Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > code sample wanted: creating and populating a collection of objects from a datasource?

code sample wanted: creating and populating a collection of objects from a datasource?

Trying to learn about manipulating collections of objects, and populating
these objects dynamically from datasources. Could someone post a code sample
that shows the following:

Instantiating a collection object -- say, a dictionary.
Populating that collection object with custom objects, say, Person. What I
really want to see is how to populate the properties of those Person objects
from a datasource: instantiate one Person, fill Person.FirstName,
Person.LastName, Person.ID with data, iterate to the next item in the
datasource, instantiate another person, fill Person.FirstName,
Person.LastName...

Any help out there?

Thanks very much.

-KF

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

This BarGraph web control contains a collection of Bar objects.
Full source code is included:
http://www.SteveOrr.net/articles/BarGraphs.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Trying to learn about manipulating collections of objects, and populating
> these objects dynamically from datasources. Could someone post a code
> sample that shows the following:
>
> Instantiating a collection object -- say, a dictionary.
> Populating that collection object with custom objects, say, Person. What I
> really want to see is how to populate the properties of those Person
> objects from a datasource: instantiate one Person, fill Person.FirstName,
> Person.LastName, Person.ID with data, iterate to the next item in the
> datasource, instantiate another person, fill Person.FirstName,
> Person.LastName...
>
> Any help out there?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> -KF

Thank you very much, Steve, that's quite helpful.

Does anyone have additional examples, or a C# example that I could look at?

Thanks
-KF

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This BarGraph web control contains a collection of Bar objects.
> Full source code is included:
> http://www.SteveOrr.net/articles/BarGraphs.aspx
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> http://SteveOrr.net
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Trying to learn about manipulating collections of objects, and populating
>> these objects dynamically from datasources. Could someone post a code
>> sample that shows the following:
>>
>> Instantiating a collection object -- say, a dictionary.
>> Populating that collection object with custom objects, say, Person. What
>> I really want to see is how to populate the properties of those Person
>> objects from a datasource: instantiate one Person, fill Person.FirstName,
>> Person.LastName, Person.ID with data, iterate to the next item in the
>> datasource, instantiate another person, fill Person.FirstName,
>> Person.LastName...
>>
>> Any help out there?
>>
>> Thanks very much.
>>
>> -KF

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi KF,

Since the question you mentioned is a very specific one, instead of
searching some separate articles, I've made a simple test page which build
a dummy datatable and populate a "person" class's instance collection from
the datatable and bind it to a datagrid for displaying, below is the
completet code. Also, I think you can try have a look in the www. asp.net
or codeproject site to see whether there are any good examples or articles
there.

Hope helps,

========aspx============
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<title>objectPopulate</title>
</HEAD>
<aspataGrid id="DataGrid1" runat="server"></aspataGrid>
</form>
</HTML>

========code behind============
namespace DemoWebApp
{
public class objectPopulate : System.Web.UI.Page
{
protected System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid DataGrid1;

{
if(!IsPostBack)
{
DataGrid1.DataSource = GetPersons();
DataGrid1.DataBind();
}
}

private DataTable GetDataSource()
{
DataTable dt = new DataTable();

dt.Columns.Add("id",typeof(long));
dt.Columns.Add("name",typeof(string));
dt.Columns.Add("age",typeof(int));
dt.Columns.Add("email",typeof(string));

for(int i=0;i<10;i++)
{
DataRow dr = dt.NewRow();
dr[0] = i+1;
dr[1] = "Name_" + dr[0];
dr[2] = 25 + i;
dr[3] = dr[1] + "@test.org";

dt.Rows.Add(dr);
}

return dt;
}

private Person[] GetPersons()
{
DataTable dt = GetDataSource();

Person[] persons = new Person[dt.Rows.Count];

for(int i=0;i<persons.Length;i++)
{
Person person = new Person();
person.Id = (long)dt.Rows[i][0];
person.Name = (string)dt.Rows[i][1];
person.Age = (int)dt.Rows[i][2];
person.Email = (string)dt.Rows[i][3];

persons[i] = person;
}

return persons;
}

{
InitializeComponent();
base.OnInit(e);
}

private void InitializeComponent()
{

}
#endregion
}

public class Person
{
long _id;
string _name;
int _age;
string _email;

public long Id
{
get
{
return _id;
}
set
{
_id = value;
}
}

public string Name
{
get
{
return _name;
}
set
{
_name = value;
}
}

public int Age
{
get
{
return _age;
}
set
{
_age = value;
}
}

public string Email
{
get
{
return _email;
}
set
{
_email = value;
}
}

public Person():this(0,"",20,"")
{
}

public Person(long id, string name, int age, string email)
{
_id = id;
_name = name;
_age = age;
_email = email;
}
}
}

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Re: code sample wanted: creating and populating a collection of
objects from a datasource?
| Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:17:19 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thank you very much, Steve, that's quite helpful.
|
| Does anyone have additional examples, or a C# example that I could look
at?

| Thanks
| -KF
|

| "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > This BarGraph web control contains a collection of Bar objects.
| > Full source code is included:
| > http://www.SteveOrr.net/articles/BarGraphs.aspx
| >
| > --
| > I hope this helps,
| > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
| > http://SteveOrr.net
| >

| > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| >> Trying to learn about manipulating collections of objects, and
populating
| >> these objects dynamically from datasources. Could someone post a code
| >> sample that shows the following:
| >>
| >> Instantiating a collection object -- say, a dictionary.
| >> Populating that collection object with custom objects, say, Person.
What
| >> I really want to see is how to populate the properties of those Person
| >> objects from a datasource: instantiate one Person, fill
Person.FirstName,
| >> Person.LastName, Person.ID with data, iterate to the next item in the
| >> datasource, instantiate another person, fill Person.FirstName,
| >> Person.LastName...
| >>
| >> Any help out there?
| >>
| >> Thanks very much.
| >>
| >> -KF

Super. Awesome. This is great. Thank you so much, Steven.

Examples of this sort are surprisingly scarce: most online examples seem
work directly against the data objects rather than dyamically populating
custom objects as you've done here.

Thanks again.
-KF

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> }
> }
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)
> --------------------
> | From: <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | Subject: Re: code sample wanted: creating and populating a collection of
> objects from a datasource?
> | Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:17:19 -0700
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
> |
> | Thank you very much, Steve, that's quite helpful.
> |
> | Does anyone have additional examples, or a C# example that I could look
> at?
> |
> | Thanks
> | -KF
> |

> | "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | > This BarGraph web control contains a collection of Bar objects.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome KF,

Glad that it is of assistance.

> [...]

| > {
| > return _age;
| > }
| > set
| > {
| > _age = value;
| > }
| > }
| >
| > public string Email
| > {
| > get
| > {
| > return _email;
| > }
| > set
| > {
| > _email = value;
| > }
| > }
| >

| > public Person():this(0,"",20,"")
| > {
| > }
| >
| > public Person(long id, string name, int age, string email)

| > |
| > | Thank you very much, Steve, that's quite helpful.
| > |
| > | Does anyone have additional examples, or a C# example that I could
look
| > at?
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > | -KF
| > |
| > |
| > | "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > | news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| > populating

| > What
| > Person