Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird Reply Text Color

Thunderbird Reply Text Color

Himm

Is there a way to automatically change the color of text from black
(default) when replying to an email message?
~Himm

Leonidas Jones

Himm wrote:
> Is there a way to automatically change the color of text from black
> (default) when replying to an email message?
> ~Himm

If you compose in HTML, its quite easy. Note that many newsgroups frown
on HTML, and many users have their email clients set to view everything
as plain text, so whether or not people see the colors is an open question.

Open a Compose window in HTML Mode. Note, you are in HTML mode if you
see a formatting bar, allowing modification of text, font selection,
color, alignment, etc. If you don;t see that formatting bar, you are in
Plain Text Mode.

If, when pressing write, reply, etc, you get a plain text Compose
window, you have TB set to automatically compose in plain text. This
can be changed in Tools>>Account Settings>>(account)>>Composition and
Addressing. Check the box for Compose Messages in HTML. Note thqt this
can be done on an account by account basis, so it is very easy to, for
example, have mail accounts in HTML, and News accounts in Plain Text.

To toggle from one mode to the other, hold the Shift key down when click
ing Write or Reply, etc. If that account is set for Plain Text,
Shift+Write, will open an HTML window.

Lee

Himm

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Himm wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to automatically change the color of text from black
>> (default) when replying to an email message?
>> ~Himm

> If you compose in HTML, its quite easy. Note that many newsgroups frown
> on HTML, and many users have their email clients set to view everything
> as plain text, so whether or not people see the colors is an open question.
>
> Open a Compose window in HTML Mode. Note, you are in HTML mode if you
> see a formatting bar, allowing modification of text, font selection,
> color, alignment, etc. If you don;t see that formatting bar, you are in
> Plain Text Mode.
>
> If, when pressing write, reply, etc, you get a plain text Compose
> window, you have TB set to automatically compose in plain text. This
> can be changed in Tools>>Account Settings>>(account)>>Composition and
> Addressing. Check the box for Compose Messages in HTML. Note thqt this
> can be done on an account by account basis, so it is very easy to, for
> example, have mail accounts in HTML, and News accounts in Plain Text.
>
> To toggle from one mode to the other, hold the Shift key down when click
> ing Write or Reply, etc. If that account is set for Plain Text,
> Shift+Write, will open an HTML window.
>
> Lee

I know how to manually do it, I was asking if there is a setting that
can set the default font for replies as opposed to create new mail font.

Thanks

Moz Champion

Himm wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Himm wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to automatically change the color of text from black
>>> (default) when replying to an email message?
>>> ~Himm

>> If you compose in HTML, its quite easy. Note that many newsgroups
>> frown on HTML, and many users have their email clients set to view
>> everything as plain text, so whether or not people see the colors is
>> an open question.
>>
>> Open a Compose window in HTML Mode. Note, you are in HTML mode if you
>> see a formatting bar, allowing modification of text, font selection,
>> color, alignment, etc. If you don;t see that formatting bar, you are
>> in Plain Text Mode.
>>
>> If, when pressing write, reply, etc, you get a plain text Compose
>> window, you have TB set to automatically compose in plain text. This
>> can be changed in Tools>>Account Settings>>(account)>>Composition and
>> Addressing. Check the box for Compose Messages in HTML. Note thqt
>> this can be done on an account by account basis, so it is very easy
>> to, for example, have mail accounts in HTML, and News accounts in
>> Plain Text.
>>
>> To toggle from one mode to the other, hold the Shift key down when
>> click ing Write or Reply, etc. If that account is set for Plain Text,
>> Shift+Write, will open an HTML window.
>>
>> Lee

> I know how to manually do it, I was asking if there is a setting that
> can set the default font for replies as opposed to create new mail font.
>
> Thanks

Sure you can

Add this to userContent.css
Change the colour of quoted text in the editor (while composing
emails/news postings)
Add the following to userContent.css

span[_moz_quote=true] {
color: #000000 !important;
}

Where color specifies the colour for the quoted text.

You can use words instead of numbers as well
i.e.

span[_moz_quote=true] {
color: black ! important;
}

Making changes in the user files is MUCH simpler if you have the User
Proflie File Editor "ChromeEdit"
for example, all you have to do is cut and paste the above example into
the UserContent window provided by ChromeEdit, replacing the text there,
and save the file
ChromeEdit is available here
http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=22
note I use the bumped max version