Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Storing session information in MSAccess or Text File

Storing session information in MSAccess or Text File

Brian Cryer

I'm curious (as opposed to having a definite need), but given that I know
how to serialize session information, does anyone know how in the .NET 1.1
framework I could write my own SessionProvider, such that I could take on
the responsibility to storing/loading session and thus store it in an Access
database or even a text file? I gather this is possible in .NET 2, but can
it be done using .NET 1.1?

Thanks in advance,

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

Session State in Access? Access isn't designed to stand up
to much of any kind of web traffic. 10 or 15 simulatneous
connections before you start seeing problems.

You would only "need" to store state in a database on
a web farm. If you are running a web farm, your ASP.NET
application "surely" wouldn't be communicating with your
Access database over a shared drive.

I can't see any logical reason why anyone would
bother this.

--
2004 and 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
Robbe Morris

Earn $$$ money answering .NET Framework
messageboard posts at EggHeadCafe.com.
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/forums/merit.asp

"Brian Cryer" <brianc@127.0.0.1.activesol.co.uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm curious (as opposed to having a definite need), but given that I know
> how to serialize session information, does anyone know how in the .NET 1.1
> framework I could write my own SessionProvider, such that I could take on
> the responsibility to storing/loading session and thus store it in an
> Access database or even a text file? I gather this is possible in .NET 2,
> but can it be done using .NET 1.1?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Brian.
>
> www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Brian Cryer

"Robbe Morris [C# MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Session State in Access? Access isn't designed to stand up
> to much of any kind of web traffic. 10 or 15 simulatneous
> connections before you start seeing problems.
>
> You would only "need" to store state in a database on
> a web farm. If you are running a web farm, your ASP.NET
> application "surely" wouldn't be communicating with your
> Access database over a shared drive.
>
> I can't see any logical reason why anyone would
> bother this.
>
> --
> 2004 and 2005 Microsoft MVP C#
> Robbe Morris
> http://www.masterado.net

I agree entirely. However, my interest is in HOW I could take control of
saving session information, not whether I should be using Access to store
it.

Brian.

www.cryer.co.uk/brian