Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > cookie handling - accept from domain or specific sub-domains ??

cookie handling - accept from domain or specific sub-domains ??

cookie-monster

thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
and is of arguable importance anyway

I have set Firefox to block all cookies
except those I am select to allow -
most of which are "Allow For Session"

er... the question would be clearer with an example:

take a site like yahoo.com -
a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
mail.yahoo.com
games.yahoo.com
profiles.yahoo.com
< and so on >

when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
sub-domains - *.yahoo.com

or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

Big Will

cookie-monster wrote:
> thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
> and is of arguable importance anyway
>
> I have set Firefox to block all cookies
> except those I am select to allow -
> most of which are "Allow For Session"
>
> er... the question would be clearer with an example:
>
> take a site like yahoo.com -
> a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
> mail.yahoo.com
> games.yahoo.com
> profiles.yahoo.com
> < and so on >
>
> when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
> is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
> which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
> sub-domains - *.yahoo.com
>
> or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

You shouldn't have to really worry about cookies, as long as you clear
them out when exiting (which thre is a setting in FF). If you're really
concerned about cookies, then I'd suggest spywareblaster from
www.javacoolsoftware.com, which blocks cookies comming from certain
domains. If, however, you prefer to only allow certain cites to
download cookies, then selecting the parent site should suffice. Also,
please don't multipost or post more then once in the same newsgroup
asking the same question.

Moz Champion

Big Will wrote:
> cookie-monster wrote:
>
>> thinking aloud here, so this may not make much sense...
>> and is of arguable importance anyway
>>
>> I have set Firefox to block all cookies
>> except those I am select to allow -
>> most of which are "Allow For Session"
>>
>> er... the question would be clearer with an example:
>>
>> take a site like yahoo.com -
>> a number of sub-domains that are visited regularly
>> mail.yahoo.com
>> games.yahoo.com
>> profiles.yahoo.com
>> < and so on >
>>
>> when selecting which cookie(s) to accept -
>> is it better to select the parent site - yahoo.com
>> which will thus accept a cookie from any of the
>> sub-domains - *.yahoo.com
>>
>> or to specify the cookie for each of the sub-sites

> You shouldn't have to really worry about cookies, as long as you clear
> them out when exiting (which thre is a setting in FF). If you're really
> concerned about cookies, then I'd suggest spywareblaster from
> www.javacoolsoftware.com, which blocks cookies comming from certain
> domains. If, however, you prefer to only allow certain cites to
> download cookies, then selecting the parent site should suffice. Also,
> please don't multipost or post more then once in the same newsgroup
> asking the same question.

Whats the big deal about cookies? Allow em all, and forget about it <g>