Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > cookies turned off? No.

cookies turned off? No.

GFRfan

I recently migrated from Mozilla to Thunderbird. I like it. Not a lot of
operational difference from Mozilla.
There is at least one site giving me problems that didn't occur in
Mozilla, Netscape or Intercrap Explorer. It is:

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/

On these other browsers, I was able to simply go to the login page:

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/l...okiecheck=true

from the toolbar at the top, and would be automatically logged in. I now
have to go to the above page and then the login page and the username
and password will be there. If I try to go directly to:

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/l...okiecheck=true

I get a message that cookies are not enabled. But I know they are. The
login works on other sites I use. Why is this one giving me a hard time?
Cookies are set at "Allow sites to set cookies" and to keep them until
they expire.

..brian..

GFRfan wrote:
> I recently migrated from Mozilla to Thunderbird. I like it. Not a lot

of
> operational difference from Mozilla.
> There is at least one site giving me problems that didn't occur in
> Mozilla, Netscape or Intercrap Explorer. It is:
>
> http://www.presidentschallenge.org/
>
> On these other browsers, I was able to simply go to the login page:
>
> http://www.presidentschallenge.org/l...okiecheck=true
>
> from the toolbar at the top, and would be automatically logged in. I

now
> have to go to the above page and then the login page and the username

> and password will be there. If I try to go directly to:
>
> http://www.presidentschallenge.org/l...okiecheck=true
>
> I get a message that cookies are not enabled. But I know they are.

The
> login works on other sites I use. Why is this one giving me a hard

time?
> Cookies are set at "Allow sites to set cookies" and to keep them

until
> they expire.

Are you only having problems with that one page? You could try going
into the "exceptions" settings for cookies, and setting
"presidentschallenge.com" to "allow".
--
Brian

GFRfan

...brian.. wrote:
> GFRfan wrote:
>
>>I recently migrated from Mozilla to Thunderbird. I like it. Not a lot

> of
>
>>operational difference from Mozilla.
>>There is at least one site giving me problems that didn't occur in
>>Mozilla, Netscape or Intercrap Explorer. It is:
>>
>>http://www.presidentschallenge.org/
>>
>>On these other browsers, I was able to simply go to the login page:
>>
>>http://www.presidentschallenge.org/l...okiecheck=true
>>
>>from the toolbar at the top, and would be automatically logged in. I

> now
>
>>have to go to the above page and then the login page and the username

>>and password will be there. If I try to go directly to:
>>
>>http://www.presidentschallenge.org/l...okiecheck=true
>>
>>I get a message that cookies are not enabled. But I know they are.

> The
>
>>login works on other sites I use. Why is this one giving me a hard

> time?
>
>>Cookies are set at "Allow sites to set cookies" and to keep them

> until
>
>>they expire.

> Are you only having problems with that one page? You could try going
> into the "exceptions" settings for cookies, and setting
> "presidentschallenge.com" to "allow".

Thanks. I even cleared the cache and I still get the message:

"THERE HAS BEEN AN ERROR WITH YOUR ENTRY!

* Your browser cookies are disabled, browser cookies must be enabled"

And yes. This IS the only page so far.

Moz Champion

GFRfan wrote:
> ..brian.. wrote:
>
>> GFRfan wrote:
>>
>>> I recently migrated from Mozilla to Thunderbird. I like it. Not a lot

>> of
>>
>>> operational difference from Mozilla.
>>> There is at least one site giving me problems that didn't occur in
>>> Mozilla, Netscape or Intercrap Explorer. It is:
>>>
>>> http://www.presidentschallenge.org/
>>>
>>> On these other browsers, I was able to simply go to the login page:
>>>
>>> http://www.presidentschallenge.org/l...okiecheck=true
>>>
>>> from the toolbar at the top, and would be automatically logged in. I

>> now
>>
>>> have to go to the above page and then the login page and the username

>>> and password will be there. If I try to go directly to:
>>>
>>> http://www.presidentschallenge.org/l...okiecheck=true
>>>
>>> I get a message that cookies are not enabled. But I know they are.

>> The
>>
>>> login works on other sites I use. Why is this one giving me a hard

>> time?
>>
>>> Cookies are set at "Allow sites to set cookies" and to keep them

>> until
>>
>>> they expire.

