Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Where to set uiCulture, culture ...

Where to set uiCulture, culture ...

Henke

Hi
I'm building an globalized application (english, swedish and russian
languages) and have a few questions:
1. In order to see the russian characters correct I have to set the
requestEncoding and responseEncoding to windows-1251. Is this correct?

2. Now I set the requestEncoding and responseEncoding in the web.config
file, but since I only have one web.config it only works for either english
and swedish (utf-8 encoding) or just russian (windows-1251 encoding). So I
guess I'm doing something wrong here, but what?

3. I could set the culture an uiCulture to the Thread when I click each
language link, which looks quite nice, but is this the way to do it?

I really would appreciate some help...
/Henke

Arjen

Hi,

Answer 1:
Yes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1251

Answer 2:
Correct, you can add this inside the web.config or in each page.
Chech this:
http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspne...spx#ielanguage

Answer 3:
You can do this inside the global.asax file.
Inside the method Application_BeginRequest.
Check autoculture:
http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspne...px#autoculture

Hope this helps,
Arjen

"Henke" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I'm building an globalized application (english, swedish and russian
> languages) and have a few questions:
> 1. In order to see the russian characters correct I have to set the
> requestEncoding and responseEncoding to windows-1251. Is this correct?
>
> 2. Now I set the requestEncoding and responseEncoding in the web.config
> file, but since I only have one web.config it only works for either
> english and swedish (utf-8 encoding) or just russian (windows-1251
> encoding). So I guess I'm doing something wrong here, but what?
>
> 3. I could set the culture an uiCulture to the Thread when I click each
> language link, which looks quite nice, but is this the way to do it?
>
> I really would appreciate some help...
> /Henke

Henke

Thanks for your answers. Though I still have some problems.
1. Should I use any specific font?

2. When I try to run my application in the russian language I have to set
the requestEncoding, responseEncoding and fileEncoding in the web.config
file, to have the text displayed correct. Since I have different pages for
every language I would like to set this properties on a page level. In ASP
..NET 1.1 only responeseEncoding could be set in the Page directive. How
should this be done in the best way?

/Henke

"Arjen" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:dd9tum$662$(E-Mail Removed)1.ov.home.nl...
> Hi,
>
> Answer 1:
> Yes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1251
>
> Answer 2:
> Correct, you can add this inside the web.config or in each page.
> Chech this:
> http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspne...spx#ielanguage
>
> Answer 3:
> You can do this inside the global.asax file.
> Inside the method Application_BeginRequest.
> Check autoculture:
> http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspne...px#autoculture
>
> Hope this helps,
> Arjen
>

> "Henke" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> I'm building an globalized application (english, swedish and russian
>> languages) and have a few questions:
>> 1. In order to see the russian characters correct I have to set the
>> requestEncoding and responseEncoding to windows-1251. Is this correct?
>>
>> 2. Now I set the requestEncoding and responseEncoding in the web.config
>> file, but since I only have one web.config it only works for either
>> english and swedish (utf-8 encoding) or just russian (windows-1251
>> encoding). So I guess I'm doing something wrong here, but what?
>>
>> 3. I could set the culture an uiCulture to the Thread when I click each
>> language link, which looks quite nice, but is this the way to do it?
>>
>> I really would appreciate some help...
>> /Henke

Arjen

I don't know about the font.

You can also use resource files.
Each resource file will be a language file.
Then you only need one webpage.
Inside the global.asax file you set the language, culture and encoding type.
The webpage automaticly reads the correct resource file.

Hope this helps,
Arjen

"Henke" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your answers. Though I still have some problems.
> 1. Should I use any specific font?
>
> 2. When I try to run my application in the russian language I have to set
> the requestEncoding, responseEncoding and fileEncoding in the web.config
> file, to have the text displayed correct. Since I have different pages for
> every language I would like to set this properties on a page level. In ASP
> .NET 1.1 only responeseEncoding could be set in the Page directive. How
> should this be done in the best way?
>
> /Henke
>
> "Arjen" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:dd9tum$662$(E-Mail Removed)1.ov.home.nl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Answer 1:
>> Yes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1251
>>
>> Answer 2:
>> Correct, you can add this inside the web.config or in each page.
>> Chech this:
>> http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspne...spx#ielanguage
>>
>> Answer 3:
>> You can do this inside the global.asax file.
>> Inside the method Application_BeginRequest.
>> Check autoculture:
>> http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspne...px#autoculture
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Arjen
>>

