Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > MailMessage question

MailMessage question

=?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?=

Hi MSDN Team!

I have a doubt about the "MailMessage" class in Framework .NET 1.1.
My SMTP server works in a local network that no have access to the internet
for security reasons. And in my network we have an application that send
emails to other department inside the company using us SMTP server that
requires authentication...

I'd like to know why when I use the "MailMessage" Class with "SMTPServer"
class to authenticate in my SMTP Server I have to send an URL as
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"; to authenticate. Is it the
unique mode to send emails in my situation? What's the other mode to send
emails without pass by Microsoft's URL?

Thanks,

--
MSG Servicos de Informatica
Rio de Janeiro / Brazil

Lucas Tam

=?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'd like to know why when I use the "MailMessage" Class with
> "SMTPServer"
> class to authenticate in my SMTP Server I have to send an URL as
> "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"; to authenticate. Is
> it the unique mode to send emails in my situation? What's the other
> mode to send emails without pass by Microsoft's URL?

You'll need to be using .NET 1.1 to use these fields.

With the System.Web.Mail classes, you'll have to pass in these fields,
since authentication is not supported out of the box.

You might want to take a look at the field:
http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/con...tion/sendusing

0 is basic. 1 is NTML. 2 is SMTP authentication.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for Lucas's inputs,

Hi Friend,

For the "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/ " , it's not a
normal URL, it's a configuration URI(maybe we should say it's a key for
configuring certain setting of the CDO object):

#http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/ Namespace
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en..._configuration.
asp?frame=true

In fact, the System.Web.Mail components in .net framework is using the CDO
object underlying. And the
http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/ contains a collection of
schema URIs( keys) to identify a set of settings of the CDO component , we
can configure them thorugh these URIs at runtime.

BTW, here is a FAQ site of System.Web.Mail which contains may common
question on the web mail components:

http://www.systemwebmail.com/

Hope also helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| Subject: Re: MailMessage question
| From: Lucas Tam <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:11:22 GMT
|
| =?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?=
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
| news:(E-Mail Removed):
|
| > I'd like to know why when I use the "MailMessage" Class with
| > "SMTPServer"
| > class to authenticate in my SMTP Server I have to send an URL as
| > "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"; to authenticate. Is
| > it the unique mode to send emails in my situation? What's the other
| > mode to send emails without pass by Microsoft's URL?
|
| You'll need to be using .NET 1.1 to use these fields.
|
| With the System.Web.Mail classes, you'll have to pass in these fields,
| since authentication is not supported out of the box.
|
| You might want to take a look at the field:
| http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/con...tion/sendusing
|
| 0 is basic. 1 is NTML. 2 is SMTP authentication.
|
| --
| Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))
| Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
| http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/

=?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?=

And if I do not have internet connection in my intranet where the
application is running? How would I reach
"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/" ?

WHAT CAN I DO IN THIS SITUATION????

--

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Thanks for Lucas's inputs,
>
> Hi Friend,
>
> For the "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/ " , it's not a
> normal URL, it's a configuration URI(maybe we should say it's a key for
> configuring certain setting of the CDO object):
>
> #http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/ Namespace
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en..._configuration.
> asp?frame=true
>
> In fact, the System.Web.Mail components in .net framework is using the CDO
> object underlying. And the
> http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/ contains a collection of
> schema URIs( keys) to identify a set of settings of the CDO component , we
> can configure them thorugh these URIs at runtime.
>
> BTW, here is a FAQ site of System.Web.Mail which contains may common
> question on the web mail components:
>
> http://www.systemwebmail.com/
>
> Hope also helps. Thanks,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)
>

> --------------------
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
> | Subject: Re: MailMessage question
> | From: Lucas Tam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:11:22 GMT
> |
> | =?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?=
> | <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> | news:(E-Mail Removed):
> |
> | > I'd like to know why when I use the "MailMessage" Class with
> | > "SMTPServer"
> | > class to authenticate in my SMTP Server I have to send an URL as
> | > "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"; to authenticate. Is
> | > it the unique mode to send emails in my situation? What's the other
> | > mode to send emails without pass by Microsoft's URL?
> |
> | You'll need to be using .NET 1.1 to use these fields.
> |
> | With the System.Web.Mail classes, you'll have to pass in these fields,
> | since authentication is not supported out of the box.
> |
> | You might want to take a look at the field:
> | http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/con...tion/sendusing
> |
> | 0 is basic. 1 is NTML. 2 is SMTP authentication.
> |
> | --
> | Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))
> | Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
> | http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/

Lucas Tam

=?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> And if I do not have internet connection in my intranet where the
> application is running? How would I reach
> "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/" ?

