Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > FF port 8000 call

FF port 8000 call

Willie Buck Merle

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well. Here is the Q:

When I go to www.slickdeals.net, my firewall blocks a call to
216.21.215.29:8000 from Firefox . I'm a n00b so I'm guessing this
isn't just firefox but happens to other browsers as well? Also my
system passed MS Antispy and PC-cillin 2005 spyware scans cleanly. Is
there something more to config in FF? I like to use Cookie Culler too.
Anyway TIA.

John Thompson

On 2005-03-09, Willie Buck Merle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I go to www.slickdeals.net, my firewall blocks a call to
> 216.21.215.29:8000 from Firefox . I'm a n00b so I'm guessing this
> isn't just firefox but happens to other browsers as well?

Run a whois query against that IP address:

[john@vector john]$ whois 216.21.215.29|less
OrgName: Adknowledge, Inc.
OrgID: ADKNO
Address: 4600 Madison Ave
Address: 5th Floor
City: Kansas City
StateProv: MO
PostalCode: 64112
Country: US

NetRange: 216.21.208.0 - 216.21.223.255
CIDR: 216.21.208.0/20
NetName: ADKNO
NetHandle: NET-216-21-208-0-1
Parent: NET-216-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Assignment
NameServer: NS1.AK-NETWORKS.COM
NameServer: NS2.AK-NETWORKS.COM
Comment:
RegDate: 2003-07-30
Updated: 2004-06-22

OrgTechHandle: KJC4-ARIN
OrgTechName: Clark, Kevin John
OrgTechPhone: +1-816-931-1771
OrgTechEmail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

"adknowledge.com" is a spam/spyware outfit; I get hit with dozens of
solicitations from them every day; all spam (but spamassassin dumps them
for me). They are trying to redirect you through their proxy running on
port 8000, presumably so they can take where you go and what you do.

Your firewall is configured to block connections to this site,
likely because of its known spam/spyware nature.

> Also my
> system passed MS Antispy and PC-cillin 2005 spyware scans cleanly. Is
> there something more to config in FF?

The fact that there is an attempt to redirect you to a proxy at
adknowledge.com suggests that there may still be some piece of spyware on
your system. Maybe try SpybotSD in addition to those other tools.

Like what? Do you have pop-up blocking enabled? Have you installed the
adblock extension? Probably the best way to avoid these problems is to
switch to a non-Windows operating system (Mac OS-X, linux, whatever) as
virtually all the spyware, viruses and such like require Windows to work.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))