Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird - What a piece of ****

Thunderbird - What a piece of ****

Pun Krocker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, coyote2
@donotemail.com says...
> I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
> OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
> be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
> pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
> it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

20 plus years of computers and I can't remember when I first installed
Thunderbird for e-mail (never been keen on it's newsgroup use), but it's
been fine from day one (loading time 3 seconds approx).

Funny old world we live in

--
d{ô_ô}b PK

interviewing people who can't talk
for people who can't read".

..brian..

John wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:27:11 -0600, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >I just have to say this. I installed Firefox several months ago,

and
> >absolutely love it. I decided that Thunderbird might be just as

good,
> >even though I have been using Eudora for nearly 10 years. I

installed
> >Thunderbird, and fought with it, and fought with it more. I
> >originally let it import from Eudora. That was a mistake. It
> >insisted on resending all 280 some messages that had been sent, and
> >kept telling me that there were 6 unread messages, that DID NOT

EXIST.
> >I fought with it more, and yet more. I could not get it to stop
> >bugging me about those six messages, and the supposed unsent

messages,
> >and everytime I did anything, it kept popping up about those

messages.
> >I finally uninstalled it, figuring I would do a bare-bones install,
> >not allowing it to get any info from Eudora. I ran a complete
> >uninstall, and reinstalled it, only to find that it had retained all
> >that stuff it had taken from before. I uninstalled again, and moved
> >Eudora to an external backup drive, and disconnected that drive. I
> >rebooted, and installed it again. The damn thing once again found

all
> >that junk as before. I finally found that uninstalling does not
> >truely uninstall, because it stored all that stuff it had imported

in
> >the windows/application data/*.* folder. It also left other files

in
> >my windows dir. After several hours of searching my drive, I

finally
> >succeeded in destroying all that junk. Once again I installed it.
> >This time I finally got a bare-bones installation, however, I found

it
> >takes over a minute to load, with not even one email in it.
> >
> >I finally decided to send an email to myself as a test. I typed a

few
> >words and fought with it again over something or other, which I

really
> >did not understand what it wanted, nor at this point did I care,
> >because I had just plain had enough of this piece of **** software.

> >hit "cancel" or "do not send", or whatever wording it uses to NOT

send
> >that email, but it insisted on asking me over and over and over what
> >to do with that message, even though I told it 5 or more times to

kill
> >the ****ing message. I used a 3 finger salute and rebooted the
> >computer at that point. Re started Windows, and uninstalled it.

Then
> >I went and cleaned up all the junk that the uninstaller misses.
> >
> >I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
> >OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going

> >be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten

WORST
> >pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
> >it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
> >
> >I find it hard to believe that the same company that created one of
> >the best, if not the absolute best browser (Firefox) in history,

could
> >possibly create anything as horrible and user unfriendly and crappy

as
> >Thunderbird. I will never install it again, considering there are

is
> >a much better piece of software bundled with Windows, (Outlook
> >Express), except for the virus issues, which is why I do not

regularly
> >use it. So, I will continue to pay for Eudora which as always been
> >the best.
> >
> >Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of **** !

> Personally, I don't use it. I have used Eudora (sponsored mode - who

care about
> that little ad?) for over ten years, and like it .
>
> <wink>
> What bothers me most, since your opinion on this subject is no

doubt,
> absolutely, and definitely right - what about those thousands

(perhaps tens of
> thousands) of poor people who have been deluded into thinking that

Thunderbird
> is a good program?
> What are we going to do to save them from certain didaster?
> </wink>
>
> John

LOL. If you guys, Eudora lovers, want the TB users who can't think for
themselves... feel free to have them! Nobody is tricked into using
the always Thunderbird, a good and always free email client, which is
very young in development.

Hmm... TB 1.0 vs Eudora 6.2.1...
--
Brian

David Harrison

On 3/2/2005 3:52 PM, Pun Krocker said:

> 20 plus years of computers and I can't remember when I first installed
> Thunderbird for e-mail (never been keen on it's newsgroup use), but it's
> been fine from day one (loading time 3 seconds approx).
>
> Funny old world we live in

Ain't it just?

I've had similar problems to those of the original poster. But with
various clients -- Outlook Distress, Mozilla Mail, TB. It's usually
turned out to be something choking at the POP server. Maybe a
corrupt/malformed message that disappeared after a friendly e-mail to
the ISP, thus freeing up the rest.

