Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Suggested Microsoft way

Suggested Microsoft way

Mario Novado

Lately I came to know that Microsoft is suggesting to go with underscore for
naming convention for variables (Am I right?).

Ex: Dim strMyName as String ---> Dim str_MyName as String

Any one has any comments. Am I talking some thing does not makes sense. If
you have any URL which tells the Microsoft suggested way on coding standard
please share with me.

Thank you very much.

Mario

jasonkester

Haven't heard that. Last I heard, MS was recommending against that
sort of overaggressive hungarian notation in favor of camelCasing and
reliance on Intellisense to remind you of types. They've also dropped
the m_'s for members in favor of a simple underscore:

Dim myName as String

Dim _myPrivateMemberVariable as Int

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

WJ

"Mario Novado" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lately I came to know that Microsoft is suggesting to go with underscore
> for
> naming convention for variables (Am I right?).

For readability, an "applicant_last_name" is easier to recognize than an
"ApplicantLastName".

It is also easier for disabled persons to read (Section 508 compliance). I
could be wrong on this part (s-50.

John

Flip

I found these interesting links.

Naming conventions from MSDN
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...guidelines.asp

Designing .NET class libraries: Naming Conventions (they talk about banning
the use of Hungarian notation)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframewo...ngconventions/

MSDN link about capitalization
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tionstyles.asp

This one has a chat with Brad Abrams (sp).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/chats/tran...en_012605.aspx

From what I've read, they are trying to de-emphasize the hungarian notation
for publicly exposed members in favour of Pascal naming (upper case and no
underscores).