Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Second instance of FF takes forever to load

Second instance of FF takes forever to load

Al. C

Running Meips (Deb. unstable) 3.3 with FF 1.0.1-2. and KDE 3.3.2.

If I have FF open and then they to open another instance (say in desktop
'4') I DO get the instance but I also get a 'bouncing icon' that takes
about 30 seconds before it goes away. Whats with that? Very annoying.

Al

Travis Evans

On 03/26/2005 10:05 AM, Al. C wrote:
> Running Meips (Deb. unstable) 3.3 with FF 1.0.1-2. and KDE 3.3.2.
>
> If I have FF open and then they to open another instance (say in desktop
> '4') I DO get the instance but I also get a 'bouncing icon' that takes
> about 30 seconds before it goes away. Whats with that? Very annoying.

I don't know of any way to fix it, but tweaking the Launch Feedback
settings (Control Panel > Appearance & Themes > Launch Feedback) might
make it less annoying:

1. Reduce the time that the icon shows up (Startup Indication Timeout)

2. Turn off the animation (set "busy cursor" to "Passive Busy Cursor")

3. Disable Launch Feedback for the desktop icon, taskbar button, or menu
item that you use to start Firefox (or start a second instance of it)
(somewhere in the Properties for the icon/button/menu item)

--
Travis
[The email address on this post is valid, but may change from time to

Travis Evans

On 03/26/2005 10:05 AM, Al. C wrote:
> Running Meips (Deb. unstable) 3.3 with FF 1.0.1-2. and KDE 3.3.2.
>
> If I have FF open and then they to open another instance (say in desktop
> '4') I DO get the instance but I also get a 'bouncing icon' that takes
> about 30 seconds before it goes away. Whats with that? Very annoying.

Oops--rereading your post gives me the impression that the real problem
is how long FF takes to start rather than the bouncing icon.

Unfortunately, I don't have any idea why it takes so much longer than
pressing Ctrl+N for a new window, since the script should do the same thing.