Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla development to cease

Mozilla development to cease

William W. Plummer

Xanophile wrote:
> William W. Plummer wrote:
>
>> Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a
>> pointer to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
>>
>> Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
>> What about the various plugins and extensions?

> Personally, I can't believe Mozilla is give a big "**** you" to the
> people who built it. If it weren't for people like me, who have used
> the Mozilla suite since it began, FireFox wouldn't exist today.
>
> And I have no plans on using FireFox. I'll use IE before I use that
> pile of crap. It's the equivilent of MSN Explorer. Built for brain
> dead morons.
>
> All I have to say is **** you too, Mozilla.

That's harsh, not to mention rude.
It comes down to beggars can't be choosers. If you built Mozilla, why
don't you keep it going for us?

Xanophile

William W. Plummer wrote:
> Xanophile wrote:
>
>> William W. Plummer wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a
>>> pointer to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
>>>
>>> Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar
>>> work? What about the various plugins and extensions?

>> Personally, I can't believe Mozilla is give a big "**** you" to the
>> people who built it. If it weren't for people like me, who have used
>> the Mozilla suite since it began, FireFox wouldn't exist today.
>>
>> And I have no plans on using FireFox. I'll use IE before I use that
>> pile of crap. It's the equivilent of MSN Explorer. Built for brain
>> dead morons.
>>
>> All I have to say is **** you too, Mozilla.

> That's harsh, not to mention rude.
> It comes down to beggars can't be choosers. If you built Mozilla, why
> don't you keep it going for us?

How is that harsh OR rude? It wasn't harsh or rude to discontinue the
suite like they did? Please. It's the truth. FF is cartoony, and
barely works. Unless you don't know any better, in which case it works
beautifully. FF has half the funtionality of the suite, is an immature
product that should be branded a beta and has a tendency to degrade in
performance to the point of being unuseable. This is what they want to
keep over a mature product that actually works? If it wasn't for the
suite, Firefox wouldn't exist. If it wasn't for the people who have
been developing the suite since the beginning, FF wouldn't exist. If it
wasn't for the number of people USING the suite there wouldn't have been
enough popularity to even come up with the IDEA for FF. They're
basically pulling their own life support plug. I don't expect the
mozilla foundation to be around in a year without the suite.

They pull ideas from it, slap it into firefox, brand it as something
'new,' beg for your money, advertize the hell out of it, all the while
hiding the program that really utilizes it. There isn't one new idea in
ff that hasn't been in the suite for at least a year. FF is so behind
the suite I feel like I'm back to using the .6 build of mozilla when I
use it. The bugs I see in FF have been worked out in Moz for the
longest time.

Downloading both the browser, then the email, is a bigger download than
the suite, uses more resources than the suite and has 1/4 the
funtionality. What kind of person thinks that's better? Lord have
mercy on stupid people. Extensions, extensions. Sure......go ahead and
download them. I already have 90% of them built into my BLOATED suite.
But extensions are better, right? Again......Lord, I beg that you
have mercy on the people of goodgerland, for they know not.

What a bunch of suckers.

charles

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:29:44 -0500, "William W. Plummer"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
>to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
>
>Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
> What about the various plugins and extensions?

I've used FF and TBird, still have them installed here. I use Mozilla
and will continue to until something better comes along, and it probably
won't be FF and TBird from what I can see now.

Xin Zhang

The developers don't have enough resource to maintain two products. As
firefox has a larger customer base, of course they will support firefox
if they need to give up one in order to save the other.

someone@someplace.com

I use Firefox almost exclusively now. Once and awhile i am forced to
use IE because a certain wbsite dont work in FF. I must totally agree
with you. A happy medium is exactky what is needed. I too hate all
those plugins in FF. FF should AT LEAST have all the functions and
controls that IE has, and have them built right into it.
At the same time, I installed Mozilla before FF. Mozilla was far too
bloated for my tastes. I most likely would have stuck with it, and
learned to ignore much of the bloat. However, Mozilla crashed more
often than almost any other piece of software I have ever used. Maybe
my computer is too slow, or my memory is lacking, since this is an old
computer. but Moz just did not work for me. FF seems pretty stable.
I have crashed it about 4 times since I started using it about 6
months ago. IE crashes more than that. But Moz crashed almost
everytime I used it, so it had to go.

What you said makes much sense. Offer three levels. Plain - few
features (like FF is now), Middle - many more of the common features,
and High - all the bloat every geek could ever want.
I already know I'd select the middle one.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:58:18 -0800, "Steven M. Payeur"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just wanted to say that I really don't like this. I started with
>Mozilla, and have tried FireFox quite a few times. Every time I do, I
>feel as if someone has put a straightjacket on me. So many of the
>features and preferences are removed that I feel I no longer have
>control of the browser. A thousand little add-ons have to be downloaded
>and installed just to get some of that control back. Is there possibly
>some middle-ground that can be achieved?
>
>Some friends and I always joke about the need for a checkbox in Windows
>that enables/disables bloatware. Since they're dumbing-down the Mozilla
>organization's offerings so much, why not give their users that option
>to have control in a much more user-friendly way? Isn't that what
>FireFox is all about: user friendliness? Does the browser have to be
>restricted to lowest-common-denomenator features to still appeal to the
>masses? An "allow me to control my browser" checkbox wouldn't force Mom
>and Grandma to click it, but it would allow reasonably knowledgeable
>users freedom.
>
>I guess I should get to programming instead of complaining up a storm?
>
>William W. Plummer wrote:
>> Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
>> to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
>>
>> Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
>> What about the various plugins and extensions?

