Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > does anyone know how to connect to remote MSDE in visual studio.net?

does anyone know how to connect to remote MSDE in visual studio.net?

Jack

i keep getting error when i try to connect to remote MSDE server

Damien

Jack wrote:
> i keep getting error when i try to connect to remote MSDE server

You wouldn't want to give us a hint would you, like what actual error
message you're seeing perhaps?

By default, MSDE installs without any networking enabled. Did you pass
DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 to setup.exe when you installed?

Without any more info from you, that's the best I can do.

Damien

Jack

"You have entered an internet address or an IP address outside the local
domain. Connection to Internet addresses or to external domains are not
supported"

sorry.

No, i didn't pass disablenetworkprotocols=0 to setup.exe...i already setup
the MSDE instance. is it possbile to chang eit?

"Damien" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Jack wrote:
>> i keep getting error when i try to connect to remote MSDE server

> You wouldn't want to give us a hint would you, like what actual error
> message you're seeing perhaps?
>
> By default, MSDE installs without any networking enabled. Did you pass
> DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 to setup.exe when you installed?
>
> Without any more info from you, that's the best I can do.
>
> Damien

Damien

Jack wrote:
> "You have entered an internet address or an IP address outside the local
> domain. Connection to Internet addresses or to external domains are not
> supported"
>
> sorry.
>
> No, i didn't pass disablenetworkprotocols=0 to setup.exe...i already setup
> the MSDE instance. is it possbile to chang eit?

Well, as it happens, I have the sense of it the wrong way around (it
should be =1 not =0), but the point still stands - As to changing it on
an existing instance, I'm not sure (this is why I've crossposted to
microsoft.public.sqlserver.msde)

Once we have that side of things sorted, what are you using to connect
to it? Enterprise Manager, Query Analyser, ADO.NET?

HTH,

Damien