (safe mode).
> I tried a right click on desktop Firefox, selected Properties to see
> if there was anything in the command line after firefox.exe, the
> purpose being to delete anything after /.exe, but that was all clear.
>
> Grateful for any suggestions.
>
> MIkeS

Firefox (Safe mode) is simply Firefox with any extensions or 3rrd partty
themes disabled. its a troubleshooting device, not a separate application.

As to your problem. will Firefox connect to any web sites at all,
perhaps with multiple tries?

If not, I suspect a firewall problem. What kind of firewall are you running?

Lee

MikeS wrote:
> Problem: In the browser page, when an URL address (any address) is
> entered, an error message comes up " (the URL address) could not be
> found..."

Drop into a DOS command prompt and try to ping the site by name.

It sounds like your ISP's DNS is down.