Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > XP Pro/IIS 5.1/.NET 1.1 Performance Problem

XP Pro/IIS 5.1/.NET 1.1 Performance Problem

=?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=

Hi,

I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
-i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the OS.
In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage, crystal
reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.

I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I reinstall
OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Magdelin

Peter Kellner

This followup was posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)am says...

> I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I reinstall
> OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
> prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
> suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Magdelin

have you tried uninstalling the .net framework and reinstalling just
that?

--
Peter Kellner
http://peterkellner.net

=?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=

Yes, I did. Infact, I am currently testing the application with just IIS 5.1
and .Net framework 1.1 SP1. No VS.NET 2003, crystal reports and third party
controls.

"Peter Kellner" wrote:

> This followup was posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
>
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)am says...
>
> > I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I reinstall
> > OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
> > prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
> > suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Magdelin
> >

> have you tried uninstalling the .net framework and reinstalling just
> that?
>
> --
> Peter Kellner
> http://peterkellner.net

Mark Fitzpatrick

Also check and see if you need updates now. Uninstalling IIS and then
re-installing it may have installed the version of IIS that was good for the
original install but may lack the updates from the various service packs.
Head over to update.microsoft.com and see if there are any updates that you
need to apply now. Uninstalling and re-installing the .Net Framework may
also assist this, but don't forget to check fo r the service packs for the
framework after re-installing

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

"Magdelin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
> messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
> -i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
> application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
> Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
> NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
> news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
> code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
> database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
> 2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the
> OS.
> In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
> crystal
> reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
> application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.
>
> I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
> reinstall
> OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
> prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
> suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Magdelin

=?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=

Thanks for your suggestions. I ran all updates this morning including .Net
1.1 SP1 but no luck.

"Mark Fitzpatrick" wrote:

> Also check and see if you need updates now. Uninstalling IIS and then
> re-installing it may have installed the version of IIS that was good for the
> original install but may lack the updates from the various service packs.
> Head over to update.microsoft.com and see if there are any updates that you
> need to apply now. Uninstalling and re-installing the .Net Framework may
> also assist this, but don't forget to check fo r the service packs for the
> framework after re-installing
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark Fitzpatrick
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>
> "Magdelin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
> > messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
> > -i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
> > application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
> > Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
> > NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
> > news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
> > code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
> > database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
> > uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
> > 2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the
> > OS.
> > In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
> > crystal
> > reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
> > application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.
> >
> > I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
> > reinstall
> > OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
> > prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
> > suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Magdelin

Jon Paal

If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
corrupted.

Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc

"Magdelin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
> messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
> -i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
> application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
> Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
> NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
> news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
> code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
> database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
> 2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the
> OS.
> In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
> crystal
> reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
> application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.
>
> I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
> reinstall
> OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
> prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
> suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Magdelin

=?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=

Thanks for your suggestions. I did check the event logs, no errors. I wish
there was one. Like, I said before, the application works but it is extremely
slow. I couldn't find anything unusual in the virtual directory.

"Jon Paal" wrote:

> If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
> corrupted.
>
> Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
> application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
> check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc
>

> "Magdelin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
> > messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran aspnet_regiis
> > -i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally. This
> > application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
> > Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
> > NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The good
> > news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through the
> > code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
> > database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have tried
> > uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework, VS.NET
> > 2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling the
> > OS.
> > In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
> > crystal
> > reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another asp.net
> > application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work normally.
> >
> > I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
> > reinstall
> > OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help me
> > prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
> > suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Magdelin

Jon Paal

If all the other applications run normally then it is solely the problem of
the one app.

Turn on trace when you run the app and see where the delays are occurring.

"Magdelin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your suggestions. I did check the event logs, no errors. I wish
> there was one. Like, I said before, the application works but it is
> extremely
> slow. I couldn't find anything unusual in the virtual directory.
>
> "Jon Paal" wrote:
>
>> If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
>> corrupted.
>>
>> Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
>> application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
>> check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc
>>

>> "Magdelin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I accidently uninstalled IIS 5.1 on my XP Pro workstation and I think I
>> > messed up my .Net framework. Then, I reinstalled IIS and ran
>> > aspnet_regiis
>> > -i. After this, all asp.net applications except one worked normally.
>> > This
>> > application is different from other as it is distributed (uses .Net
>> > Remoting), uses Crystal Reports 9 for web reports, uses Infragistics
>> > NetAdvantage suite controls and windows integrated authetication. The
>> > good
>> > news is application works but it is dead slow. When I stepped through
>> > the
>> > code it looks like the IIS takes forever to load the page into IE. The
>> > database calls and remoting component seems to work normally. I have
>> > tried
>> > uninstalling and reinstalling IIS, frontpage extensions, framework,
>> > VS.NET
>> > 2003 but no luck. The one thing I haven't tried still is reinstalling
>> > the
>> > OS.
>> > In order to identify the actual problem, I eliminated Net advantage,
>> > crystal
>> > reports, and integrated authentication but no luck. I have another
>> > asp.net
>> > application which does not use .Net remoting which seems to work
>> > normally.
>> >
>> > I have tons of other software which I will have to reinstall if I
>> > reinstall
>> > OS. Already I have spent lot of time fixing this issue so please help
>> > me
>> > prevent OS reinstall. Have anyone exprienced this problem before. Any
>> > suggestions or pointers will be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> > Magdelin

=?Utf-8?B?TWFnZGVsaW4=?=

The trace log shows maximum time for the LoadViewState and PostProcessData
but this is normal. I really appreciate your help.

"Jon Paal" wrote:

> If all the other applications run normally then it is solely the problem of
> the one app.
>
> Turn on trace when you run the app and see where the delays are occurring.
>

> "Magdelin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks for your suggestions. I did check the event logs, no errors. I wish
> > there was one. Like, I said before, the application works but it is
> > extremely
> > slow. I couldn't find anything unusual in the virtual directory.
> >
> > "Jon Paal" wrote:
> >
> >> If everythig else is running normally, it's very unlikely the OS is
> >> corrupted.
> >>
> >> Make sure the virtual settings are correct in IIS for the problem
> >> application. chances are reinstalling IIS has lost some settings. Also
> >> check the event log for any problems: Start-> run->event vwr.msc
> >>

> >> "Magdelin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?V2ViQnVpbGRlcjQ1MQ==?=

did you ever get this resolved?
for some reason all my applications on my personal version of iis are slow
to the point of not being usable. This is bad
(xp pro, dot.net framework 1.1)
thanks
kes

--
thanks (as always)
some day i''m gona pay this forum back for all the help i''m getting