Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can connect to SQLServer from windows app, not from web app

Can connect to SQLServer from windows app, not from web app

jhcorey@yahoo.com

We recently had to repair our SQLServer and a new C drive was put in
and SQLServer 2000 sp3 re-installed. The data files were on another
drive and I attached them.

Now I can do everything except connect from an ASP.NET app. I can
connect using a windows app from my server, but if I copy the exact
same data access code to a web app (both running on my machine) I get
the 'SQLServer does not exist or access denied' message.
My connection string looks like this:
"server=LabServer;uid=myUser;pwd=myPwd;database=my DB")

I can connect through server explorer in VS. I connect with Enterprise
Manager and Query Analyzer no problem. It's just ASP.NET, and I can't
see anything different in the code.

Thanks for any ideas,
Jim

jhcorey@yahoo.com

Nevermind. It appears to be a DNS problem. Windows server was
re-installed and the ip address was not correctly assigned. I found I
could connect to the SQLServer using the ip address but not the name,
although the name worked in the windows app.