Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Sage RSS reader in Firefox : what advantage ???

Sage RSS reader in Firefox : what advantage ???

Thomas

Hello,

I installed Sage some days ago in order to improve the reading of RSS
feeds in my Firefox browser.
After some days of use, i do not understand the advantage of this
extension :

- When I click on the button "check the feeds", some feeds are marked as
unread (means new threads should be there) and other as read (means no
news). The problem is that it does not fit the reality : some feeds
marked as unread have some new threads and the contrary !

- When I choose to mark all the news in a RSS feed as "read" (for
instance mark as read all the BBC news), when I come back after, Sage
mark them all as unread... (it does not remember what I marked).

So, what is the advantage of Sage in comparison with the simple RSS
basic reader of Firefox (live bookmarks) ???

I hope this is a problem of configuration or something else easy to cope
with... Thanks for your help !!!

Thomas

Splibbilla

Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:4226d54b$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello,
>
> I installed Sage some days ago in order to improve the reading of RSS
> feeds in my Firefox browser.
> After some days of use, i do not understand the advantage of this
> extension :
>
> - When I click on the button "check the feeds", some feeds are marked as
> unread (means new threads should be there) and other as read (means no
> news). The problem is that it does not fit the reality : some feeds
> marked as unread have some new threads and the contrary !

i htink we are much confused becuase of the different formats of feeds.

rss xml rdf...

i've been messing with sage and with live bookmkrs in the sidebar.

i've noticed that sage's "find" feeds" selects rss2.0. but i can drag all format feeds from a webpage listgin multiple types. and i
thikn all formats load from within the sage sidebar.

also teh recycle (relaod?) icon button cuases the feeds to turn bold. i'm not sure if they all regain teh red asterisk.

also if you click on a feed as if it were a regular bookmakr, the favicon shows up as is would if you clicked on a "normal"
bookmark. but the favicons dont show in the sage sidebar.

i've also noticed that just a *very few* feeds act like fodlers full of updating links to (updated) articles. IIRC, chiristina science
montior's feed is an exmaple of this "folder type" of feed.

> - When I choose to mark all the news in a RSS feed as "read" (for
> instance mark as read all the BBC news), when I come back after, Sage
> mark them all as unread... (it does not remember what I marked).

i'm pretty sure that doesnt happpen in my sage. read/unread comands seem to wrok as expected.

> So, what is the advantage of Sage in comparison with the simple RSS
> basic reader of Firefox (live bookmarks) ???

i think live bookmakrs might need only to have a designated feed-folder, so that FF 'remembers' to open that folder in the
sidebar. but this is just a matter of convenience, since i keep my feed folder in the personal toolbar, easily navigated to, once
bookmarks are open in sidebar.

> I hope this is a problem of configuration or something else easy to cope
> with... Thanks for your help !!!
>
> Thomas

we've probably messed with this enough that we might find the info on the moz sites.

--
1 WinXp,Ff1.0.1GoogleBar, Sage
2 WinMe, Moz1.7.5Gecko/20041217, all profiles: GoogleBar/XPI-rimental,PrefBar,bugmenot,,, and???CopyURL, IEView.

data64

Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4226d54b$(E-Mail Removed):

> So, what is the advantage of Sage in comparison with the simple RSS
> basic reader of Firefox (live bookmarks) ???

Sage was around much before they added the live bookmarks feature to Firefox.
With the addition of live bookmarks, Sage is losing relevance. It still does
some things better than the live bookmarks feature, but it is really
enough....?

data64

David Parrott

data64 wrote:
> Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4226d54b$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>So, what is the advantage of Sage in comparison with the simple RSS
>>basic reader of Firefox (live bookmarks) ???

> Sage was around much before they added the live bookmarks feature to Firefox.
> With the addition of live bookmarks, Sage is losing relevance. It still does
> some things better than the live bookmarks feature, but it is really
> enough....?

To my knowledge live updates don't seem to provide any notification that
a feed has new items. It's probably fine if you're just checking a few
but I have about 200 feeds in sage, there's no way I could remember what
the latest article on each was to know if there's anything new.

This on it's own makes sage worth using for me.
--
David Parrott

Thomas

David Parrott a écrit :

> data64 wrote:
>
>> Thomas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4226d54b$(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>> So, what is the advantage of Sage in comparison with the simple RSS
>>> basic reader of Firefox (live bookmarks) ???

>> Sage was around much before they added the live bookmarks feature to
>> Firefox.
>> With the addition of live bookmarks, Sage is losing relevance. It
>> still does some things better than the live bookmarks feature, but it
>> is really enough....?

> To my knowledge live updates don't seem to provide any notification
> that a feed has new items. It's probably fine if you're just checking
> a few but I have about 200 feeds in sage, there's no way I could
> remember what the latest article on each was to know if there's
> anything new.
>
> This on it's own makes sage worth using for me.

OK, but in my situation, notification goes "crazy": it does not notify
some new items in some feeds and goes bold for feeds with no news...

Steve

David Parrott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>To my knowledge live updates don't seem to provide any notification that
>a feed has new items. It's probably fine if you're just checking a few
>but I have about 200 feeds in sage, there's no way I could remember what
>the latest article on each was to know if there's anything new.

Yikes, how on earth do you keep up with 200 feeds??

David Parrott

Steve wrote:
> David Parrott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>To my knowledge live updates don't seem to provide any notification that
>>a feed has new items. It's probably fine if you're just checking a few
>>but I have about 200 feeds in sage, there's no way I could remember what
>>the latest article on each was to know if there's anything new.

> Yikes, how on earth do you keep up with 200 feeds??

By using sage .

On a more serious note though, that is exactly it. They're not all
updated daily, so I just need to open sage, click the refresh button and
scan down the list to see which have updates, those that do, I read.

Without sage (or another reader) I'd have to either check all the sites
daily, or use live bookmarks and try and remember what the latest
article on every one was then decide to visit or not.

There are other people that read plenty more than me too .
--
David Parrott

Two ways to generate RSS - rss/maker and rss/2.0 - which is better? Jonathan Groll Ruby 1 06-27-2009 03:53 AM
Microsoft SQL , Sybase advantage SQL,Advantage database Tommy Computer Support 1 11-29-2007 04:21 AM
SAGE L50 and ASP.net FOTL ASP .Net 1 01-18-2005 09:55 AM
Updating Sage Pat Firefox 13 09-21-2004 02:17 PM
RSS Reader for Firefox 0.9.1? Pat Firefox 2 07-09-2004 10:00 PM

Advertisments