>> Are you only having problems with that one page? You could try going
>> into the "exceptions" settings for cookies, and setting
>> "presidentschallenge.com" to "allow".

> Thanks. I even cleared the cache and I still get the message:
>
> "THERE HAS BEEN AN ERROR WITH YOUR ENTRY!
>
> * Your browser cookies are disabled, browser cookies must be enabled"
>
> And yes. This IS the only page so far.

Excuse me, what browser are you using?
You mention you recently moved to Thunderbird, but thats email
Did you stay with Mozilla for the browser, or go to Firefox?

Thunderbird isnt giving you that error, it cant go to a webpage.

Leonidas Jones

Moz Champion wrote:
> GFRfan wrote:
>
>> ..brian.. wrote:

>>> of

>>> now

>>> The

>>> time?

>>> until

>>> Are you only having problems with that one page? You could try going
>>> into the "exceptions" settings for cookies, and setting
>>> "presidentschallenge.com" to "allow".

>> Thanks. I even cleared the cache and I still get the message:
>>
>> "THERE HAS BEEN AN ERROR WITH YOUR ENTRY!
>>
>> * Your browser cookies are disabled, browser cookies must be enabled"
>>
>> And yes. This IS the only page so far.
>>

> Excuse me, what browser are you using?
> You mention you recently moved to Thunderbird, but thats email
> Did you stay with Mozilla for the browser, or go to Firefox?
>
> Thunderbird isnt giving you that error, it cant go to a webpage.

Hang on, it just might, if he's looking at this as an RSS feed in TB. I
occasionally see this error from some sites that are trying to see a
cookie as part of RSS feed I'm looking at in TB.

However, as Dan notes, we need more clarification as to which ap you are
using and exactly what is going on.

Lee

Moz Champion

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> GFRfan wrote:

>>> Thanks. I even cleared the cache and I still get the message:
>>>
>>> "THERE HAS BEEN AN ERROR WITH YOUR ENTRY!
>>>
>>> * Your browser cookies are disabled, browser cookies must be
>>> enabled"
>>>
>>> And yes. This IS the only page so far.
>>>

>> Excuse me, what browser are you using?
>> You mention you recently moved to Thunderbird, but thats email
>> Did you stay with Mozilla for the browser, or go to Firefox?
>>
>> Thunderbird isnt giving you that error, it cant go to a webpage.

> Hang on, it just might, if he's looking at this as an RSS feed in TB. I
> occasionally see this error from some sites that are trying to see a
> cookie as part of RSS feed I'm looking at in TB.
>
> However, as Dan notes, we need more clarification as to which ap you are
> using and exactly what is going on.
>
> Lee

An RSS feed that utilizes cookies?
trying to 'log on' with a RSS feed?

The second webpage he listed i.e.
http://www.presidentschallenge.org/l...okiecheck=true

gives me the same error he is getting
However, I hadnt signed up, so that might be the problem there (the sign
up may set your cookies)

If the OP signed up in Mozilla, and is now using another browser (say
Firefox?) he wouldnt have the proper cookies and the page error may be
substantially correct, tho not precise in it's determination

If the OP is using another browser, then I suggest he signs up WITH that
browser and then attempt to log on

Leonidas Jones

Moz Champion wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Moz Champion wrote:

>>> Excuse me, what browser are you using?
>>> You mention you recently moved to Thunderbird, but thats email
>>> Did you stay with Mozilla for the browser, or go to Firefox?
>>>
>>> Thunderbird isnt giving you that error, it cant go to a webpage.

>> Hang on, it just might, if he's looking at this as an RSS feed in TB.
>> I occasionally see this error from some sites that are trying to see a
>> cookie as part of RSS feed I'm looking at in TB.
>>
>> However, as Dan notes, we need more clarification as to which ap you
>> are using and exactly what is going on.
>>
>> Lee

> An RSS feed that utilizes cookies?
> trying to 'log on' with a RSS feed?
>
> The second webpage he listed i.e.
> http://www.presidentschallenge.org/l...okiecheck=true
>
> gives me the same error he is getting
> However, I hadnt signed up, so that might be the problem there (the sign
> up may set your cookies)
>
> If the OP signed up in Mozilla, and is now using another browser (say
> Firefox?) he wouldnt have the proper cookies and the page error may be
> substantially correct, tho not precise in it's determination
>
> If the OP is using another browser, then I suggest he signs up WITH that
> browser and then attempt to log on

I've got one RSS feed that compiles a wide variety of baseball articles
from various sources. Most come through fine, but some, notably the
Toronto Sun, complains that my "browser" won't accept cookies.