Moz Champion

> I use Firefox almost exclusively now. Once and awhile i am forced to
> use IE because a certain wbsite dont work in FF. I must totally agree
> with you. A happy medium is exactky what is needed. I too hate all
> those plugins in FF. FF should AT LEAST have all the functions and
> controls that IE has, and have them built right into it.
> At the same time, I installed Mozilla before FF. Mozilla was far too
> bloated for my tastes. I most likely would have stuck with it, and
> learned to ignore much of the bloat. However, Mozilla crashed more
> often than almost any other piece of software I have ever used. Maybe
> my computer is too slow, or my memory is lacking, since this is an old
> computer. but Moz just did not work for me. FF seems pretty stable.
> I have crashed it about 4 times since I started using it about 6
> months ago. IE crashes more than that. But Moz crashed almost
> everytime I used it, so it had to go.
>
> What you said makes much sense. Offer three levels. Plain - few
> features (like FF is now), Middle - many more of the common features,
> and High - all the bloat every geek could ever want.
> I already know I'd select the middle one.
>

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:58:18 -0800, "Steven M. Payeur"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I just wanted to say that I really don't like this. I started with
>>Mozilla, and have tried FireFox quite a few times. Every time I do, I
>>feel as if someone has put a straightjacket on me. So many of the
>>features and preferences are removed that I feel I no longer have
>>control of the browser. A thousand little add-ons have to be downloaded
>>and installed just to get some of that control back. Is there possibly
>>some middle-ground that can be achieved?
>>
>>Some friends and I always joke about the need for a checkbox in Windows
>>that enables/disables bloatware. Since they're dumbing-down the Mozilla
>>organization's offerings so much, why not give their users that option
>>to have control in a much more user-friendly way? Isn't that what
>>FireFox is all about: user friendliness? Does the browser have to be
>>restricted to lowest-common-denomenator features to still appeal to the
>>masses? An "allow me to control my browser" checkbox wouldn't force Mom
>>and Grandma to click it, but it would allow reasonably knowledgeable
>>users freedom.
>>
>>I guess I should get to programming instead of complaining up a storm?
>>
>>William W. Plummer wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
>>>to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
>>>
>>>Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
>>> What about the various plugins and extensions?

It should have all the same functions as IE has? And the same security
holes? Thats what makes it better, it is much more secure than IE! Many
of the 'features' you find in IE are simply security disasters waiting
to happen, to make FF function the same would open it up to the same
security situation IE users are now in.

William W. Plummer

> It should have all the same functions as IE has? And the same security
> holes? Thats what makes it better, it is much more secure than IE! Many
> of the 'features' you find in IE are simply security disasters waiting
> to happen, to make FF function the same would open it up to the same
> security situation IE users are now in.

I think we need to see what Microsoft does with Outlook, OE and IE.
The press seems to say they are taking the security issues seriously
now. The most appealing thing about Mozilla to us was the relief from
malware so if MS rises to that standard, I'll go back.

Adrian

"charles was inspired by God to say to the flock");, On 3/14/05 2:50 PM:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:29:44 -0500, "William W. Plummer"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Maybe I'm late with the news, but Kim Komando's newsletter had a pointer
>>to the story. http://tinyurl.com/4zbph
>>
>>Is it easy to switch to FireFox and Thunderbird? Will Calendar work?
>> What about the various plugins and extensions?

> I've used FF and TBird, still have them installed here. I use Mozilla
> and will continue to until something better comes along, and it probably
> won't be FF and TBird from what I can see now.

The Suite is the one for me too. FF & TB are years behind.
I use the web site editor as well. I'll stick with 1.7+ as long as it's
secure. Just thought I would put in a vote here for the Suite.
Oh well, back to lurking B4N,
~Adrian

someone@someplace.com

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 06:00:00 GMT, Moz Champion
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I use Firefox almost exclusively now. Once and awhile i am forced to
>> use IE because a certain wbsite dont work in FF. I must totally agree
>> with you. A happy medium is exactky what is needed. I too hate all
>> those plugins in FF. FF should AT LEAST have all the functions and
>> controls that IE has, and have them built right into it.
>> At the same time, I installed Mozilla before FF. Mozilla was far too
>> bloated for my tastes. I most likely would have stuck with it, and
>> learned to ignore much of the bloat. However, Mozilla crashed more
>> often than almost any other piece of software I have ever used. Maybe
>> my computer is too slow, or my memory is lacking, since this is an old
>> computer. but Moz just did not work for me. FF seems pretty stable.
>> I have crashed it about 4 times since I started using it about 6
>> months ago. IE crashes more than that. But Moz crashed almost
>> everytime I used it, so it had to go.
>>
>> What you said makes much sense. Offer three levels. Plain - few
>> features (like FF is now), Middle - many more of the common features,
>> and High - all the bloat every geek could ever want.
>> I already know I'd select the middle one.
>>

