Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Active Directory

Active Directory

Jibbly Bee

I am trying to use the microsoft article on using forms and Active Directory
for authentication, but I cannot work out what the LDAP is supposed to be,
in the example it has:

String adPath = "LDAP://DC=..,DC=.."; //Path to you LDAP directory server

should this be adPath="LDAP://DC=ServerIP,DC=ServerIP"; ????

This in on a normal network with one domain and controller, the domain
controll is Windows 2000, and the asp.net application is on a windows 2003
server.

Thanks.

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

If your domain name is yourcompany.local, you'd do:

LDAP://DC=yourcompany,dc=local

If your domain name is yourcompany.com and you want to connect to a DC named
dc1, you'd do

LDAP://DC=dc1,DC=yourcompany,DC=local

Ray at work

"Jibbly Bee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to use the microsoft article on using forms and Active

Directory
> for authentication, but I cannot work out what the LDAP is supposed to be,
> in the example it has:
>
> String adPath = "LDAP://DC=..,DC=.."; //Path to you LDAP directory server
>
> should this be adPath="LDAP://DC=ServerIP,DC=ServerIP"; ????
>
> This in on a normal network with one domain and controller, the domain
> controll is Windows 2000, and the asp.net application is on a windows 2003
> server.
>
> Thanks.

Jibbly Bee

Thanks,

I'll give that a try.

message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your domain name is yourcompany.local, you'd do:
>
> LDAP://DC=yourcompany,dc=local
>
> If your domain name is yourcompany.com and you want to connect to a DC
> named
> dc1, you'd do
>
> LDAP://DC=dc1,DC=yourcompany,DC=local
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Jibbly Bee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am trying to use the microsoft article on using forms and Active

> Directory
>> for authentication, but I cannot work out what the LDAP is supposed to
>> be,
>> in the example it has:
>>
>> String adPath = "LDAP://DC=..,DC=.."; //Path to you LDAP directory server
>>
>> should this be adPath="LDAP://DC=ServerIP,DC=ServerIP"; ????
>>
>> This in on a normal network with one domain and controller, the domain
>> controll is Windows 2000, and the asp.net application is on a windows
>> 2003
>> server.
>>
>> Thanks.

Paul Clement

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:07:23 +0100, "Jibbly Bee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

I am trying to use the microsoft article on using forms and Active Directory
for authentication, but I cannot work out what the LDAP is supposed to be,
in the example it has:

String adPath = "LDAP://DC=..,DC=.."; //Path to you LDAP directory server

should this be adPath="LDAP://DC=ServerIP,DC=ServerIP"; ????

This in on a normal network with one domain and controller, the domain
controll is Windows 2000, and the asp.net application is on a windows 2003
server.

Check the default naming context:

Dim RootDSE As New DirectoryServices.DirectoryEnt*ry("LDAP://RootDSE")
Dim DomainDistinguishedName As String = RootDSE.Properties("DefaultNamingContext").Value

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)