I also remember someone at secnews who had tried to subscribe to the
Washington Post RSS feeds in TB, and got the same warning, no cookies,
and a need to sign in. RSS in TB is a cool but imperfect thing. Its a
brave new world.

Lee

GFRfan

Moz Champion wrote:
> GFRfan wrote:
>
>> ..brian.. wrote:

>>> of

>>> now

>>> The

>>> time?

>>> until

>>> Are you only having problems with that one page? You could try going
>>> into the "exceptions" settings for cookies, and setting
>>> "presidentschallenge.com" to "allow".

>> Thanks. I even cleared the cache and I still get the message:
>>
>> "THERE HAS BEEN AN ERROR WITH YOUR ENTRY!
>>
>> * Your browser cookies are disabled, browser cookies must be enabled"
>>
>> And yes. This IS the only page so far.
>>

> Excuse me, what browser are you using?
> You mention you recently moved to Thunderbird, but thats email
> Did you stay with Mozilla for the browser, or go to Firefox?
>
> Thunderbird isnt giving you that error, it cant go to a webpage

Sorry. I meant Firefox. I switched to both Thunderbird and Firefox from
Mozilla. Sorry about my confusion. It is Firefox that I'm having the
problem with.

Moz Champion

GFRfan wrote:
> Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> GFRfan wrote:

>>> Thanks. I even cleared the cache and I still get the message:
>>>
>>> "THERE HAS BEEN AN ERROR WITH YOUR ENTRY!
>>>
>>> * Your browser cookies are disabled, browser cookies must be
>>> enabled"
>>>
>>> And yes. This IS the only page so far.
>>>

>> Excuse me, what browser are you using?
>> You mention you recently moved to Thunderbird, but thats email
>> Did you stay with Mozilla for the browser, or go to Firefox?
>>
>> Thunderbird isnt giving you that error, it cant go to a webpage

> Sorry. I meant Firefox. I switched to both Thunderbird and Firefox from
> Mozilla. Sorry about my confusion. It is Firefox that I'm having the
> problem with.

Well did you go thru the sign up process with Firefox? Its that process
that probably assigns you the cookies you now need (or its likely
anyway). If you signed up with another browser, then the cookies would
be on that other browser, not on Firefox.

GFRfan

Moz Champion wrote:
> GFRfan wrote:
>
>> Moz Champion wrote:

>>> Excuse me, what browser are you using?
>>> You mention you recently moved to Thunderbird, but thats email
>>> Did you stay with Mozilla for the browser, or go to Firefox?
>>>
>>> Thunderbird isnt giving you that error, it cant go to a webpage

>> Sorry. I meant Firefox. I switched to both Thunderbird and Firefox
>> from Mozilla. Sorry about my confusion. It is Firefox that I'm having
>> the problem with.

> Well did you go thru the sign up process with Firefox? Its that process
> that probably assigns you the cookies you now need (or its likely
> anyway). If you signed up with another browser, then the cookies would
> be on that other browser, not on Firefox.

I'll try later with a different ID. Don't want to lose what's already
there. Yes, it was signed up for with Netscape. It migrated fine to IE
and Mozilla. Not sure why it got lost in Firefox. I'll try it just to
see what happens and report back. Meanwhile, it's not a huge problem so
maybe we'll just live with it. Thanks for the comments.

How to detect if cookies are turned on or not? ozgan ASP .Net 0 08-16-2005 02:52 PM
cookies turned off? No. GFRfan Firefox 0 02-28-2005 08:41 PM
Re:Check if cookies turned on! Magnus HTML 3 05-11-2004 07:37 PM
Buffering cannot be turned off once it is already turned on. Lord Merlin ASP General 0 04-11-2004 06:04 PM

Advertisments