Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > cookie handling - is there a list of *necessary* cookies ??

cookie handling - is there a list of *necessary* cookies ??

cookie-monster

thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...

some sites won't work without cookies
but the cookie isn't always obvious

er... the question would be clearer with an example:

take hotmail.com

the minimum number of cookies needed is 3

hotmail.msn.com
login.pasport.net
passport.com

not immediately obvious, and worked out by experiment

is there a list anywhere of sites with "non-obvious" cookies
and the entries they need ??

looking on google seems to only produce a lot of pages
with "what is a cookie ?" definitions and general rants
agianst their use...

Big Will

cookie-monster wrote:
> thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
>
> some sites won't work without cookies
> but the cookie isn't always obvious
>
> er... the question would be clearer with an example:
>
> take hotmail.com
>
> the minimum number of cookies needed is 3
>
> hotmail.msn.com
> login.pasport.net
> passport.com
>
> not immediately obvious, and worked out by experiment
>
> is there a list anywhere of sites with "non-obvious" cookies
> and the entries they need ??
>
> looking on google seems to only produce a lot of pages
> with "what is a cookie ?" definitions and general rants
> agianst their use...

I dunno about that, but if you are set to allow cookies, then you can
see what sites have cookies installed simply by viewing your cookie manager.

Regards,

Will