Switched from Moz Mail to TB last year, and it's almost the perfect
replacement. Installed right away, etc. The only irritant is that when I
compose by clicking a mailto link in FF, TB doesn't load my sig file.
Odd but hardly a deal-breaker.

cheers,

David H

Leonidas Jones

Pun Krocker wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, coyote2
> @donotemail.com says...
>
>>I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
>>OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
>>be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten WORST
>>pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
>>it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!
>>

> 20 plus years of computers and I can't remember when I first installed
> Thunderbird for e-mail (never been keen on it's newsgroup use), but it's
> been fine from day one (loading time 3 seconds approx).
>
> Funny old world we live in

The months fade into years pretty quickly. I first installed it when it
was Minotaur 0.1. It worked pretty well then, and its come a long,
long way since. Its still a young program, and has a lot of maturing to
do, no doubt about it. Personally, I don;t think its really at a 1.0
level yet, its more of a beta, though a very good beta.

To address the OP's problem, though he evidently doesn't care about
making it work at this point, obviously the import from Eudora didn't
work well. TB is designed to be user friendly to the former OE user,
and most OE imports do go well. I've never used Eudora, so I can't speak
as to why it went wrong.

The big problem was when he tried to rectify the situation with a clean
install. Clearly he doesn't understand the concept of profiles.

Coyote, had you simply opened Profile Manager:

Start>>Programs>>Mozilla Thunderbird>>Profile Manager

and used PM to create a new profile, there would have been no need to
uninstall/reinstall. When you did that, the new installation looked to
see if there was an existing profile, and, finding it, used it. A new
profile would have given you the clean start you were looking for.

Then again, had you come here in the first place, we could have given
you that advice, and walked you through it, as opposed to your trying to
make a program work when you really didn't understand it, then coming
here to complain when you smushed it up.

Lee

Leonidas Jones

David Harrison wrote:
> On 3/2/2005 3:52 PM, Pun Krocker said:
>
>> 20 plus years of computers and I can't remember when I first installed
>> Thunderbird for e-mail (never been keen on it's newsgroup use), but
>> it's been fine from day one (loading time 3 seconds approx).
>>
>> Funny old world we live in

> Ain't it just?
>
> I've had similar problems to those of the original poster. But with
> various clients -- Outlook Distress, Mozilla Mail, TB. It's usually
> turned out to be something choking at the POP server. Maybe a
> corrupt/malformed message that disappeared after a friendly e-mail to
> the ISP, thus freeing up the rest.
>
> Switched from Moz Mail to TB last year, and it's almost the perfect
> replacement. Installed right away, etc. The only irritant is that when I
> compose by clicking a mailto link in FF, TB doesn't load my sig file.
> Odd but hardly a deal-breaker.
>
> cheers,
>
> David H

I'll have to check that. I don't have a sig file set for my default
email, I would have expected it to load it up.

Well, from here, clicking on a mailto in FF brings up a TB Compose
window, using the default email, with sig. I did note if I used
File>>Send Link, the sig was not added. Do the mailto's that don;t addd
the sig hahve any prewritten material in the body?

Lee

Michel Doucet

Salut à toi *Bryan Harrison*, tu nous disais ce mercredi 02/03/2005
dans <news:d0436o$k26$(E-Mail Removed)> vers 11:06:16 le mélange
de mots suivant :

>> Thunderbird is horrible ! What a piece of **** !

> Thanks. I'll stop using it immediately.
> Damn, I have been deluding myself for the past 2 years.
> Now.. how do you re-install Outlook Express?

rofl

--
L'erreur est de croire qu'on est seul devant ses problèmes !
Utilisez le butineur, le lecteur de courrier et de nouvelles avec

Charles Cobb Jr

I can't see where/how to put in signature so it loads automatically. Please
help. Thanks.

"Leonidas Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cKmVd.312010$(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Harrison wrote:
> > On 3/2/2005 3:52 PM, Pun Krocker said:
> >
> >> 20 plus years of computers and I can't remember when I first installed
> >> Thunderbird for e-mail (never been keen on it's newsgroup use), but
> >> it's been fine from day one (loading time 3 seconds approx).
> >>
> >> Funny old world we live in

> > Ain't it just?
> >
> > I've had similar problems to those of the original poster. But with
> > various clients -- Outlook Distress, Mozilla Mail, TB. It's usually
> > turned out to be something choking at the POP server. Maybe a
> > corrupt/malformed message that disappeared after a friendly e-mail to
> > the ISP, thus freeing up the rest.
> >
> > Switched from Moz Mail to TB last year, and it's almost the perfect
> > replacement. Installed right away, etc. The only irritant is that when I
> > compose by clicking a mailto link in FF, TB doesn't load my sig file.
> > Odd but hardly a deal-breaker.
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > David H

> I'll have to check that. I don't have a sig file set for my default
> email, I would have expected it to load it up.
>
> Well, from here, clicking on a mailto in FF brings up a TB Compose
> window, using the default email, with sig. I did note if I used
> File>>Send Link, the sig was not added. Do the mailto's that don;t addd
> the sig hahve any prewritten material in the body?
>
> Lee

GFRfan

Charles Cobb Jr wrote:
> I can't see where/how to put in signature so it loads automatically.