>> "Henke" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> I'm building an globalized application (english, swedish and russian
>>> languages) and have a few questions:
>>> 1. In order to see the russian characters correct I have to set the
>>> requestEncoding and responseEncoding to windows-1251. Is this correct?
>>>
>>> 2. Now I set the requestEncoding and responseEncoding in the web.config
>>> file, but since I only have one web.config it only works for either
>>> english and swedish (utf-8 encoding) or just russian (windows-1251
>>> encoding). So I guess I'm doing something wrong here, but what?
>>>
>>> 3. I could set the culture an uiCulture to the Thread when I click each
>>> language link, which looks quite nice, but is this the way to do it?
>>>
>>> I really would appreciate some help...
>>> /Henke

Henke

Thanks Arjen, for your answers.
I did it in an other way. Every russian page I save in signed unicode
(UTF- format, both resx-files and cs-files. In that way all my charcters
were saved in a correct way, and I didn't had to change the requestEncoding
and responseEncoding in the web-config-file.

/Henke

"Henke" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your answers. Though I still have some problems.
> 1. Should I use any specific font?
>
> 2. When I try to run my application in the russian language I have to set
> the requestEncoding, responseEncoding and fileEncoding in the web.config
> file, to have the text displayed correct. Since I have different pages for
> every language I would like to set this properties on a page level. In ASP
> .NET 1.1 only responeseEncoding could be set in the Page directive. How
> should this be done in the best way?
>
> /Henke
>
> "Arjen" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:dd9tum$662$(E-Mail Removed)1.ov.home.nl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Answer 1:
>> Yes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1251
>>
>> Answer 2:
>> Correct, you can add this inside the web.config or in each page.
>> Chech this:
>> http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspne...spx#ielanguage
>>
>> Answer 3:
>> You can do this inside the global.asax file.
>> Inside the method Application_BeginRequest.
>> Check autoculture:
>> http://beta.asp.net/QUICKSTART/aspne...px#autoculture
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Arjen
>>

>> "Henke" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> I'm building an globalized application (english, swedish and russian
>>> languages) and have a few questions:
>>> 1. In order to see the russian characters correct I have to set the
>>> requestEncoding and responseEncoding to windows-1251. Is this correct?
>>>
>>> 2. Now I set the requestEncoding and responseEncoding in the web.config
>>> file, but since I only have one web.config it only works for either
>>> english and swedish (utf-8 encoding) or just russian (windows-1251
>>> encoding). So I guess I'm doing something wrong here, but what?
>>>
>>> 3. I could set the culture an uiCulture to the Thread when I click each
>>> language link, which looks quite nice, but is this the way to do it?
>>>
>>> I really would appreciate some help...
>>> /Henke

shailpatel83 shailpatel83 is offline
Junior Member

UICulture value determines what resource file ASP.NET needs to load. That drives all the content of the website.

Culture value determines the results of culture-dependent functions, such as the date, number, and currency formatting, and so on.

It is NOT necessary that you need to have both values are same. You can set different values as per your application needs. Good example is that Web Auction web site. You won’t to display english text for english speaking country but you might want to display spanish text for spanish speaking country. This setting is UICulture. But there is one thing that would stay constant “currency” for both english or spanish speaking country. This setting is Culture.

For more details here is link that might help you http: patelshailesh.com/index.php/culture-and-uiculture-in-asp-net

[MissingManifestResourceException: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture. Rob Dob ASP .Net Web Controls 0 11-27-2005 03:57 PM
[MissingManifestResourceException: Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture. Rob Dob ASP .Net 0 11-27-2005 03:57 PM
Set culture for a DLL (class library) referenced from web application Ya Ya ASP .Net 1 11-21-2004 10:53 PM
Set Culture simon ASP .Net 1 10-19-2004 10:13 AM
Set Culture in Web.config Apogee ASP .Net 1 06-07-2004 04:55 PM

Advertisments