>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:58:18 -0800, "Steven M. Payeur"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>I just wanted to say that I really don't like this. I started with
>>>Mozilla, and have tried FireFox quite a few times. Every time I do, I
>>>feel as if someone has put a straightjacket on me. So many of the
>>>features and preferences are removed that I feel I no longer have
>>>control of the browser. A thousand little add-ons have to be downloaded
>>>and installed just to get some of that control back. Is there possibly
>>>some middle-ground that can be achieved?
>>>
>>>Some friends and I always joke about the need for a checkbox in Windows
>>>that enables/disables bloatware. Since they're dumbing-down the Mozilla
>>>organization's offerings so much, why not give their users that option
>>>to have control in a much more user-friendly way? Isn't that what
>>>FireFox is all about: user friendliness? Does the browser have to be
>>>restricted to lowest-common-denomenator features to still appeal to the
>>>masses? An "allow me to control my browser" checkbox wouldn't force Mom
>>>and Grandma to click it, but it would allow reasonably knowledgeable
>>>users freedom.
>>>
>>>I guess I should get to programming instead of complaining up a storm?

>It should have all the same functions as IE has? And the same security
>holes? Thats what makes it better, it is much more secure than IE! Many
>of the 'features' you find in IE are simply security disasters waiting
>to happen, to make FF function the same would open it up to the same
>security situation IE users are now in.

I'm not saying anything about security. I am referring to simple
ON/OFF things. IE allows a person to toggle on and off SOUNDS,
ANIMATIONS, VIDEOS, and other similar things. FF does not have these
features. Yes, I am sure there are plugins for all of them, but
simple things like this should be built in. For example, I hate the
Macromedia Flash used on far too many websites now-a-days. But I do
like to view some of the funny Flash movies they offer on some of the
political and other websites. I finally installed that plugin that
disables all flash content, and puts these big ugly buttons on the
pages that allow me to click to see flash content. It would be so
much nicer to just have a Flash On/Off selection.

Each one of us is different, and each of us have our own ways that we
want to view webpages. Some people love all that flash content and
all sorts of noisy sounds, etc. I dont. My dialup is too slow to
wait for all the junk to load, and I am very annoyed by noisy sound
files on sites, because I am generally listening to music or the tv
when I am online. Yet, other times I might get in a mood to go tp
some of these kind of sites and actually view and hear all that stuff.

I dont think it's too much to ask to offer Toggles for those options,
and FF could make it easier than IE, by placing them right in the
taskbar, instead of the clumbsy method in IE that requires a minimum
of 4 clicks to get to.

Another thing, are these automatic popups when typing in a URL. I am
not sure what this is called, but the seond I type www a bunch of old
urls pop up on my screen. To me, this is an annoyance. I can type
faster than to click on some old link, and everytime those things
popup on my screen, they distract me. I have them disabled in IE, and
have ever since I first installed IE. I simply do not want that
feature. But, FF forces me to be distracted by them. Once again, FF
should offer an option to toggle that on and off.

None of this has anything to do with security.... All I am asking is
to give us some options, and I dont mean having to install a plugin
for every one of these things, nor using that about.config thing that
only a computer programmer can understand.

The other option would be for someone to make ONE plugin that allows
for ALL of this, and puts a toggle selection in the taskbar.

Leonidas Jones

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> [...]

> not sure what this is called, but the seond I type www a bunch of old
> urls pop up on my screen. To me, this is an annoyance. I can type
> faster than to click on some old link, and everytime those things
> popup on my screen, they distract me. I have them disabled in IE, and
> have ever since I first installed IE. I simply do not want that
> feature. But, FF forces me to be distracted by them. Once again, FF
> should offer an option to toggle that on and off.
>
> None of this has anything to do with security.... All I am asking is
> to give us some options, and I dont mean having to install a plugin
> for every one of these things, nor using that about.config thing that
> only a computer programmer can understand.
>
> The other option would be for someone to make ONE plugin that allows
> for ALL of this, and puts a toggle selection in the taskbar.

Preferences toolbar has a Kill Flash button. Also Images, Fonts, Java
Javascript, animations, and much more can be toggled on and off on the
fly, either from a toolbar, or a dropdown in the Menu Bar.

It does not have a button to disable sound however. There are
bookmarklets that will shut down background sound.

http://prefbar.mozdev.org

By the way, at the moment, mozdev appears to be down.

Lee