It's an (xml) schema... not an actual URL.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Yes, "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/" is just a URI (not
necessarily a valid URL on the internet). It is just the same as other keys
such as:

"urn:microsoft-com:mail", "key_microsoft_mail" .....

Using such schema keys dosn't require the box be connected to the internet,
these buildin schema key will be recognized by the certain processing
application. For example, for the

"http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"

it'll be recoginzed by the CDO components no matter the components is
running on a isolated box or connected to internet.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| Subject: Re: MailMessage question
| From: Lucas Tam <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:06:16 GMT
|
| =?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?=
<(E-Mail Removed)>
| wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
|
| > And if I do not have internet connection in my intranet where the
| > application is running? How would I reach
| > "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/" ?
|
| It's an (xml) schema... not an actual URL.
|
| --
| Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))
| Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
| http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/

=?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?=

Thanks for the answer. This solve my question.

--

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Yes, "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/" is just a URI (not
> necessarily a valid URL on the internet). It is just the same as other keys
> such as:
>
> "urn:microsoft-com:mail", "key_microsoft_mail" .....
>
> Using such schema keys dosn't require the box be connected to the internet,
> these buildin schema key will be recognized by the certain processing
> application. For example, for the
>
> "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"
>
> it'll be recoginzed by the CDO components no matter the components is
> running on a isolated box or connected to internet.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)
>

> --------------------
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
> | Subject: Re: MailMessage question
> | From: Lucas Tam <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:06:16 GMT
> |
> | =?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?=
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> |
> | > And if I do not have internet connection in my intranet where the
> | > application is running? How would I reach
> | > "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/" ?
> |
> | It's an (xml) schema... not an actual URL.
> |
> | --
> | Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))
> | Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
> | http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

You're welcome

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?=
<(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Re: MailMessage question
| Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:50:10 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks for the answer. This solve my question.
|

| --
| MSG Servicos de Informatica
| Rio de Janeiro / Brazil
|

| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Yes, "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/" is just a URI
(not
| > necessarily a valid URL on the internet). It is just the same as other
keys
| > such as:
| >
| > "urn:microsoft-com:mail", "key_microsoft_mail" .....
| >
| > Using such schema keys dosn't require the box be connected to the
internet,
| > these buildin schema key will be recognized by the certain processing
| > application. For example, for the
| >
| > "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"
| >
| > it'll be recoginzed by the CDO components no matter the components is
| > running on a isolated box or connected to internet.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > | Subject: Re: MailMessage question
| > | From: Lucas Tam <(E-Mail Removed)>
#gFwhH/LPM9"eq<Dzb3~[P'7%dS98vHkcFbX;SjezglosS.OP?:tzhHT7o=G03o0%St#;xT bMCCP
| > 'rF/EnVDK-y*a(Qh3J)+Fn]"/&@D(dOG=ITH!\afBA$O}D";gSvoEpfd
| > | Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:06:16 GMT
TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfee d00.sul.t-online.de!t-onli

ne.de!newshub.sdsu.edu!newsfeed.news2me.com!newsfe ed2.easynews.com!easynews.
| > com!easynews!easynews-local!fe02.news.easynews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | =?Utf-8?B?TVNHIFNlcnZpY29zIGRlIEluZm9ybWF0aWNh?=
| > <(E-Mail Removed)>
| > | wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
| > |
| > |
| > | It's an (xml) schema... not an actual URL.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))
| > | Please delete "REMOVE" from the e-mail address when replying.
| > | http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/
| > |

MailMessage problem - Could not access 'CDO.Message' object. Anthony Fine ASP .Net 3 02-12-2004 11:35 PM
Re: MailMessage Max Body Length Ray Dixon [MVP] ASP .Net 1 08-25-2003 08:03 PM
MailMessage Class lostman ASP .Net 4 08-12-2003 02:17 PM
can i use and *.html file as the body in mailmessage class in ASP.net C# khawar ASP .Net 1 07-31-2003 06:45 AM
ASP.NET MailMessage in XP fails Frank ASP .Net 6 07-31-2003 05:37 AM

Advertisments