Please
> help. Thanks.

tools>account settings>check attach this signature>choose

John

On 2 Mar 2005 08:24:18 -0800, "..brian.." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John wrote:
>> <wink>
>> What bothers me most, since your opinion on this subject is no

>doubt,
>> absolutely, and definitely right - what about those thousands

>(perhaps tens of
>> thousands) of poor people who have been deluded into thinking that

>Thunderbird
>> is a good program?
>> What are we going to do to save them from certain didaster?
>> </wink>
>>
>> John

>LOL. If you guys, Eudora lovers, want the TB users who can't think for
>themselves... feel free to have them! Nobody is tricked into using
>the always Thunderbird, a good and always free email client, which is
>very young in development.
>
>Hmm... TB 1.0 vs Eudora 6.2.1...

Hey, Brian: Lighten up! You obviously did not note I was poking fun at
(E-Mail Removed) and all others who are so absolutely convinced that the
program they are using is the absolute best, the only thing, and everything elso
is sub-standard.

In all fairness, there are Eudora users who feel that way, and there are
Thunderbird users who feel that way.

As far as I am concerned - I have a mail program I like and use, and it does the
job for me. My browser of choice is Firefox (the reason I monitor this group)
and my mail client of choice is not Thunderbird.
As far as anyone else is concerned: "Whatever blows up your skirt" (quoting Pat
Sajak).

So: Whatever blows up your skirt, Btrian (-:

John <><

coyote2@donotemail.com

On 2 Mar 2005 07:19:40 -0800, "..brian.." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I just have to say this. I installed Firefox several months ago, and
>> absolutely love it. I decided that Thunderbird might be just as

>good,
>> even though I have been using Eudora for nearly 10 years.

>Which is it? "nearly 10 years", or "using computers for 15 years".
>Make up your mind, or learn to lie consistently.
>
>> I have been using computers for 15 years, from Dos to Windows 3.x to
>> OS2, and some Macintosh use, and presently Windows ME. I am going to
>> be honest. Thunderbird was just added to my list of the top ten

>WORST
>> pieces of software I have ever tried. I do not like ANYTHING about
>> it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!

>But you enjoy using ME!? I'm amazed at your high-tech credentials, and
>now I value your opinion much more than /before/ I knew of your vast
>computer experience.
>
>But anyway, do you feel better now? It's too bad you just wasted time
>ranting about TB to people who don't give a ****. Just as I'm wasting
>my time replying to a Eudora fan-boy. Here in AFM, we don't care if
>you don't like Thunderbird; just quit using it. It's that simple.
>It's your choice, and you didn't loose anything by trying it. It's
>free.
>
>You might want to try your whining over on comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows
>-- with other people who love Eudora.
>
>Just as you hate TB, there are plenty of people who hate Eudora. I can
>post links to multiple newsgroup posts, and a ton of "Eudora problem"
>related posts from the Eudora lifespan. But I'm not going to waste my
>time pointing this out to a Eudora fan-boy.
>
>Personally, I hate the way Eudora looks and operates, and there is no
>way I would ever consider paying for it. But that's why I don't
>
>Here's something I hate more: that in all of Eudora's greatness, the
>makers decided that I can not disable HTML email... but worse yet...
>the user can't stop the email client from loading remote images. What
>a wonderful work of art!
>
>Keep using Eudora if you like it. And people who like TB will keep
>using it. You really wasted your time trolling around in here with
>your rants. So keep paying for and using your remote image loading,
>HTML loving POS email client.
>
>It's just that simple.
>
>comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

I am not trolling, as well as I am not telling anyone to, or not to
use Thunderbird. I am sure that those who work with Thunderbird read
this group, and I am giving honest feedback as to my experience with
it.

I said I used COMPUTERS for 15 years, Eudora for 10. Prior to that, I
did not have internet. In the early 90's most people used local BBS
services, as did I, and the internet was not readily available to the
public yet.

I am not sure why you dislike Windows ME. I used Win98 since shortly
after it became available. It always worked well, although it had a
few bugs. I recently got a copy of ME given to me, so I upgraded.
It's the same as 98, minus a few bugs. This is an older computer, and
most likely could not run XP. However, I do not like XP anyhow. It's
geared toward people that want to plug in their computer and not learn
how to use it. I like the ability to control what my computer does,
as 98 and ME allow. I have no interest in upgrading.

As for Eudora, it does have a few flaws, and you touched on the one
that I also find most irritating. I do not care for HTML email. This
is the biggest flaw in Eudora, along with occasional crashes. I
actually have TWO versions of Eudora installed. The very old TEXT
ONLY version 3.0.5, and one of the newer ones. Most of the time I
still use the old version 3.x because it is text only and very simple.
Thats the problem with most software, they keep adding useless junk in
order to make more sales. Emoticons is a good example of useless
garbage. These companies should learn the KISS method

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid.