Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > WOW - New Feature...or am I the last to learn about it?

WOW - New Feature...or am I the last to learn about it?

mapmaker

I haven't seen anything here about a feature I just found in the
Firefox Bookmark Manager. (Ver 1.0.1)

I did a search in the Bookmark Manager, and then selected a bunch of
the results (9 to be precise). I right clicked on the selection and
clicked "Open in New Tab"...and they all opened into new tabs!

I apologise profusely if this is already widely known because I have
great respect for this knowledgable group, but I was so excited about
my discovery I had to share in case it was new.

I'm now wondering if I should spend ANY time arranging my bookmarks
any more?

Btw, my original intent was simply to see if I could save the
selection into a new "Bookmark of All Tabs". ...and no, I can't.

Perk

mapmaker wrote:
> I haven't seen anything here about a feature I just found in the
> Firefox Bookmark Manager. (Ver 1.0.1)
>
> I did a search in the Bookmark Manager, and then selected a bunch of
> the results (9 to be precise). I right clicked on the selection and
> clicked "Open in New Tab"...and they all opened into new tabs!
>
> I apologise profusely if this is already widely known because I have
> great respect for this knowledgable group, but I was so excited about
> my discovery I had to share in case it was new.
>
> I'm now wondering if I should spend ANY time arranging my bookmarks
> any more?
>
> Btw, my original intent was simply to see if I could save the
> selection into a new "Bookmark of All Tabs". ...and no, I can't.

To perhaps take it a bit further, after I saw your post I began to try
it out.
I found that just holding Ctrl and clicking on a bookmark opens it in a
new bookmark.

Like, from Dr Doolittle, "I've never seen anything like it in my life".

Perk (:>)

pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
(mapmaker) wrote back on 11 Mar 2005 21:05:37 -0800 in alt.fan.mozilla :
>I haven't seen anything here about a feature I just found in the
>Firefox Bookmark Manager. (Ver 1.0.1)
>
>I did a search in the Bookmark Manager, and then selected a bunch of
>the results (9 to be precise). I right clicked on the selection and
>clicked "Open in New Tab"...and they all opened into new tabs!
>
>I apologise profusely if this is already widely known because I have
>great respect for this knowledgable group, but I was so excited about
>my discovery I had to share in case it was new.
>
>I'm now wondering if I should spend ANY time arranging my bookmarks
>any more?

That's a personal decision. I find that with like a thousand
bookmarks, some which are to specific articles/pages, some are to the web
site, I need some organization. "Stuff to check in the morning, stuff to
check at night, where did the money go, who's on first, why buy a newspaper
- here are the comicstrips" and so forth.

--
pyotr filipivich
TV NEWS: Yesterday's newspaper read to the illiterate.

test1

mapmaker wrote:
> I haven't seen anything here about a feature I just found in the
> Firefox Bookmark Manager. (Ver 1.0.1)
>
> I did a search in the Bookmark Manager, and then selected a bunch of
> the results (9 to be precise). I right clicked on the selection and
> clicked "Open in New Tab"...and they all opened into new tabs!
>
> I apologise profusely if this is already widely known because I have
> great respect for this knowledgable group, but I was so excited about
> my discovery I had to share in case it was new.
>
> I'm now wondering if I should spend ANY time arranging my bookmarks
> any more?
>
> Btw, my original intent was simply to see if I could save the
> selection into a new "Bookmark of All Tabs". ...and no, I can't.

here's another cool feature I haven't seen mentioned

if you have a mouse with a wheel
in Bookmark Manager
click the wheel on a folder in the right-hand pane

each bookmark in that folder will open in its own tab

at least it does in XP...
can't say whether that works in other O/S

Jeff Evans

test1 wrote:
> mapmaker wrote:
>
>> I haven't seen anything here about a feature I just found in the
>> Firefox Bookmark Manager. (Ver 1.0.1)
>>
>> I did a search in the Bookmark Manager, and then selected a bunch of
>> the results (9 to be precise). I right clicked on the selection and
>> clicked "Open in New Tab"...and they all opened into new tabs!
>>
>> I apologise profusely if this is already widely known because I have
>> great respect for this knowledgable group, but I was so excited about
>> my discovery I had to share in case it was new.
>>
>> I'm now wondering if I should spend ANY time arranging my bookmarks
>> any more?
>>
>> Btw, my original intent was simply to see if I could save the
>> selection into a new "Bookmark of All Tabs". ...and no, I can't.

