Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > custom web user control properties not acessable through the designer?

custom web user control properties not acessable through the designer?

PJ6

I'm sure it's some attribute I have to set but I can't find it. I'd like to
be able to have my properties in my custom web user controls show up in the
web forms designer. Is that possible?

Paul

Karl Seguin

I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but user controls do not have
this type of design time support. In 1.x, this is functionality limited to
custom server controls. Thankfully 2.0 will solve this.

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
come!)

"PJ6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sure it's some attribute I have to set but I can't find it. I'd like
> to be able to have my properties in my custom web user controls show up in
> the web forms designer. Is that possible?
>
> Paul

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Yes, there are a few attributes you can set on the properties to get them to
show up in the desired place in the properties window.
I've described the details here:
http://SteveOrr.net/articles/InheritAndExtend.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"PJ6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm sure it's some attribute I have to set but I can't find it. I'd like
> to be able to have my properties in my custom web user controls show up in
> the web forms designer. Is that possible?
>
> Paul

PJ6

Thank you. If I follow your article right it looks like custom web controls
must be compiled separately from the main project and added to the toolbox
from a DLL for the properties to show up properly at design time.

Also - maybe this is a dumb question - is there any way to add a click event
to a control that doesn't come with one, such as your image rollover
control?

Thanks for your help,
Paul

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, there are a few attributes you can set on the properties to get them
> to show up in the desired place in the properties window.
> I've described the details here:
> http://SteveOrr.net/articles/InheritAndExtend.aspx
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> http://SteveOrr.net
>

> "PJ6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm sure it's some attribute I have to set but I can't find it. I'd like
>> to be able to have my properties in my custom web user controls show up
>> in the web forms designer. Is that possible?
>>
>> Paul

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Yes, custom controls must be compiled into a separate DLL, thereby
increasing their reusability.

I suggest you use the ImageButtonRollover control if you would like a click
event.
For other controls you may have to add your own via client side script.

Here's more info:
http://SteveOrr.net/articles/ClientSideSuite.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"PJ6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you. If I follow your article right it looks like custom web
> controls must be compiled separately from the main project and added to
> the toolbox from a DLL for the properties to show up properly at design
> time.
>
> Also - maybe this is a dumb question - is there any way to add a click
> event to a control that doesn't come with one, such as your image rollover
> control?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Paul
>
> "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, there are a few attributes you can set on the properties to get them
>> to show up in the desired place in the properties window.
>> I've described the details here:
>> http://SteveOrr.net/articles/InheritAndExtend.aspx
>>
>> --
>> I hope this helps,
>> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
>> http://SteveOrr.net
>>

>> "PJ6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I'm sure it's some attribute I have to set but I can't find it. I'd like
>>> to be able to have my properties in my custom web user controls show up
>>> in the web forms designer. Is that possible?
>>>
>>> Paul

PJ6

Steve, you rock. Those controls are going to save me time both learning and
developing.

Thanks,
Paul

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, custom controls must be compiled into a separate DLL, thereby
> increasing their reusability.
>
> I suggest you use the ImageButtonRollover control if you would like a
> click event.
> For other controls you may have to add your own via client side script.
>
> Here's more info:
> http://SteveOrr.net/articles/ClientSideSuite.aspx
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> http://SteveOrr.net

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

I'm glad I was able to help.
Here's more info you may find useful:
http://SteveOrr.net/faq/UserCustom.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"PJ6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23ut6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steve, you rock. Those controls are going to save me time both learning
> and developing.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, custom controls must be compiled into a separate DLL, thereby
>> increasing their reusability.
>>
>> I suggest you use the ImageButtonRollover control if you would like a
>> click event.
>> For other controls you may have to add your own via client side script.
>>
>> Here's more info:
>> http://SteveOrr.net/articles/ClientSideSuite.aspx
>>
>> --
>> I hope this helps,
>> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
>> http://SteveOrr.net

PJ6

Question about your ConfirmButton control -

When the user refreshes the web page after the control has been used, a
message pops up, "the page cannot de refershed without resending...", and
then no matter what you select (retry or cancel), the ConfirmButton1_Click
event fires again. In most cases I would think this behavior wouldn't be
acceptable for production use. Is there a way to fix it so that doesn't
happen?

Paul

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm glad I was able to help.
> Here's more info you may find useful:
> http://SteveOrr.net/faq/UserCustom.aspx

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You are in the same position with any kind of button control
The real issue is that a post is done when the user clicks a button, and to
refresh that page the post must happen again.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"PJ6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Question about your ConfirmButton control -
>
> When the user refreshes the web page after the control has been used, a
> message pops up, "the page cannot de refershed without resending...", and
> then no matter what you select (retry or cancel), the ConfirmButton1_Click
> event fires again. In most cases I would think this behavior wouldn't be
> acceptable for production use. Is there a way to fix it so that doesn't
> happen?
>
> Paul
>
> "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm glad I was able to help.
>> Here's more info you may find useful:
>> http://SteveOrr.net/faq/UserCustom.aspx

PJ6

Hmmm. So is it possible to differentiate if the event is firing from a
refresh and not a click?

I noticed that with multiple controls, only the last user event is fired
again on refresh. I tried to "fool" the page by manually raising the event
of another, dummy control, but that didn't work. Is there a way to, after a
control event fires, redirect where the post will happen on a page refresh
without any special user action?

Thanks for all your help,
Paul

news:uY9%(E-Mail Removed)...