Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Lost Email on Thunderbird...please can you help?

Lost Email on Thunderbird...please can you help?

Brian Haworth

As a non-technical user, I'd be most grateful for any clear assistance with
my current - deeply upsetting problem

I am still running Windows 98. Sorry, but there we are.

I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird happily for three months.

Today, on opening MT, all of my folders were `empty' - All sent and received
mail `disappeared'! Jeez.

I've tried looking in my `profiles' but can't `see' any signs of mails being
stored anywhere. I seem to have two `default' profiles, one tagged .sbd.

I'm in deepest **** if I can't recover my mails.

Any really patient and urgent help would be truly most gratefully received

t.i.a.,

Brian

Roland

On 13-3-2005 20:09, Brian Haworth wrote:

> As a non-technical user, I'd be most grateful for any clear assistance with
> my current - deeply upsetting problem
>
> I am still running Windows 98. Sorry, but there we are.
>
> I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird happily for three months.
>
> Today, on opening MT, all of my folders were `empty' - All sent and received
> mail `disappeared'! Jeez.
>
> I've tried looking in my `profiles' but can't `see' any signs of mails being
> stored anywhere. I seem to have two `default' profiles, one tagged .sbd.
>
> I'm in deepest **** if I can't recover my mails.
>
> Any really patient and urgent help would be truly most gratefully received
>
> t.i.a.,
>
> Brian

Does your POP3 account (or IMAP account) still appear in the left pane
of Thunderbird?

Check if in the 'Mail' folder in your profile folder there still is a
subfolder that matches your POP3/IMAP account, e.g.
C:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxx.default\Mai l\pop3.yourISP.com\

In this account folder (in 'pop3.yourISP.com' in the example above), is
there still a file named 'Inbox' and is its size more than 0 KB?

Also make sure that you have selected menu
View -> Messages -> All
and
View -> Threads -> All

--
Regards,

Roland de Ruiter
___ ___
/__/ w_/ /__/
/ \ /_/ / \

Brian Haworth

Roland,

Thanks for your response. Will check as best I can tomorrow and post further
information. I may need to do this `step by very small step', but greatly
appreciate your kindness in trying to help me. Please could you keep an eye
on this thread? And thank you.

brian

"Roland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42349bff$0$43037$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl...
> On 13-3-2005 20:09, Brian Haworth wrote:
>
> > As a non-technical user, I'd be most grateful for any clear assistance

with
> > my current - deeply upsetting problem
> >
> > I am still running Windows 98. Sorry, but there we are.
> >
> > I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird happily for three months.
> >
> > Today, on opening MT, all of my folders were `empty' - All sent and

received
> > mail `disappeared'! Jeez.
> >
> > I've tried looking in my `profiles' but can't `see' any signs of mails

being
> > stored anywhere. I seem to have two `default' profiles, one tagged .sbd.
> >
> > I'm in deepest **** if I can't recover my mails.
> >
> > Any really patient and urgent help would be truly most gratefully

received

> > t.i.a.,
> >
> > Brian
> >

> Does your POP3 account (or IMAP account) still appear in the left pane
> of Thunderbird?
>
> Check if in the 'Mail' folder in your profile folder there still is a
> subfolder that matches your POP3/IMAP account, e.g.
> C:\WINDOWS\Application
> Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxx.default\Mai l\pop3.yourISP.com\
>
> In this account folder (in 'pop3.yourISP.com' in the example above), is
> there still a file named 'Inbox' and is its size more than 0 KB?
>

> Also make sure that you have selected menu
> View -> Messages -> All
> and
> View -> Threads -> All
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Roland de Ruiter
> ___ ___
> /__/ w_/ /__/
> / \ /_/ / \

lpb52 lpb52 is offline
Junior Member

I had this same or a similar problem.

> Does your POP3 account (or IMAP account) still appear in the left pane
of Thunderbird?

It did not -- I had to recreate it.

> Check if in the 'Mail' folder in your profile folder there still is a
subfolder that matches your POP3/IMAP account, e.g.
C:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxx.default\Mai l\pop3.yourISP.com\

This folder was there:

C:\WINDOWS\Application
Data\Mozilla\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxx.default\Mai l\

with the Inbox, Sent, other folders, all of them various KB indicating they still held the contents I can't see.

> Also make sure that you have selected menu
View -> Messages -> All
and
View -> Threads -> All

The latter is chosen, the former isn't appearing.

None of my customized email folders are showing in the left pane, nor are any contents.

I was prompted to reconfigure my email account yesterday, which is when this happened -- removed the old, prompted to create the new.

Any help would be appreciated, even some direction on manual edisting of the prefs.js file to locate the existing folders/email messages. Thanks.