Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Filter Frustration

Filter Frustration

Mark Adams

I've got a filter setup to killfile an obnixous user in a newsgroup. It
seemed to work for a week or so, now I notice that messages from this
user are showing up again.

The filter log says that it is catching the messages and moving them to
a local folder, but the messages do not show up in a local folder and
appear in my newsreader. If I recall correctly, the filter was
originally set up to delete the messages it filtered. I did not create
this filter with a right click, I created it from scratch via Tools ->
Message Filter -> New.

Any tips on how to get a durable "killfile" filter working?
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash advance.

Leonidas Jones

Mark Adams wrote:
> I've got a filter setup to killfile an obnixous user in a newsgroup. It
> seemed to work for a week or so, now I notice that messages from this
> user are showing up again.
>
> The filter log says that it is catching the messages and moving them to
> a local folder, but the messages do not show up in a local folder and
> appear in my newsreader. If I recall correctly, the filter was
> originally set up to delete the messages it filtered. I did not create
> this filter with a right click, I created it from scratch via Tools ->
> Message Filter -> New.
>
> Any tips on how to get a durable "killfile" filter working?

Can you post the particulars of how you have set up this filter?

Lee

Mark Adams

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Mark Adams wrote:
>
>> I've got a filter setup to killfile an obnixous user in a newsgroup.
>> It seemed to work for a week or so, now I notice that messages from
>> this user are showing up again.
>>
>> The filter log says that it is catching the messages and moving them
>> to a local folder, but the messages do not show up in a local folder
>> and appear in my newsreader. If I recall correctly, the filter was
>> originally set up to delete the messages it filtered. I did not
>> create this filter with a right click, I created it from scratch via
>> Tools -> Message Filter -> New.
>>
>> Any tips on how to get a durable "killfile" filter working?

> Can you post the particulars of how you have set up this filter?

Tools -> Message Filters -> Bozos -> Edit:

Sender contains <bozo's_name>@<bozo's_domain>
Sender contains <Bozo's name as it appears in the "from" field>

Move to Folder Bozo's on Local Folder <--NOTE: this option is now
greyed out.

<check> Delete the Message
================================

I'd post log entries if I could find them on the disc.

Any help?

--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
Fortune's real live weird band names #776:

Whorgasm

Leonidas Jones

Mark Adams wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Mark Adams wrote:
>>
>>> I've got a filter setup to killfile an obnixous user in a newsgroup.
>>> It seemed to work for a week or so, now I notice that messages from
>>> this user are showing up again.
>>>
>>> The filter log says that it is catching the messages and moving them
>>> to a local folder, but the messages do not show up in a local folder
>>> and appear in my newsreader. If I recall correctly, the filter was
>>> originally set up to delete the messages it filtered. I did not
>>> create this filter with a right click, I created it from scratch via
>>> Tools -> Message Filter -> New.
>>>
>>> Any tips on how to get a durable "killfile" filter working?

>> Can you post the particulars of how you have set up this filter?

> Tools -> Message Filters -> Bozos -> Edit:
>
> Sender contains <bozo's_name>@<bozo's_domain>
> Sender contains <Bozo's name as it appears in the "from" field>
>
> Move to Folder Bozo's on Local Folder <--NOTE: this option is now
> greyed out.
>
> <check> Delete the Message
> ================================
>
> I'd post log entries if I could find them on the disc.
>
> Any help?

I'm not an expert on filters in newsgroups, I've used them extensively
in mail, but not for newsgroups.

However, I'll guess that you are trying to use actions that are
available for mail messages, but but not for news. Did you perchance,
set the filter up for a mail account, then move it to a news account?

Regardless, remember that news messages are stored on the server, many
email options won't work.

From here, action options for newsgroups are:

Label the message (with various options)

Change the priority to (with options)

Mark the message as read

Flag the message

Delete the message

Ignore thread

Watch thread

Most folks use Delete message to make it go away.

Lee

Mark Adams

Leonidas Jones wrote:
> Mark Adams wrote:

> I'm not an expert on filters in newsgroups, I've used them extensively
> in mail, but not for newsgroups.
>
> However, I'll guess that you are trying to use actions that are
> available for mail messages, but but not for news. Did you perchance,
> set the filter up for a mail account, then move it to a news account?

Nope.

> Regardless, remember that news messages are stored on the server, many
> email options won't work.

I am aware of that.

> Most folks use Delete message to make it go away.
>
> Lee

I may have fixed it. I unsubscribed from the newsgroup, resubscribed
and created the filter before downloading headers again.

It's working again. We'll see if it sticks this time.

Thanks.
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
"It's Choi."
"Yeah. Yeah. You're two hours late."
"I know, it's her fault."

-- Choi and Neo, "The Matrix"

Splibbilla

Mark Adams <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:1109561760.2039c4e5a950e4d64f5ecf8664ee398f@t eranews:

> I may have fixed it. I unsubscribed from the newsgroup, resubscribed
> and created the filter before downloading headers again.

some hindsight wondering...
maybe some condition of the failed filter changed? such as renamed destination folder?

though this is puzzling:
Mark Adams :

--
WinMe, Moz1.7.5Gecko/20041217, all profiles: GoogleBar/XPI-rimental,PrefBar,bugmenot,,, and???CopyURL, IEView. Usually
java off, js on. Could GoogleBar "merge" with (added) SrcChooser in PrefBar? (v. 3.1, build date 2005020

Mark Adams

Splibbilla wrote:
> Mark Adams <(E-Mail Removed)> in news:1109561760.2039c4e5a950e4d64f5ecf8664ee398f@t eranews:
>

>>I may have fixed it. I unsubscribed from the newsgroup, resubscribed
>>and created the filter before downloading headers again.

> some hindsight wondering...
> maybe some condition of the failed filter changed? such as renamed destination folder?

Nope, everything on this end is the same and the user I'm filtering
didn't change anything that I can see.

> though this is puzzling:
> Mark Adams :

No kidding, it is a puzzler.
--
Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
http://adamslan.shyper.com

CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
Oh, I get it!! "The BEACH goes on", huh, SONNY??

Leonidas Jones

Mark Adams wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Mark Adams wrote:

>> I'm not an expert on filters in newsgroups, I've used them extensively
>> in mail, but not for newsgroups.
>>
>> However, I'll guess that you are trying to use actions that are
>> available for mail messages, but but not for news. Did you perchance,
>> set the filter up for a mail account, then move it to a news account?

> Nope.
>

>> Regardless, remember that news messages are stored on the server, many
>> email options won't work.

> I am aware of that.
>

>> Most folks use Delete message to make it go away.
>>
>> Lee

> I may have fixed it. I unsubscribed from the newsgroup, resubscribed
> and created the filter before downloading headers again.
>
> It's working again. We'll see if it sticks this time.
>
> Thanks.

Keep us posted, good luck!

Lee