Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > how can I retreave a key from view state

how can I retreave a key from view state

=?Utf-8?B?V2ViQnVpbGRlcjQ1MQ==?=

I have a short datalist that has a key field. on item select i want to open a
panel that has the details from the record selected. If at all possible i do
not want to re-run the sp, re-fill the dataset to get the key. It's being
held ok in viewstate so why not use it? All I need is the key from the record
selected on the datalist to grab the single record using another sp .
1. is there a way to pass this key field directly? or
2. is there a way to retreave the key from viewstate?
thanks
kes

=?Utf-8?B?V2ViQnVpbGRlcjQ1MQ==?=

thanks, it was there. I was trying to retreave the key via e.item. (...)
well, the answer was obvious.
thanks
iou1
kes

"Eliyahu Goldin" wrote:

> Is the datalist already in ViewState? If it is not, enable view state. Does
> the datalist item include the key field? If it is not, include it with css
> rule display:none. Have done this, you will get the datalist with the key
> back on every postback, and, if you know what item is selected, you can get
> the key value from the item.
>
> Eliyahu
>
> "WebBuilder451" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a short datalist that has a key field. on item select i want to

> open a
> > panel that has the details from the record selected. If at all possible i

> do
> > not want to re-run the sp, re-fill the dataset to get the key. It's being
> > held ok in viewstate so why not use it? All I need is the key from the

> record
> > selected on the datalist to grab the single record using another sp .
> > 1. is there a way to pass this key field directly? or
> > 2. is there a way to retreave the key from viewstate?
> > thanks
> > kes

Eliyahu Goldin