Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can't figure out how to open pre existing web service project

Can't figure out how to open pre existing web service project

Brad Wood

I've reinstalled my operating system and now want to reopen a web
service project.

Here is the URLPath in my project's .webinfo file:
"http://localhost/DriverService/DriverWebService.csproj"

So I create a new virtual directory in IIS, name it "DriverService", and
set it's local path to the directory containing my .csproj (and other
project files). I verified that IIS is working by creating a simple
page in wwwroot and calling http://localhost in a browser.

Then when I open my project I get the "Web Access Failed" error message
reporting "The file path '[path to my project's bin dir]' does not
correspond to the URL 'http://localhost/DriverService'".

So I think I should be pointing the virtual directory to my bin dir, and
I make that change.

Now when I try to open the project I get the error, "Unable to get the
project file from the web server". This makes sense since the paths in
my .csproj and .sln files point to
"localhost/DriverService/DriverWebService.csproj" and there is no such file.

What folder should I point my virtual directory to? BTW, this seems to
have nothing to do with my "web cache" files.