Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Hotmail in Thunderbird

Hotmail in Thunderbird

cat_dog_ass

Is it possible to load my Hotmail emails to the Thunderbird client?

Leonidas Jones

cat_dog_ass wrote:
> Is it possible to load my Hotmail emails to the Thunderbird client?

Not directly. Hotmail is proprietary and will only work in OE.

However there is an open source project that will set up a proxy, and
allow Hotmail, Yahoo mail, Netscape webmail, and many other to be set up
as pop accounts in standard mail clients, such as Thunderbird:

www.freepops.org

Lee

..brian..

cat_dog_ass wrote:
> Is it possible to load my Hotmail emails to the Thunderbird client?

Yes, but you need to use a third-party program to translate the traffic
for you. I would suggest using FreePOPs [http://www.freepops.org].
FreePOPs works with AOL, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, and other popular
webmail sites "right out of the box", and there are plenty of other
"modules" available for other sites. You can have Windows run the
program at startup, or even have it running as a service.

Let me know if you decide you want to use FreePOPs and need help
setting up your accounts to use it.
--
Brian

..brian..

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> cat_dog_ass wrote:
> > Is it possible to load my Hotmail emails to the Thunderbird client?
> >

> Not directly. Hotmail is proprietary and will only work in OE.
>
> However there is an open source project that will set up a proxy, and

> allow Hotmail, Yahoo mail, Netscape webmail, and many other to be set

up
> as pop accounts in standard mail clients, such as Thunderbird:
>
> www.freepops.org
>
> Lee

Damn you! This delay on Google Groups sucks! <g>.

Leonidas Jones

...brian.. wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>>cat_dog_ass wrote:
>>
>>>Is it possible to load my Hotmail emails to the Thunderbird client?
>>>

>>Not directly. Hotmail is proprietary and will only work in OE.
>>
>>However there is an open source project that will set up a proxy, and

>>allow Hotmail, Yahoo mail, Netscape webmail, and many other to be set

> up
>
>>as pop accounts in standard mail clients, such as Thunderbird:
>>
>>www.freepops.org
>>
>>Lee

> Damn you! This delay on Google Groups sucks! <g>.

Thunderbird Rules!

Lee

..brian..

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> ..brian.. wrote:

client?

> >>Not directly. Hotmail is proprietary and will only work in OE.
> >>
> >>However there is an open source project that will set up a proxy,

and

> >>allow Hotmail, Yahoo mail, Netscape webmail, and many other to be

set

> > up
> >
> >>as pop accounts in standard mail clients, such as Thunderbird:
> >>
> >>www.freepops.org
> >>
> >>Lee

> > Damn you! This delay on Google Groups sucks! <g>.
> >

> Thunderbird Rules!
>
> Lee

Actually, having newserver access would rule I'm traveling and not
using my ISP, so have no "free" access.