Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > cookie handling - accept from domain or specific sub-domains ??

cookie handling - accept from domain or specific sub-domains ??

cookie-monster

thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
and is of arguable importance anyway

I have set Firefox to block all cookies
except those I am select to allow -
most of which are "Allow For Session"

er... the question would be clearer with an example:

take a site like yahoo.com -
a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
mail.yahoo.com
games.yahoo.com
profiles.yahoo.com
< and so on >

when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
sub-domains - *.yahoo.com

or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

Big Will

cookie-monster wrote:
> thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
> and is of arguable importance anyway
>
> I have set Firefox to block all cookies
> except those I am select to allow -
> most of which are "Allow For Session"
>
> er... the question would be clearer with an example:
>
> take a site like yahoo.com -
> a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
> mail.yahoo.com
> games.yahoo.com
> profiles.yahoo.com
> < and so on >
>
> when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
> is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
> which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
> sub-domains - *.yahoo.com
>
> or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

I sent a reply to your other post, please don't multipost or post the
same question several times in the same ng.

Leonidas Jones

Big Will wrote:
> cookie-monster wrote:
>
>> thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
>> and is of arguable importance anyway
>>
>> I have set Firefox to block all cookies
>> except those I am select to allow -
>> most of which are "Allow For Session"
>>
>> er... the question would be clearer with an example:
>>
>> take a site like yahoo.com -
>> a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
>> mail.yahoo.com
>> games.yahoo.com
>> profiles.yahoo.com
>> < and so on >
>>
>> when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
>> is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
>> which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
>> sub-domains - *.yahoo.com
>>
>> or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

> I sent a reply to your other post, please don't multipost or post the
> same question several times in the same ng.

The two were within a minute, he probably just double clicked Send by
mistake.

Lee

Big Will

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Big Will wrote:
>
>> cookie-monster wrote:
>>
>>> thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
>>> and is of arguable importance anyway
>>>
>>> I have set Firefox to block all cookies
>>> except those I am select to allow -
>>> most of which are "Allow For Session"
>>>
>>> er... the question would be clearer with an example:
>>>
>>> take a site like yahoo.com -
>>> a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
>>> mail.yahoo.com
>>> games.yahoo.com
>>> profiles.yahoo.com
>>> < and so on >
>>>
>>> when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
>>> is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
>>> which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
>>> sub-domains - *.yahoo.com
>>>
>>> or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

>> I sent a reply to your other post, please don't multipost or post the
>> same question several times in the same ng.

> The two were within a minute, he probably just double clicked Send by
> mistake.
>
> Lee

or perhaps tripple clicked, there's a third a minute later (which asks
the same question but uses a different example).

Leonidas Jones

Big Will wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Big Will wrote:

>>> I sent a reply to your other post, please don't multipost or post the
>>> same question several times in the same ng.

>> The two were within a minute, he probably just double clicked Send by
>> mistake.
>>
>> Lee

> or perhaps tripple clicked, there's a third a minute later (which asks
> the same question but uses a different example).

Okay, I guess I'm too nice a guy!

Lee

cookie-monster

>> or perhaps tripple clicked, there's a third a minute later (which asks
>> the same question but uses a different example).

> Okay, I guess I'm too nice a guy!

well, actually, if you want the exclusive...

I sent 2 DIFFERENT questions - written in the same format

if you think they are the same question,
perhaps you need to re-read them

one question got posted twice under 2 ids -
the duplicate copy of which I sent a Cancel message on,
within a minute or so of it being sent...

I refuse to make an argument out of something so trivial

have a nice day

Big Will

cookie-monster wrote:
>>> or perhaps tripple clicked, there's a third a minute later (which
>>> asks the same question but uses a different example).

>> Okay, I guess I'm too nice a guy!

> well, actually, if you want the exclusive...
>
> I sent 2 DIFFERENT questions - written in the same format
>
> if you think they are the same question,
> perhaps you need to re-read them
>
> one question got posted twice under 2 ids -
> the duplicate copy of which I sent a Cancel message on,
> within a minute or so of it being sent...
>

> I refuse to make an argument out of something so trivial
>
> have a nice day

ahh. IC. kk.