> here's another cool feature I haven't seen mentioned
>
> if you have a mouse with a wheel
> in Bookmark Manager
> click the wheel on a folder in the right-hand pane
>
> each bookmark in that folder will open in its own tab
>
> at least it does in XP...
> can't say whether that works in other O/S

That is consistent with middle clicking to open links in new tabs as
well. Is that really a new feature in 1.0.1?

Leonidas Jones

Jeff Evans wrote:
> test1 wrote:
>
>> mapmaker wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't seen anything here about a feature I just found in the
>>> Firefox Bookmark Manager. (Ver 1.0.1)
>>>
>>> I did a search in the Bookmark Manager, and then selected a bunch of
>>> the results (9 to be precise). I right clicked on the selection and
>>> clicked "Open in New Tab"...and they all opened into new tabs!
>>>
>>> I apologise profusely if this is already widely known because I have
>>> great respect for this knowledgable group, but I was so excited about
>>> my discovery I had to share in case it was new.
>>>
>>> I'm now wondering if I should spend ANY time arranging my bookmarks
>>> any more?
>>>
>>> Btw, my original intent was simply to see if I could save the
>>> selection into a new "Bookmark of All Tabs". ...and no, I can't.

>> here's another cool feature I haven't seen mentioned
>>
>> if you have a mouse with a wheel
>> in Bookmark Manager
>> click the wheel on a folder in the right-hand pane
>>
>> each bookmark in that folder will open in its own tab
>>
>> at least it does in XP...
>> can't say whether that works in other O/S

> That is consistent with middle clicking to open links in new tabs as
> well. Is that really a new feature in 1.0.1?

No, middle clicking has always opened new tabs, since the browser was
called Phoenix.

Lee

test1

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Jeff Evans wrote:
>
>> test1 wrote:

>>> here's another cool feature I haven't seen mentioned
>>>
>>> if you have a mouse with a wheel
>>> in Bookmark Manager
>>> click the wheel on a folder in the right-hand pane
>>>
>>> each bookmark in that folder will open in its own tab
>>>
>>> at least it does in XP...
>>> can't say whether that works in other O/S

>> That is consistent with middle clicking to open links in new tabs as
>> well. Is that really a new feature in 1.0.1?

> No, middle clicking has always opened new tabs, since the browser was
> called Phoenix.
>
> Lee

er...
well the point being that it's so obvious to long-time users
that it doesn't get mentioned

so can be missed by those switching from certain other browers...
and I still think it's cool, even if no-one else does

Leonidas Jones

test1 wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Jeff Evans wrote:

>>> That is consistent with middle clicking to open links in new tabs as
>>> well. Is that really a new feature in 1.0.1?

>> No, middle clicking has always opened new tabs, since the browser was
>> called Phoenix.
>>
>> Lee

> er...
> well the point being that it's so obvious to long-time users
> that it doesn't get mentioned
>
> so can be missed by those switching from certain other browers...
> and I still think it's cool, even if no-one else does

It is cool, I was just answering the question.

Lee

OT: wow, just wow Neil MCSE 13 08-20-2005 10:03 AM
OT: Wow... just wow. FrisbeeŽ MCSE 35 07-05-2005 04:05 PM
newbie question: should I learn TKinter or skip it and learn more advanced toolkit? Porky Pig Jr Python 3 05-12-2004 08:58 AM
wow, just.. wow smiley Computer Support 7 01-23-2004 03:17 AM

Advertisments